Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certain Unmentionable Concert Promoters

Options
  • 28-02-2009 10:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Given that your history with CUCP (Certain Unmentionable Concert Promoters) goes back nearly 3 years, isn't it time to reconsider?
    What's changed?

1. Lots of time has passed, maybe they couldn't care less anymore
    2. Facebook, bebo, blogs even bigger than they were and I'm sure CUCP get hammered there too.
    3. Bad publicity for CUCP more likely if they try 'censoring'.

I'd like to suggest a strategy. Remove your own censorship quietly. Monitor the outcome. If CUCP issue another threatening letter, ask the relevant posters to place their comments on facebook, bebo etc and ask the poster to put a link from the boards.ie post, while removing the direct offensive reference.
    Tell CUCP that you have complied and refer them to legal departments of facebook, bebo etc.

My guess is they won't bother you in the first place. Too busy sorting out their recession strategy I'm sure.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I don't think this is, well, open for discussion tbh.

Just a hunch, mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

They haven't just issued a letter, they are suing Boards.ie

Your stratagy is a little idealistic IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Users can't discuss policy and make suggestions?

conolan wrote: »

Not in relation to an ongoing legal matter, no.

Boards is quite right in their position on this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No. Not when users posts and opinions can be used against Boards.ie in a court of law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Users generally have less knowledge about legal matters than lawyers do, so no not in this case.

Is it ongoing? Is there a court date? Have documents been filed in court?

Check the public record.

Boards is under no obligation to keep the community informed on this matter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No discussion means no discussion.

Check the public record.

Nothing since 2006. Nothing on courts.ie as far a case listing is concerned.

• Advertisement

Well there you go. I'm sure when the company receive legal guidance to the effect that the matter can be discussed openly, then we'll know.

Until then, you'll get no further information here.

The problem for those who are interested is that we can only assume that nothing is happening (therefore CUCP have 'won' by default) unless we know that the case will come to court.
    If this issue in general never comes to court in Ireland, we're left with a problem.
    Interesting though this English judgement as reported by TJ McIntyre

http://tjmcintyre.com/2008/08/judge-bulletin-board-users-say-first.html

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We are in an ongoing, protracted court case as detailed before. We have exchanged documents and are awaiting further instructions.

Thats all I can or will say at this point. Sorry, I'd say more but I cant.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement