Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks - but No Thanks?

Options
  • 28-02-2009 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

The ability to add a quick "Thanks" onto a post you approve of has been very successful since it was introduced no so long ago. It's similar to the thumbs up system most of us would be familiar with from blogs, Youtube comments or Yahoo Answers for example.

Since it has worked so well, why not allow people to say "No Thanks" to a post, i.e. the equivalent of a thumbs down?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

cos you can't use search. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

kaimera wrote: »
    cos you can't use search. :(

I asked a straight forward question - can't you give a straight forward answer?
    Yes I can use search - but what should I be searching for? Have you missed my point or have I missed yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

thank you for your explanation eVeNtInE. I had thought that abuse of the system might be a factor but isn't there a limit to how many 'thanks' you can hand out per day? If there was an even stricter limit on the 'nothanks" (that keyword could solve the search issue) then perhaps it might work. Another option could be to allow a certain amount of credits per day that could be used for either thanks or nothanks.

If the admins don't want to do it and it's been discussed before - well that's no skin off my nose but I don't read every thread on this site :)

I don't want to re-hash a topic that seems to have been brought up before but it just seems a little one sided that you can only approve but not disapprove with a click of your mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

It is a nice idea, there are times when I come across a post that I agree with 100% and If I don't want to contribute because said poster has already put what would have been my point across ,I thank the post.
    Why can it not be used in reverse?

/wait...
    Because I have just thought of something.
    To agree you only have to press the Thanks button.
    That says it all./ie: you agree with the post.

To have a button where you disagree would have that poster querying as to why you disagree.

It just doesn't work in the same way.

So , say you post something I agree with,I will Thank your post and you will be happy that someone else is thinking along the same lines as you.

Now lets say you post something that I disagree with, and I can press another button to say so, wouldn't you be inclined to quote and ask why?

It would just go back and forth in a disagree situation.

Thats why I think it wouldn't work.
    But I have been known to be wrong.
    See what you think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I think we are thinking along the same lines here,eVeNtInE.

Thanks guys - you have both given very good reasons why it wouldn't work in practice. I appreciate you taking the time to do that instead of simply giving the standard 'do a search' response - if I could give a 'no thanks' those kind of posts would be ideal candidates for such a vote :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not to upset the love-in here, but what type of boardsie would want a feature that just lets you click someone else's post away as shit without making the basic effort to ignore, report or rebutt it?

It's just a recipe for bad karma and abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Karma being quite apt, given the old system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If you disagree with a post and can't manage to phrase an argument to why you disagreed with it, then your reasons for disagreeing with it aren't very well thought out.

Yahoo answers has a different format and a different purpose. It makes some sense there to have a "down" and an "up". One of the advantages there is that it stops people having discussions instead of answering questions. Here, we actually want people to have discussions.

Advertisement