Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roy the boy launches an autobiography

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I started reading it last weekend, I got to the part where he was discussing being HU with Thorson in the Betfair E Open or w/e its called >> then I read the line which went something like this..

'id had a couple of small results in the previous year of about 40k or 50k, but nothing major, after all they are just small fry results in this game'

tbh, when I read that I feared that it was going to set a tone for the rest of the book and it seriously dampened my enthusiasm for continuing to read it, i havnt opened the book since. Like this was gonna be a huge result for 120k if he won it but 50k touches were insignificant.
    Agree with the above at times he seems to contradict himsef, sometimes on the same page and I wonder how on earth this got past any sort of editing etc. It's got a few little errors like that, but the lack of editing and the pace at which he wrote I grew to like after 20 pages or so. It was never intended to be a work of art and instead of glossing it up he just left it fairly raw. When I realised this the little errors didn't really bother me anymore and I got through the first 100 pages pretty fast and considering I rarely get through 5 pages before falling asleep I think that says something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I started reading it last weekend, I got to the part where he was discussing being HU with Thorson in the Betfair E Open or w/e its called >> then I read the line which went something like this..

'id had a couple of small results in the previous year of about 40k or 50k, but nothing major, after all they are just small fry results in this game'

tbh, when I read that I feared that it was going to set a tone for the rest of the book and it seriously dampened my enthusiasm for continuing to read it, i havnt opened the book since. Like this was gonna be a huge result for 120k if he won it but 50k touches were insignificant.

Maybe the title was huge for him on a personal level, I found Andy Black shedding tears after winning 190k$ in the premier league last year a bit odd but it was obviously the title rather then the money that brought the emotion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

semibluff wrote: »
    bit of a contradiction there rob!!

lol it's a care-o-meter..i was waiting for a thread to use that bad boy

other than that i'll get it if i come across it in a book shop..so probably next time i'm in a airport

nicnicnic wrote: »
    Maybe the title was huge for him on a personal level, I found Andy Black shedding tears after winning 190k$ in the premier league last year a bit odd but it was obviously the title rather then the money that brought the emotion

roys results are good and everything but over a 7 year period considering buyins, travel, accomodation etc i cant really see the big deal.. did he clean up in cash games or something?? it just seems a bit early in his career with not many massive results to be writing a book about it.. andy black should be writing the autobiography.. that would be a good read

dont really know why i quoted you nicky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

The book might be great, I haven't read it.

But with such a dramatic press release you have to expect people to take the piss a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Is this book widely available? I just cant ever see any poker books for sale even in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cloudymouse

any one that buys his book need's their head examined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

tipp86 wrote: »
    Is this book widely available? I just cant ever see any poker books for sale even in cork.

I got my copy in the new release section in Easons in Letterkenny so I'd say you could get it pretty much anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I'm still laughing at the care-o-meter a week leter. Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

ianmc38 wrote: »

careometer.gif

care_o_meter.jpg

• Advertisement

ffs Grafter I just wasted 30 secs playing hangman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

ocallagh wrote: »
    ffs Grafter I just wasted 30 secs playing hangman

Did you win?

Grafter wrote: »
    Did you win?
    not even close!

ianmc38 wrote: »

if it wasn't me it was (hopefully) gonna be someone else

jbravado wrote: »
    Stop being quite so Irish FFS.

i wont!!! and i'm norwegian!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭HighFinance

Irish Times gave Life's a Gamble a good review today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0316/1224242903865.html

b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Irish Times gave Life's a Gamble a good review today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0316/1224242903865.html

b.

The mathematician references are laughable though. I can't say Roy ever struck me as being some sort of maths genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I believe Roy is going to be in The Eglinton Galway on Friday night signing copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The profit on books must be mega. I bought mine in Dubray in Stillorgan Shopping Centre for €13.99. Two weeks later I saw it in Bookstation about fifty yards away at €9.74.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I read this in record time. Very interesting read.

There is an e-book seeded here

• Advertisement

books only cost a couple of euro to produce each..if even that

jbravado wrote: »
    WTF this could be a decent read it could be a bad of misery who knows.LOL at people being irked by over zealous press releases(read ever?). Stop being quite so Irish FFS.

lol no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I got it last week and quite enjoyed it.
    How bad was the Jackpot in those day?
    a Run of 8 or 9 wins on every night?
    Some of the prize pool didnt seem to make sense either
    20 or 30 players giving up a couple of grand for the winner doesnt sound right for midweek games.
    An interesting read though.
    I felt sorry for him for a large part of it and though 'this bloke needs help'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I've been talking to Roy about this book a lot over the last year and it was a real labour off love for him. I'm delight to see him getting it out there and going so well.

He does read and post here sometimes, maybe someone thats in regular contact with him could ask him to do a "Well" for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Theeglinton

Lads

Roy is down in our club on Friday night and we are giving away free signed copies for everyone that plays in our 100f/o there's also a bounty on roys head of a free ticket to the Fitz's in touch charity tournament ( 500€ buy in )
    See our thread on real world tournaments

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055514577

Dave C

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=70402678139

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Just finished reading this and taught it was an excellent read.

Like some of the other posters I found some of the details a bit questionable, but putting that aside it was a very compelling read.

For me Roy was unbelieveably honest about his problems and addictions. It gave me an insight into how difficult life can be struggling with depression, a gambling addiction or both.

Congrats to Roy on his book and I wish you every success in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

After the first 2 chapters I was very sceptical. I finished it yesterday and overall I would have to say it is a good read and would recommend that people take the time out to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Just published my own review this morning. (I'm a slow reader. :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

NickyOD wrote: »
    Just published my own review this morning. (I'm a slow reader. :rolleyes:)

Nice review.... I'm sold!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

has anyone read roy brindley lifes a gamble? A good read?

Advertisement