Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No to Lisbon

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Why would that be a good thing?

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

Maybe he believes that IMF's combination of tax hikes and public expenditure cut-backs would be "nicer" than that of the Government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Are the most salient words in your rant:)

I'm not quite sure why you're taking it as a rant. I told you the real reasons why the EU approve our budget. But I do have contempt for any reasons to vote against a treaty that have nothing to do with said treaty. The reason you came up with is the most ridiculous one that has come up here in a long time, and there have been many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Why would that be a good thing?

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

1: Because they will achieve the cutbacks in the cost of running the country and leave more money in peoples pockets.

2: they will take the flak for the pain and give the Gov time and space to focus on getting Lisbon through this time, a bit like the theory of NAMA: let the backs get on with lending and and not loan loss management, the latter is very very time consuming.
    View wrote:
    Maybe he believes that IMF's combination of tax hikes and public expenditure cut-backs would be "nicer" than that of the Government?

They would cut the cost of running the country which is the better way to do it rather than by increased taxes now AND a promise of a minimum increase in tax rates for the next 4 years along side aspirational mutterings about PS reform, a threat of a raft of new taxes as well as an expected increase in the 3rd level registration charge so as to avoid the word fees.

The Gov is telling us that income tax rates have remained unchanged but the Gov take has increased through levies: Treating people as if they are stupid:D

Advertisement