Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long awaited Penneys city centre expansion

• 28-02-2009 7:17pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The long-awaited expansion of Penney’s into the former Egan’s Pub commenced this week, with the new 40,000 sq ft store set to open in time for Christmas 2009.

With numerous well known outlets such as Sasha and O’Brien’s Sandwich Bar closing in recent weeks, the massive three-storey Penneys will be a welcome addition to city centre shopping and provide a much-needed boost to the flagging retail sector.

The €8m redevelopment will significantly increase the existing Barronstrand Street shop’s floor space and result in the provision of a number of new sections, such as Primark Homeware. An estimated 80 jobs will be created during the construction phase and it is hoped that work will be completed by the end of the year. Existing trading is to move to Railway Square during construction.

The company purchased Egan’s Pub in May 2004 and the proposed expansion programme was subsequently held up in the planning stages for a number of years. An appeal to An Bord Pleanala by Green Party activist Brendan McCann and Thomas Griffin of Blackfriars was eventually overruled, provided fourteen conditions were adhered to. These included the preservation of the pub’s external façade on the lower level, with old red sandstone and limestone to be used by the developer.

Source: http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/long-awaited-penneys-city-centre-expansion/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

im so excited cant wait i love penneys its such good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Did the Munster not notice that O'Briens is re-opening?

As for the move, are they going into the unit between Centra (opening next Tuesday BTW) and Storm? The builders have been working in there for over a week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    Did the Munster not notice that O'Briens is re-opening?

Not sure it was known by the time of print.
    As for the move, are they going into the unit between Centra (opening next Tuesday BTW) and Storm? The builders have been working in there for over a week.

I was really hoping when I saw work in there that somebody finally bought a unit. I mean, its taken ages for Centra to get open and I thought there was a glimmer of hope.

I thought that Pizza crowd get permission to open a unit there anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Sully wrote: »

It's been known for at least two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I miss Egans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

I was really hoping when I saw work in there that somebody finally bought a unit. I mean, its taken ages for Centra to get open and I thought there was a glimmer of hope.

I thought that Pizza crowd get permission to open a unit there anyway?

Legal issues is what held up the opening of Centra but was finally sorted and will be open from 11oclock Tuesday morning -will make a nice change from the tesco thereacross the road which looks like its going to fall down any day now:pac: Its actually very nice in there- Chill out area with 2 plasma screens and broadband access aswell, should do well! Pennys is going in the unit beside Centra and is due to open in the next 4-6 weeks and Pizza Hut has apparently got planning permission on the other side (facing the carpark behind Grimes) and from what i hear work should be starting in the next few weeks there.!!!!;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Legal issues? I thought it was something else entirely..

As for Pizza Hut - they got permission ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Legal issues? I thought it was something else entirely..

As for Pizza Hut - they got permission ages ago.
    bout time pizza hut came to waterford used have to wait til i went to limerick on weekends to get me fix lol

Advertisement