Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry

Options
  • 28-02-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

How many poems per poet would I need to know?

I should really know by now, but meh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I would say 4 or 5. I learned 5 for most poets when I did my LC, but for Plath and Rich, iirc, I only did 4, as I could get enough out of their poetry that having another poem to discuss would make the answer far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You need to answer on at least 4 poems per essay, according to my English teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

Feck, was planning on doing three. :P

I'll get four done, and milk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Always name the 6 poems, and talk about 4.

What's the point in naming a poem you're not going to treat in your essay? o.O What relevance does it have? Why not name every other poem the poet has written, too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I reckon you could lose marks for not using a poem you said you wore going to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Well on my mock I had an essay on (Id imagine most people are done English by now but I'll spoiler it anyway)
    Emotional Intensity

Now Ive done The Filling Station, The Fish, First Death In Nova Scotia (lessthanthree), Sestina, and The Prodigal.

Not a whole lot relating to the essay title in The Filling Station or The Fish, so I didnt deal with them. I know its only three poems, but can you still get a high mark if you only do three in the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What's the point in naming a poem you're not going to treat in your essay? o.O What relevance does it have? Why not name every other poem the poet has written, too?
    creggy wrote: »
    I reckon you could lose marks for not using a poem you said you wore going to discuss.

My teacher told us you always should right the names of the 6 poems.:confused:

Ask your teacher why. I once briefly mentioned a poem and didn't give it a proper treatment and my teacher told me off for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I can't see what purpose it would fulfill, also it might just look to the corrector that you had grand plans to answer 6 got caught for time halfway through and only answered 4, that is how I would interpret it anyway, were I a corrector. I couldn't see it adding anything to an answer anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ask your teacher why. I once briefly mentioned a poem and didn't give it a proper treatment and my teacher told me off for it.

I think one of your teachers hasn't corrected exam papers before tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

You could write all 6 poems down in the introduction and if you don't use a certain poem at all in the question, just scribble it out back in the introduction.

There's no set number of poems that have to be dealt with. You could theoretically answer on just two and get full marks, but, you'd want to have one hell of a good answer. The truth is, 99.9% of people wouldn't have the skill to answer on just two, or even three, it's safer to go with at least four. I personally answer using four poems, without mentioning others, and I've never had any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

We've been told to know 4 in very good detail, and 2 in good detail.

And link them with different points, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

for an essay on michael longley, what 4 poems would you advise writing an essay on? we studied poteen, wreaths, last requests, self heal, and an amish rug. ive only ever written essays on 3 poems, and ive always done poteen, wreaths and last requests because theyre similiar enough, but i cant find a way to link in either of the other 2 with those...should i learn "wounds" by myself as it seems to be based around the troubles and violence etc aswel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

for an essay on michael longley, what 4 poems would you advise writing an essay on? we studied poteen, wreaths, last requests, self heal, and an amish rug. ive only ever written essays on 3 poems, and ive always done poteen, wreaths and last requests because theyre similiar enough, but i cant find a way to link in either of the other 2 with those...should i learn "wounds" by myself as it seems to be based around the troubles and violence etc aswel?

I studied Wounds, Wreaths, Last Requests, Self Heal and An Amish Rug.

With wounds and wreaths I talk about war and how it affects ordinary people.

Last Requests and Self heal I talk about how they are poems based around regret (Longly wishes he had had a better relationship with his dad/the girl wishes she didn't tell on the boy as he was curious and didn't know consequence of his actions etc. and say how you can relate to the theme of regret)

An Amish rug I either take alone or if need to fill up pages take wounds also and talk about the brilliant descriptive writing etc.

I haven't studied Poteen but you should prob. study wounds as it's very similar to wreaths and there's good descriptions used in it which u can talk about.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Yup thats great thanks a mil!! *wanders off to learn wounds....
    :rolleyes:

Yup thats great thanks a mil!! *wanders off to learn wounds....
    :rolleyes:

alri no prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I usually do 3 or 4 and get good marks; teacher's a lazy fúcktard though so now I'm getting slightly worried...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Anybody doing Walcott?
    Apparently he is highly likely to come up because he is new and Obama quoted him.

We started studying him last week.
    I don't really know what to think of him and it resulted in me having a row with my english teacher about him. One part of me really likes his poetry because he is a genius at writing it. He can stick to really strict poetic forms and almost all of his poetry follows some pattern. He's kinda the opposite to Rich in a lot of ways. His poem Omeros is 7,000 lines long and he won a nobel prize for it.

However the other side of me really hates the guy and I would find it hard to write about him without having a negative view of him which I think would make it more difficult to write about him. His biographical note in poetry now is ten pages long but worth reading. The guy is a stubborn, arrogant, wife-beating, alcohol abusing, unhappy, depressed, anti-social, b*stard.

The row I had with my teacher centred around the poem "The Young Wife". She said that the poem is a very genuine and sympathetic poem to help his friend deal with losing his wife. I said that how could it be genuine because he is being a hypocrite as he spent his time beating his wives and having affairs on them, yet here he is trying to help a friend with the loss of his wife?

Just to clarify, I really dislike the poet as a person but like certain aspects of his poetry. What does everyone else think?

• Advertisement

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Anybody doing Walcott?
    Apparently he is highly likely to come up because he is new and Obama quoted him.

I don't really know what to think of him and it resulted in me having a row with my english teacher about him. One part of me really likes his poetry because he is a genius at writing it. He can stick to really strict poetic forms and almost all of his poetry follows some pattern. He's kinda the opposite to Rich in a lot of ways. His poem Omeros is 7,000 lines long and he won a nobel prize for it.

However the other side of me really hates the guy and I would find it hard to write about him without having a negative view of him which I think would make it more difficult to write about him. His biographical note in poetry now is ten pages long but worth reading. The guy is a stubborn, arrogant, wife-beating, alcohol abusing, unhappy, depressed, anti-social, b*stard.

The row I had with my teacher centred around the poem "The Young Wife". She said that the poem is a very genuine and sympathetic poem to help his friend deal with losing his wife. I said that how could it be genuine because he is being a hypocrite as he spent his time beating his wives and having affairs on them, yet here he is trying to help a friend with the loss of his wife?

Just to clarify, I really dislike the poet as a person but like certain aspects of his poetry. What does everyone else think?

Say exactly that...that you think he's a hypocrit... the idea of poetry is to say what you feel about the poetry and in some respects the poet... don't think you just have to be positive all the time and saying he's a hypocrit is prob very original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Anybody doing Walcott?

I think that it's good that you don't like him, and disagree with your teacher. It means you have your own opinions, which are equally valid.

The person correcting your test doesn't have to agree with your point-of-view. If you make a point and back it up with good evidence they have no choice but to reward you.

I say ignore your teacher, draw your own conclusions giving sufficient evidence in favour of your opinions, and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cill-bill

if ur looking for the best result do 5 in great detail and on the hardest poet, at my christmas test( we got an old mock) i done a q on John Keats and had 36 quotes, still only got 80% for the q tough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

My teacher has a huge reputation for being a hard marker but is getting 24% actually possible for a 5 page Walcott essay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Fringe wrote: »
    My teacher has a huge reputation for being a hard marker but is getting 24% actually possible for a 5 page Walcott essay?

Only if you never referenced the question, never quoted, didn't talk about 4 poems and mention a fifth, and didn't give your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

With your answer don't write about each poem seperately. Deal with the themes and issues seperately, and with the relivant material from each poem. Get a pattern going, intro on theme, then poems 1, 2 and 3 in very good detail with poems 4 and 5 in lesser detail, in fact just to briefly mention when they are relivant is enough. Then move on to theme/issue 2, and mentions poems 1, 2 and 3 in the same order in good detail, then the other two in lesser detail.

By keeping an orderly structure like this you help to structure your essay more, which will leave a better impression on the teacher/marker.

And to answer your question, three in high detail, two in basic knowledge, more than three in detail and you won't have time to get deep enough which is the whole point.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

cill-bill wrote: »
    if ur looking for the best result do 5 in great detail and on the hardest poet, at my christmas test( we got an old mock) i done a q on John Keats and had 36 quotes, still only got 80% for the q tough

You'd get crucified in an exam for having that many quotes. How you express your knowledge and understanding of what the poet says in his/her writing is what is being examined, not the poet's work. By filling up the essay with large quotes/ proliferation of irrelevent quotes, you risk giving the examiner the impression that you are going for quantity over quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ak51535

well in my pre's i answered on walcott and talked about 'For Adrian', 'A Letter From Brooklyn', 'A Sailor Sings Back To The Casaurina's' (mouthful) 'St Lucia's First Communion' and 'Endings'.
    It seemed easy to relate the topics and themes. For each one i mentioned an everage of 5 quotes, but thats just me, it really depends on how much info you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

A little tip I picked up when doing my LC was to pick very generic quotes to learn from the poets that you could fit into and use in a variety of topics and themes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Four is plenty I think. Like, I'd know 3 really well, and talk mainly about them. Then I may throw in one or two more poems in one paragraph.

Depends on the poet and their poems as well though.

Advertisement