Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin rant thread!..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

There's not much I hate about Dublin, but

1) Litter. So much of it, and nobody seems to be enforcing litter laws.
    2) Skangers. I won't generalise by naming areas, or types of clothes etc. We all know a skanger when we see/hear one.
    3) Blatant drug use on the streets. People shooting up, or clearly off their tits on heroin, shouting up and down the street to their druggy mates.
    4) The overkill of Centras/Spars/Londises. FFS every second shop you pass on the street in the City Centre is one of the above.

Dublin's great though, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

mikemac wrote: »
    That still goes on?
    I thought those days were long past

Well, it hasn't happened to me since January, but that's not really that long ago... ;)

I had a drunk guy before Christmas offer to help me park in a space. Oddly enough, I trusted my own judgement more than his, because I could see that there was only one car - he seemed unsure as to how many of me there were :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

- The skangers on the street (there really is a lot of them!).
    - Public transport.
    - Price of a pint / night out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

[quote=[Deleted User];59231532]I disagree. There might be some but not nearly as many, they're not everywhere and don't make as much of a nuisance of themselves. It's one reason I'm so glad I left Ireland.[/quote]

What a load of crap.
    Scangers are EVERYWHERE on earth,they might look slightly different but anybody with an ounce of street smarts will be able to spot them.
    If you think there arent many elsewher go to the suburbs of any large french city and you wont see skangers you will see ANIMALS...you'd be begging for the nice friendly Dublin version.
    And the of course there's the english version called Chavs..some of these creatures actually never learned how to speak properly from years of inbreeding and parental abuse,they're common in scotland and wales too.You should check it out.
    Back on topic there's a scuttery little dog yipping away three or four gardens up and it never shuts up.I'm going to lob a grenade over the wall when the owner is out feeding it(assuming they do).
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• What a load of crap.
    Scangers are EVERYWHERE on earth,they might look slightly different but anybody with an ounce of street smarts will be able to spot them.

Well how strange that any city I've ever lived in (and they include NYC, Manchester, Seville, Valencia, Paris and Brussels) has not has as bad of a skanger problem as Dublin has. Yes of course they are everywhere, but the hassle to the GENERAL PUBLIC is far, far less than it is in Dublin. The worst place for skangers I've lived in was probably Paris, and as you said yourself, you have to go out to the suburbs. They aren't generally hanging around the city centre and tourist spots, as they do in Dublin. They are very, very visible and make the place an absolute kip. I rarely met a tourist (worked in the tourist board) or a foreign student who didn't comment on them.
    And the of course there's the english version called Chavs..some of these creatures actually never learned how to speak properly from years of inbreeding and parental abuse,they're common in scotland and wales too.You should check it out.

Check it out? I'd say I know more about the UK than you do, having been born there, grew up there and have half my family still living there. Your condescending attitude makes me laugh. Do you really think you're the only person to have lived outside Dublin?

Look, I've lived in plenty of places and I've never had as much hassle from these inbred morons as I get in Dublin. I have never witnessed smoking and drug taking on public transport, never seen anyone stoning a tram, never had eggs thrown at me. These are common occurances in Dublin. Yeah sure there's crime in other cities, but I think you'll find it's a lot more along the lines of pickpocketing and robberies than attacking and harrassing people 'just for the laugh'. That's the thing I find really sick about Dublin skangers, the disgusting stuff they do 'because they're bored.' Of course there's an element of this almost everywhere, but I've never lived anywhere where it's as normal and in your face as Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭in2dblue

I hate the way my neighbours take up three parking spaces outside my home where I struggle to find one!!
    I hate the way 'skangers' shoot up right in front of me walking around town
    Even wandering into my place of work and doing it!!!
    I hate the way cyclists NEVER stop at a red light and nearly mow me down when I'm crossing at the green man!!
    I hate the way there isn't lots to do that doesn't involve drink..
    Rant over :)
    Apart from that I love living in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

[quote=[Deleted User];59236304]

Look, I've lived in plenty of places and I've never had as much hassle from these inbred morons as I get in Dublin. I have never witnessed smoking and drug taking on public transport, never seen anyone stoning a tram, never had eggs thrown at me. These are common occurances in Dublin. Yeah sure there's crime in other cities, but I think you'll find it's a lot more along the lines of pickpocketing and robberies than attacking and harrassing people 'just for the laugh'. That's the thing I find really sick about Dublin skangers, the disgusting stuff they do 'because they're bored.' Of course there's an element of this almost everywhere, but I've never lived anywhere where it's as normal and in your face as Dublin.[/quote]

I must just be lucky. I've lived, worked and played in the city centre for 14 months now. I've never once experienced anything more unpleasant than reasonably good-natured unfortunates crossing my path, certainly never any confrontations such as you describe. To be fair I'm not out and about late at night when this might be more prevalent. As I say, I might just be lucky...
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I hate that I've been living here for five years now and still never think of it as "home". :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I have the same gripes as other people in this thread; public transport, junkies and what we refer to as 'scumbags'

At the risk of sounding pious and arsey - what bothers me most is how so many people in Dublin think the 'scumbags' just emerge from the womb, and are destined for nothing but a life of scumbaggery.

Think about this; the scumbags you see every day are sons & daughters, brothers & sisters, cousins and/or neighbours of someone in this city. In a very real way, they are a part of the community. The community should mean something to them ... for the most part it doesn't ... but ignoring them doesn't make them go-away.

I have kids - I'll do my best to ensure they don't become scumbags. I do this by knowing the kids friends, by getting involved in the sports clubs and local facilities like cubs/beavers etc. I know the kids in their schools, and I know their parents. None of these kids are inherently scumbags ... they develop over time ... and we all have a responsibility to them.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is the 'scumbags' don't exist in a vacuum, and if enough people show enough interest in enough of these kids when they are young ... we would all be better off.

As a child, if I ever felt tempted to act the bollix, the sure and certain knowledge of what my parents would do was enough to stop me. I'm not advocating corporal punishment for wayward kids ... but they should have some fear of their parents. Parents should know where their kids are. Friends and neighbours should be looking out for each other.

20 years after raising her own kids, my mother now runs an 'after-school' club in the local adult education centre; she is giving some of these kids a better chance. People who give their time to youth centres, outreach projects, cubs/beavers/scouts, boxing, football or GAA clubs all at the local level, these people deserve our support, our time and our money.

So, think on. The thieving scumbag junkies that blight our city today, used to be kids, and they used to have a chance at life ... what happened ?

Now that we're all equally broke, maybe we'll start caring about our communities and our place in society ... and stop thinking about big-screen TV's, blu-ray recorders, flashey mobile phones and fuppin' pesto on our pizzas.

I'm fulla beer ... night night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

00:01am and the thread is closed!.

If anyone would like the rule re. talking of neighbourhoods/area's etc be over turned now PM me please.

Truthfully, I think there's a need for open discussion. But its a hell of a job for a Moderator and so the rules would have to be observed to the fullest.

PM, any opinions either way.

-Martin.

(drunk as a lord - Thanks Mr.Campion!).

**edit, two people were banned for the duration of this thread, their both welcomed back with open arms now"".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement