Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threads not being marked as read

Options
  • 28-02-2009 6:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting this a lot recently, I view a thread (via the ?goto=newpost link) and then use the link at the bottom to go back to the forum it's in.
    When I do this, the thread appears unread even though there have been no new posts.
    Sometimes it takes 2 or three views before it appears as read.

Could it be something on my end? cookies? or how does vB determine a thread was read?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Controlled by cookies; I've never experienced the problem myself on any machine I use, that said, I use a similar setup on every machine.

I don't think I use the goto=newpost option much either.

Does this happen every single time?
    What browser are you using?
    Do you have an anti-virus/firewall/phishing filter installed that might be blocking cookies to some extent?

I think this is probably something clientside, but we'll see what the common factors are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks Ross.

FF3 / XPpro

I'm pretty sure I'm not blocking anything sent by boards, I only block any cookies sent by offsite hosted images in a thread but I can't see this having any effect.

Using Trend Micro client/server AV on the machine that I see it on.

I'll dig into this a bit further on other machines / browsers /AV and report if I can see any relationships.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement