Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Attic Conversion

• 28-02-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I am currently having the attic converted in my new house. We haven't moved in yet and are waiting for this to be finished as well as floors/carpets. I went around to the house this morning to check on how things were going. Should I expect the company doing the conversion to touch up walls, etc which have been scratched/marked by taking equipment up and down the stairs? They have also left doors, skirting and tools lying up against newly painted walls which are now in certain places dirty and marked.

How tidy/clean should I expect the house to be after such an intrusive job?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You dictate that . Have a polite but firm talk now so you make your expectations clears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Ironingboard
    First of all get out your digital camera take photos of damage. Talk to the company doing your work. Insist all these items are put right and to your satisfaction. Take no fob off you should expect to get your property back the way it was + the work done in prestine order. Remember you hold the purse strings and the photographs(evidence)

Heatherview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

I agree with heatherview...

As long as you've got the money for doing the job in your pocket and not theirs, then PLAY BALL!!!

The house should be as good or bad as you want it to be...take photos and send them to the company demanding the repairs done and make sure you hold onto your well earned cash until it is all done to your satisfaction.

It's their fault if they couldn't protect the walls, skirting from damage while working in your house not yours...

don't be soft on them either. Construction is a cut throat business...give a contractor even the faintest sniff of money and you'd be amazed what they'll do for you...as long as you keep the money until they've finished the work that is...

a small bit of huge advice: Never pay a contractor upfront for anything...the minute you do you lose your bargaining capabilities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

Remember that a contractor would put your skirting boards diagonally on the walls if you told them to and if you pay them to do it...or your insulation inside out.

They might even try to build your house upside down...as long as you keep throwing money at them and telling them that that's the way it has to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

OP just a note of caution about the above advice. If you don't before as well as after photograph's they don't really stand up. I would suggest to approach the contractor and discuss your issue and not the confrontational approach because it don't really work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Cheers folks.

I have taken photos. It's just hard to get a new house and see it torn apart three days later. I paid about 33% up front and he won't be getting the rest unless I'm fully satisfied. He has fooked me around a bit with the dates and made things awkward with regard to floors/carpets fitting. thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Be firm but fair and don't take any silly business.
    Don't start off being confrontational, keep it business like but be firm.

Photograph the damage for your records. If necessary state that you will get this work repaired by others and deduct cost of making good from Attic Converters invoice - (it won't come to that)

Advertisement