Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clearance, Do i still have it?

• 28-02-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Just wondering would i still be ok with regards to this.

I got Garda clearance when I was working for a security firm in 2003 (after the leving cert), then in 2004 I moved to Amsterdam for a year and a half working legally in a pub. I paid tax and had a dutch social security number but never reported my self to the foreign police.

In 2006 i began a college course which i finish this year. For a lot of jobs I would need to get this clearence (i belive it's for the past 8 years of your life).

So would anybody know if id be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hey lads,

Just wondering would i still be ok with regards to this.

I got Garda clearance when I was working for a security firm in 2003 (after the leving cert), then in 2004 I moved to Amsterdam for a year and a half working legally in a pub. I paid tax and had a dutch social security number but never reported my self to the foreign police.

In 2006 i began a college course which i finish this year. For a lot of jobs I would need to get this clearence (i belive it's for the past 8 years of your life).

So would anybody know if id be ok?

When I worked in the airport last year we were told it would be repeated at least every five years - as you've missed that I'd say you'll need to be re-vetted. Not sure if that's a Garda thing or a DAA (who issue the permits) thing, though.

It's also quite possible that the second you left the employment of the security firm your clearance was invalidated. Who's to say where you've been, who you've been seeing or what you've been doing in the meantime. For example, I was only cleared this time last year, but as I left the airport in November, I'm fairly sure if I wanted a job again that needed it, they'd do it again.

Considering the clearance is probably as simple as typing your name into PULSE, and checking your known associates and their records, I don;t see how it takes as long as it does, either. Pain in the tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

From what I've heard backround checks are done by 3 external companies which is the reason it takes so long.

Advertisement