Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharpening your images...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 whitetea

I thought that when you delevelop a RAW file in Lightroom or Camera RAW or other popular application, they do a default amount of sharpening for you.. Isn't that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

We did a lot of investigation and testing on image sharpening following a discussion last year with Sineadw and Valentia about Pixie images not being as sharp as Flickr.

We concluded that when images are resized (reductions), they loose their sharpness due to the fact that a smaller number of pixels are now responsible for providing the same information as the larger image. Pixels fold onto each other and hence become blurred. I guess this is why they talk about heavier sharpening for "web images". What they really mean is images that have received a large reduction in size from the original as web images are typically around 500px wide.

We now use an algorithm similar to "unsharp mask" on all resized images and have different presets based on the amount of reduction taking place. Going from a large full size image to a 500px has totally different parameters than going from a 800px to a 240px. We ended creating a formula that provided radius, amount and threshold parameters for a resizing of (w1 x h1) to (w2 x h2) and this seems to work perfectly 99% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I usually use a combination of unsharp mask and high pass filter + soft light for my images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Link to a good article on the 'Unsharp Mask' in Photoshop.

linky: http://photojojo.com/content/tutorials/photoshop-sharpening/

I suppose, for web pics I should have been sharpening alot more !, especially landscape.

It's a different way of sharpening than I'd be used to, I rarely go over 150% nevermind up to 400%, but I don't think I've ever used the threshold slider either. I must give it a go.

Advertisement