Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reeks

Options
  • 28-02-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0228/kerry.html

Yet another life lost on the mountain , very very sad news.

By Alpine standards Carrantuohill is only a mere hill , but a very dangerous hill , many lives have been lost on the Reeks over the years . Let me state i know nothing about the circumstances of the latest tragedy , but so many times have we seen idiots scampering around the mountain dressed in sunday casuals and runners , with a 70cc bottle of water .

Was on the mountain myself last saturday , still a lot of deep snow patches remaining in the valleys and overhangs at that stage , and looking good for another top up later this week.

Have some very good photos from that trip but as a mark of respect ill not post them till a later date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yes sorry to hear that, Carrauntuohil can be a dangerous climb. I cringe at the amount of people i have seen climb it in improper equipment/boots. Even with good mountaineering knowledge and equipment, it can still be dangerous, one freak gust of wind, falling rock can be lethal.

Advertisement