Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could only see one musical in London...

Options
  • 28-02-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

... what would it be? We will be in London Apr 13th-18th and wanted to see a show. I was really hoping something like Mary Poppins would be running, but it is finished it's run. I'd love to see The Lion King, but hubby not that keen.

We are a 30ish couple and I would prefer something where I would recognise some of the music. We saw Chicago the last time we were in London, and while we liked it, I think hubby would prefer something with a bit of dialogue.

I see Wicked gets a lot of rave reviews, would that be worth a try? What about 'We will Rock You', hubby quite keen on that since he is a Queen fan. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Not sure if its still on but i went to see Thriller in Picadilly. If you like MJ you will love this(even if you don't you will still love it!). It was in the lyric theatre. Tickets around €50. Book early...

http://www.elondontickets.com/show_details.php?show_id2=138&show_id=138&date=0209

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Of all the shows in London at the moment, Billy Elliott is the must see IMO. As someone who's seen Wicked 9 times, I love it, but not everyone does, hubby might not like it. WWRY is fun but the story is weak, Lion King is quite childish and I slept through almost all the first half!

My musical hating Hubby has seen Billy Elliott 4 times, twice without me. We've taken the inlaws, other family and friends and everyone loved it. It's not the same as the film, none of the music is in it. But the music that's in it is funny and clever and powerful (Elton John wrote it) as is the show in general. I really can't recommend it highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

When I was last in London with my ex who absolutely detests musicals we went to see Wicked and Guys and Dolls (with Patrick Swayze as Nathan Detroit :p).

He hated Wicked but loved Guys and Dolls, so I'd definitely recommend that if it's still running.

There's enough dialogue to keep non-musical enthusiasts interested and it's a very fun show to watch. Said ex particularly enjoyed the stripping scene in the Hotbox... :rolleyes: Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

went with the missus to see Dirty Dancing, I really wasn't too keen on it at all (it was her birthday!) but seriously, it was a great show, very entertaining.

On in the Aldwych Theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

For me I would say Wicked, no question :) ..would give anything to go right now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenny_adams

Jesus Christ Superstar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 star-bright

Wicked, it's the most amazing thing ever!!! Its got everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I'd recommend either Wicked or the Lion King.

I was previously a musical "un-enthusiast" if thats a word (doubt it!) but the missus started taking me to shows, and some are great!

I've seen:

Grease
    Blood Brothers
    Mama Mia
    The Lion King
    Chicago
    Wicked

The 1st three I saw in Dublin, saw The Lion King on the West End, and Wicked & Chicago on Broadway; and I have to say, Wicked or The Lion King would get my vote.

I'm not ghey I swear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 star-bright

The Lion King is good but Wicked is more memorable and just has the Extra WOW factor!! I saw them in London on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SaintHubbins

I'm not really a fan of musical shows but loved Phantom of the Opera. It's based on a great story and the production values are fantastic. Songs are pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Wicked is terrific. If you want to know some of the songs going in then get the soundtrack before hand. I've heard great things about Billy Elliot too.

A friend of mine saw We Will Rock You and hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Wicked really is fantastic. I saw it in New York last week.

Tbh I haven't heard much amazing about The Lion King. From what I can tell I don't think I'd be hugely into it, the soundtrack isn't something that rocked my world.

I'd love to see the West End production of Avenue Q, I'd like to see what the difference is from the Broadway.

I saw My Fair Lady and Grease a few years ago. Grease was a great great show, it was brilliantly entertaining with a great cast (about 6 years ago mind you). I've heard great things about Billy Elliot also. God I could just spend weeks upon weeks seeing musicals everywhere. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bongo2

I went to see La Cage aux Folles recently. Very funny. Graham Norton was brilliant in it.

Jesus Christ Superstar!

It's not on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

athtrasna wrote: »
    Of all the shows in London at the moment, Billy Elliott is the must see IMO.

My musical hating Hubby has seen Billy Elliott 4 times, twice without me. We've taken the inlaws, other family and friends and everyone loved it. It's not the same as the film, none of the music is in it. But the music that's in it is funny and clever and powerful (Elton John wrote it) as is the show in general. I really can't recommend it highly enough!

+1

I'm not too crazy about musicals myself (sorry fans of musicals) but I enjoyed this so much my girlfriend couldn't believe it. She dragged me there and next time we are in London I'm gonna drag her there this time. Enjoy whatever you go see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mrs Fed

I would love to see Billy Elliott,
    I have seen Cats, but that was many years ago. I found it excellent!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm leaning towards Wicked, the only thing that would turn me off it is not knowing the music, so might see if I can download the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If your hubby isn't into musicals, Wicked may not be the best option. I personally think it's by far and away the best over there but the best bit about it is the songs. So if he'd be more into something with a story I'd recommend something like Blood Brothers. The only thing is that Blood Brothers regularly comes to Ireland so I wouldn't "waste a go" by deeing it in London; I'd go for the big, lavish productions.

As for not knowing the songs in Wicked, I deliberatly stayed away from them. I purposely didn't listen to the full soundtrack before going. This, and Beauty and the Beast, were the only times I've done this. And I thikn it may have added to the experience. You're so blown away by hearing them for the very first time!

I'll say it again, Billy Elliot is the show! It's got the guy thing, it's hilarious in parts, sad in others, and at the end of the day you leave the theatre with a really good feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

fonpokno wrote: »
    Wicked really is fantastic. I saw it in New York last week.

I absolutely hate you :p
    Tbh I haven't heard much amazing about The Lion King. From what I can tell I don't think I'd be hugely into it, the soundtrack isn't something that rocked my world.

I saw this in London last May and really enjoyed it. The opening scene was just amazing.
    I'd love to see the West End production of Avenue Q, I'd like to see what the difference is from the Broadway.

It's closing this month isn't it? I'd love to see it too but not gonna happen unfortunately.
    I saw My Fair Lady and Grease a few years ago. Grease was a great great show, it was brilliantly entertaining with a great cast (about 6 years ago mind you). I've heard great things about Billy Elliot also.

Grease was the very first show I ever saw on the West End when my mom brought me to London for my 12th birthday. To be honest it's so long ago now I barely remember any of the production but I remember being so excited about it all. Aw, memories.
    God I could just spend weeks upon weeks seeing musicals everywhere. *sigh*

Hell yeah. Pretty much my idea of heaven really :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

It's closing this month isn't it? I'd love to see it too but not gonna happen unfortunately.

Yeah it is, I really wanted to see it in London but it won't be happening for me either.

Grease was the very first show I ever saw on the West End when my mom brought me to London for my 12th birthday. To be honest it's so long ago now I barely remember any of the production but I remember being so excited about it all. Aw, memories.

Yeah me too! Went over with the parents one weekend and went to it. Barely remember it too but I just remember it being great!

Hell yeah. Pretty much my idea of heaven really :)

I know, after I saw Wicked I didn't want to do like any other sight seeing, I just wanted to dance up and down Broadway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 legallybrunette

We Will Rock You if it's still on is a very good show! Saw it about 2 years ago in the West End with my mum and my aunt, neither of whom are big musical fans and we all loved it! It has a good bit of dialogue and it's not drawn out. Enjoy whichever you decide to go see!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lolabug

I'd agree that Wicked probably isn't the best idea if he's not that into musicals although I think it's AMAZING!!
    As many others have suggested I'd def recommend Billy Elliott. Think he'd really like it. I THINK Avenue Q is going to be reopening in a different theatre at some stage so def check out if it's still on when you're there. There's no possible way he wouldn't enjoy that. It's hilarious! So so clever...seen it 3 times now.
    Was over last week and we went to Jersey Boys which is good fun too. Not the greatest show I've ever seen but you'll be amazed at how many songs you recognise in it. Missed out on Thriller Live but clips I've seen from it look really good.
    Can't really go wrong with Les Mis or Blood Brothers either.
    um...yeah...i like my musicals!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fizzles

I got tickets for Xmas present for Dirty Dancing. Not really into
    musicals but must say it was fantastic. Nearly crying when it ended as
    I wanted it to go on and on and on....... Highly recommended. Think it
    finishes its run in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

Went to see Billy Elliott and I have to say it was the best musical I have ever seen .
    Couldnt reccomend it highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just wanted to thank you all for the replies. We were in London last month and we decided on Phantom of the Opera, it was amazing, couldn't recommend it enough. It was wonderful knowing so many of the songs and the production was so polished and slick. I would go and see it again in a heartbeat, and the great thing is, because it isn't a new show or doesn't have a big name in it, the tickets weren't too expensive. Loved, loved loved it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Schumacher1

I always book dress circle row A as centre as possible. In London.
    The seats you pick make all the difference. Always try and book your tickets well in advance.

The sets and sounds are the most amazing thing about them to me.

The sound of music was fantastic.

Mary poppins was amazing, a 3 story house set. with the attic able to move up and down with actors on it.

Wicked is amazing too. fantastic colour sequences in the middle

Phantom was good

Les mis everyone has to go .. its the law,

Spamalot was hilarious (saw it in Vegas, and the Jew bashing section in the middle went down like a lead balloon (except us howling)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Are you a Monty Python fan at all?

Advertisement