Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Soil

Options
  • 28-02-2009 2:45pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any advice on purchasing top soil/ prices etc. In Dublin. Need about 4 tonne. Quoted about Euro300. Is this a good price. Filling up 2, 8 X 4 foot raised veg beds and a bit to level the area they're on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Be very careful on where you purchase TS, many sources sell crap and full of weed etc. Good quality and screened TS is what you need.

Top quality TS is available in tonne bags from Tully's Nurseries (delivery service available). Actually the soil has approx 25% compost added so it tends to be very workable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You'll also need to check the Ph of your garden's soil / clay & get topsoil with a matching Ph. I'd make sure to check the Ph of the topsoil when it's delivered just to make sure. A tester kit will set you back around a fiver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You'll also need to check the Ph of your garden's soil / clay & get topsoil with a matching Ph.
    why do they need to match?

why do they need to match?

If they don't - chaos would ensue. ;)

Sorry - I didn't read the question correctly. I thought he wanted the topsoil to add into an existing vegetable bed.. if the pH of the soil for an existing bed is suitable for the vegetables growing in it, then I would always add topsoil with a similar pH. Don't break it if it's already fixed!

If it's a new bed however, it's just a case of picking a topsoil with a slightly acidic pH - vegetables grow best in a soil with a pH of 6.5, although a pH of 7-7.5 helps curb root disease in cabbages.

The pH of any soil can of course be altered, but it's easier to get it with the pH that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

If they don't - chaos would ensue. ;)

Sorry - I didn't read the question correctly. I thought he wanted the topsoil to add into an existing vegetable bed.. if the pH of the soil for an existing bed is suitable for the vegetables growing in it, then I would always add topsoil with a similar pH. Don't break it if it's already fixed!

If it's a new bed however, it's just a case of picking a topsoil with a slightly acidic pH - vegetables grow best in a soil with a pH of 6.5, although a pH of 7-7.5 helps curb root disease in cabbages.

The pH of any soil can of course be altered, but it's easier to get it with the pH that you want.

That's a new one on me and as a matter of interest do you know where the OP could obtain TS with a pH > 6.5?

OP - mixing TS is absolutely no problem, unless you want CSI certified growing conditions, quality of soil structure is most critical factor for good growing conditions. Spending €5 on a packet of seed would make a much better investment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'm completely filling two raised beds from scratch with the same soil. Should be OK?

That's a new one on me and as a matter of interest do you know where the OP could obtain TS with a pH > 6.5?

OP - mixing TS is absolutely no problem, unless you want CSI certified growing conditions, quality of soil structure is most critical factor for good growing conditions. Spending €5 on a packet of seed would make a much better investment.

It is a fact that most veg grow better in a soil of pH 6.5. Mixing 2 different soil types is generally not a problem, but again, you'll get better results if they are of a pH of 6.5 or close enough to it. For flower beds, the pH can be slighty higher.

Any good supplier of topsoil will be able to provide you with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dec.foley

OP, 300 euro for 4 tonne is a bit steep at the moment.
    good quality pre-screened 1 tonne bags were 60each last year on the northside.
    would expect to get it cheaper now

depends on where you are and if theres a big delivery charge etc ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Advertisement