Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left4Dead tips

Options
  • 28-02-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hi was wondering if anyone has any great places to ambush that they would like to share as infected or great ways to go as survivor?

Also are items placed at random in the levels such as molotovs or are they fixed?

Does the tank bar still waste down when he is not being attacked, have only been able to play a little while in the last few months and there has been a few changes.

Worst change would have to be the tank spawning at the same time, twice in a row the tank spawned as soon as the survivors left the safe room(4 times if counting both sides) was crazy everyone died quickly and it wrecked it. They should have added a timer a least where it cant spawn for at least a minute

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Pff I'm not sharing my tips :)

Small items are placed at random, by the AI Director. Better weapons are placed in a certain spot, and that spot is the same for both teams (when playing Versus). So if you're playing second, you'll know where the better weapons will be.

Tank bar still goes down if you're not attacking anyone. You have to hit people, either with your tanky fists or by throwing rocks/objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It sounds obvious, but coordinated attacks are about the only thing that will likely succeed against a well organised team. There is little use in a single hunter pouncing on a survivor surrounded by the other unoccupied survivors. Attacks from behind are always a good way of getting any stragglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Smokers are not damage dealers, use them to slow the suvivors, like in No Mercy, near the petrol pumps in the second chapter.
    Once the survivors activate the scissor lift and attrach the Horde, they will likely sprint across the roof, the smoker should be down on the yard hidden by the parked lorries waiting to pull a survivor down onto the ground and hold the whole team up.
    If you do some damage in the process, all well and good, but that is not what you should be after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Has a Smoker on NM2 I usually hide on top of the cement bags behind the last lorry facing the window. Nearly always a guarantee pull.

Ive also managed to pull a survivor out of the lift has the door is closing.

Smokers are not damage dealers, use them to slow the suvivors, like in No Mercy, near the petrol pumps in the second chapter.
    Once the survivors activate the scissor lift and attrach the Horde, they will likely sprint across the roof, the smoker should be down on the yard hidden by the parked lorries waiting to pull a survivor down onto the ground and hold the whole team up.
    If you do some damage in the process, all well and good, but that is not what you should be after.

If they are smart they will all hide in the 1st floor room beside the petrol station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The old don't stop moving tactic works well for some maps for Survivors particularly NM1. Also im finding going through the window route now in that level catches most infected off guard as most think you'll come through the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Ah yes, one i noticed today in rooftop final. survivors will always through a molotov up to the rooftop. When its burned out and they start to climb and the boomers/hunters pounce if the smoker positions itself on the platform/room roof beside it they can cause havoc by pulling someone off while the others are getting boomered/pounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Ah yes, one i noticed today in rooftop final. survivors will always through a molotov up to the rooftop. When its burned out and they start to climb and the boomers/hunters pounce if the smoker positions itself on the platform/room roof beside it they can cause havoc by pulling someone off while the others are getting boomered/pounced.

Yup, always put the smoker next to the sat dish, and has long as a hunter don't pounce your target ul more than likely get a incap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Well anytime I do that, the Smokers tongue swings him against the wall of the building instead of dropping him to the ground.

Also that is a perfect time to get behind the airducts on the roof to spawn and try to catch the last person off the roof. The remaining survivors will have to get on top of the building with the dish to have a hope of helping.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

koneko wrote: »
    Pff I'm not sharing my tips :)

Small items are placed at random, by the AI Director. Better weapons are placed in a certain spot, and that spot is the same for both teams (when playing Versus). So if you're playing second, you'll know where the better weapons will be.

Tank bar still goes down if you're not attacking anyone. You have to hit people, either with your tanky fists or by throwing rocks/objects.

lol. QFT.

No way am I sharing my favorite ambush points.

One tip though: Hunter + Fire + 25DMG Pounce = Profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Does the tank bar still waste down when he is not being attacked

The bar will drop yes, but it sometimes a good tactic to let it – another player will take control off a fresh tank. This works great if the players are sitting in a good spot to defend. They will be still be wearing down there ammo and might throw molvs too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

grizzly wrote: »
    The bar will drop yes, but it sometimes a good tactic to let it – another player will take control off a fresh tank. This works great if the players are sitting in a good spot to defend. They will be still be wearing down there ammo and might throw molvs too early.

Watch out though because if it drops twice then the tank is controlled by a bot and now some servers let it cycle through all 4 players and if it drops for all 4 then the tank disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I saw this the other day actually was wondering why i gained control of the tank. So if you dont attack it will be given to someone else and they'll get a full one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, it will be the same tank with the same health as it was left with by the previous player.

But in that time the other players can still respawn as the special infected? It would almost make sense to go through a tank cycle without attacking just so the special infected could get another respawn or two in, no?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yes. A lot of people don't actually attack with the tank as certain maps have places that are extremely tank-unfriendly. You can effectively 'park' the tank somewhere and the AI tank won't activate until the survivors come near. The AI tank sucks but it can be better than the alternative sometimes.

When a tank keeps his distance and starts lobbing rocks at you like mortars, just shoot the rocks until the tank switches to AI.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

On BH5, don't bother attacking the survivors when they get to the drop down to the crops. If you boomer them the horde has to climb up the wall which is useless. Instead go spawn beside the tractor and boomer bile them in the crops. The survivors can see directly ahead through the crops so attack them in diagonals or from the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Has a Smoker on NM2 I usually hide on top of the cement bags behind the last lorry facing the window. Nearly always a guarantee pull.

Ive also managed to pull a survivor out of the lift has the door is closing.

Been wondering about that - what happens? Presume the lift carries on and you kill them. But if you had them dragged out and someone shot you just before the doors closed - do they get left behind and trapped down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's a ladder inside the elevator shaft, so they could climb up maybe, if the doors can be opened again. If they can't....well, I'd be just crouched in a corner weeping with fear. :D

My tip - don't let friends play under your nickname!

Let my friend play an entire campaign of No Mercy last night, he just ran ahead firing the M16 on full auto left right and center, shot teammates, didn't help them when they were in trouble, fell off ledges countless times, used his health pack on himself when he had 90 health and teammates were on the verge of death, jumped into the middle of hordes, startled the witch - all under the name TerrorFirmer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

One thing really making my arse itch in this game is fooking NOOBs that play hunters and pounce on a smokers kill while I still have them...FFS.
    If I am a hunter I will not pounce on another players kill unless its absolute vital....

I soooooo fooking hate that...I mean its hard enough to get points with the smoker without talentless asshats robbing points!

Great game all the same.:P

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Been wondering about that - what happens? Presume the lift carries on and you kill them. But if you had them dragged out and someone shot you just before the doors closed - do they get left behind and trapped down there?

The doors open automatically after a few seconds, giving them access to the ladder. Its a loooong way up :)
    But yes, if they don't manage to shoot you off whoever got dragged out before the doors open, that person is f**ked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It would be quite hard to pull off (pardon the pun) but super if you got it.

Add me for L4D....Source: wondaboy007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I find the best place to boom the survivors is in those rooms they check for goodies. Like in No Mercy, when you get to the end of the train, you can either go left through a door up the stairs, or right, into the room with those big pipes. That would be a good booming spot.

Another good place is the lift - spawn there as it's moving down and surprise them. There are also vents in that area that you can drop down from.

Good teams know about those spots though, and when they hear a boomer they'll just spray bullets through the walls and kill him :(

(so get your hunter buddies to cause massive distractions :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Yeah but I like to spawn at the last possible moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

a good smoker tip:
    i cant for the life of me remember the name of the level so ill give a quick description:

subway full of broken trains, at the part where they've just come up the stairs from the turn styles. the first train, as you look at it side on, to the right there's rubbish allowing you to hop on top of the train. go up to the end where there's a gap between the train roof and the start of the tunnel. wait till the survivors have gone on ahead a bit, spawn, and pull any stragglers backwards. coordinate this with a hunter pounce on the lead and a boomer vomit in the middle as they come back to help your vic and your pretty much guaranteed a kill. i got the 'get two incapacitations as a smoker' achievement this way

also, if your looking to get the double jump hunter achievement you can get it if you've pounced a survivor and get knocked off just once you manage to pounce a different one before you die. you don't even have to do any damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Seen this happen on 2 occasions. On BH5, right outside the spawn on the left hand side, kinda behind the door which the survivors come out of, there is a small ledge behind a rock. Spawn there as smoker and grab either the first or last survivor. If you get to pull the survivor close enough(maybe 1-2 seconds of a drag) once the survivors free the person, they fall off the edge of the cliff and die.

Advertisement