Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When and how to move plants and small shrubs?

Options
  • 28-02-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

I have a smallish planter at the back of my garden. When I got a small shed installed I moved some of the Shrubs and now the planter looks like a mess. I want to revise the layout of the shrubs but don't want to do this if they don't take to the new location.

Anyways, I heard you should only move plants and shrubs at certain times during the year. Anyone know when is the best time to do this?

Also, what is the best method? Should I use some moss peat to enrich the soil? Should I water the ground well before, during or after the relocation.

Thanks in advance, Astro.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

astrofluff wrote: »
    I have a smallish planter at the back of my garden. When I got a small shed installed I moved some of the Shrubs and now the planter looks like a mess. I want to revise the layout of the shrubs but don't want to do this if they don't take to the new location.

Anyways, I heard you should only move plants and shrubs at certain times during the year. Anyone know when is the best time to do this?

Also, what is the best method? Should I use some moss peat to enrich the soil? Should I water the ground well before, during or after the relocation.

Thanks in advance, Astro.

Most plants/shrubs can be transplanted during Oct-Mar, therefater the risk of drying out due to treminal root damage/dry soil etc is very high, and some are trickier than others to transplant.

Before moving shrubs prepare the new site, dig well add compost not moss peat and mix in some slow release/general fertiliser.

Moving plants: first water the planter, this will make it easier to remove rootball, if you envcounter resistance water profusely with garden hose to effectively wash soil away from root system.

Transplant plants, backfill with soil/compost mix, heel in well to ensure the shrubs are firmly secure in new location. Water well and monitor for any signs of drying out. A small tip might to create a little well around stem of shrub which will hold some extra water. Note plants should not be planted any deeper than original height in previous location.

If your plants are deciduous, even easier to transplant, providing you do so before buds start appearing.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks for all of that Sonnenblumen.

This should be well within my capablilities however, I don't have a compost heap, so is there something from the garden centre I could pick up?

Also on the fertiliser, I wouldn't have any in my shed, is this stuff expensive and should I be looking for a particular brand which is slow release fertiliser?

Cheers, A.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

astrofluff wrote: »
    Thanks for all of that Sonnenblumen.

This should be well within my capablilities however, I don't have a compost heap, so is there something from the garden centre I could pick up?

Also on the fertiliser, I wouldn't have any in my shed, is this stuff expensive and should I be looking for a particular brand which is slow release fertiliser?

Cheers, A.

A few bags of compost (NOT moss peat) would be helpful, expect to pay around € 7.00/70L bag at your local DIY/Garden Centre.

You can choose form a wid erange including Fish,Bone & Blood which is dry and fine, Slow Release (Westlands is only one of several brands available) or you might even see some 3-5kg special packs for Veg plots.

A good addition to improve soil condition is also to add a few bags of farm yard manure, this should also be available from local stores and again only costs a few €€ a bag.

Advertisement