Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

For a general question like do you like/dislike this persons poetry, should you go through each poem one by one and say what you like about it or should you mention a theme etc per paragraph and reference each of the poems in that paragraph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shockhorror27

you have to make mention of six poems, that are what the markers are told. make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Reilly616 wrote: »
    Only if you never referenced the question, never quoted, didn't talk about 4 poems and mention a fifth, and didn't give your opinion.

That's where I don't get what I did wrong. I talked about why I liked Walcott and had 3 general points, his dissatisfaction with the church, the warm personal imagery and techniques and how he deals with loss. I mentioned 6 poems and quoted every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Fringe wrote: »
    That's where I don't get what I did wrong. I talked about why I liked Walcott and had 3 general points, his dissatisfaction with the church, the warm personal imagery and techniques and how he deals with loss. I mentioned 6 poems and quoted every now and then.

I was told in the Institute to have at least 5 points in your poetry essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

you have to make mention of six poems, that are what the markers are told. make of that what you will.

No we didnt even study 6... max u NEED is 6... u only have to write on at least 4 or some people are tol d 3 is sufficent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

An File wrote: »
    You'd get crucified in an exam for having that many quotes. How you express your knowledge and understanding of what the poet says in his/her writing is what is being examined, not the poet's work. By filling up the essay with large quotes/ proliferation of irrelevent quotes, you risk giving the examiner the impression that you are going for quantity over quality.

Hardly. Once you make relevent statements and can back them up with reference to the poems then use as many as you need if it proves what you're saying.

Hardly. Once you make relevent statements and can back them up with reference to the poems then use as many as you need if it proves what you're saying.

No not necessarily... Yes quotes should be used to back up points but or two max should be used to back up a point, not several. Quotes are best used when they flow with your answer (can't propely explain what I mean by that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I'm considering only studying Rich and Bishop. One of the female poets will surely come up.
    Too risky?

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    I'm considering only studying Rich and Bishop. One of the female poets will surely come up.
    Too risky?

I'm sorta bankin on Bishop and Longly... Tis risky but a female poet comes up every year, and bishop didn't come up last year so...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone who spends the time needed to write 30 quotes, as well as the fully structured essay around them, will suffer in other areas of the exam paper.

The best writers are the ones who can say a lot in very few words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Too risky?

I think that's too risky, I'm only planning on doing 3 poets and I'm not going to do any women

I think that's too risky, I'm only planning on doing 3 poets and I'm not going to do any women

Ye prob better off doin 3 poets but I'm pretty sure a female poet comes up every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Too risky?
    I might expand that to include Longley aswell. No more than that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TEA!

Teferi wrote: »
    A little tip I picked up when doing my LC was to pick very generic quotes to learn from the poets that you could fit into and use in a variety of topics and themes.

that's not a bad idea - how did you get on in english??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

are the poems do are set down by teachers or can you pck your own ?-because i am thinking if you can pick you own it wouldent do any harm to study one of the bronte poems, there is a good chance your teachers wont know them ,and they are easy to learn they were writen from the heart. like; no coward soul is mine ;[emily bronte] a english girl with a irish dad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

You can't do that. On the syllabus, there's prescribed poems that you can only do. You can't just do other poems by the poets.

Advertisement