Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous ban on Soccer forum

Options
  • 28-02-2009 7:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Ive just received a PM from one of the newest mods of the forum who IMO is on a serious power trip lately. He says ive racked up 6 "Yellow Cards".

My inbox has 3 PM's for warnings over my actions, i may have deleted the other 3 but i dont recall doing so. 2 of the 3 i have are ridiculous IMO.

I posted "Given you príck" during a match, obviously not anywhere close to abuse of a player.
    Earlier today a poster said something about his friend throwing a Liverpool shirt in the bin. I called that persons friend "An idiot" and got a warning for personal abuse, a joke of a decision IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I am the moderator in question.

The OP has received 6 infractions since 21 Jan. The forum uses a system of banning based on accumulated infractions, and has done since July of last year. The relevant section of the forum charter is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56561140&postcount=4

If the OP wants me to, I can link to each of the posts for which he received an infraction (though he'll need to logout to read the posts in question). alternatively I can quote each post?

I'm away all day tomorrow, so if an SMod or higher wants any further input from me after this evening I'll be back online late Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id like to see the 6 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

OK, in chronological order:

20 Jan 2009
    Melion wrote: »
    Is there anything worse than retarded Liverpool fans?

22 Jan 2009
    We're not getting closer to the title?

There's the door, get the fúck out.

22 Jan 2009
    Yep, thats the reason. Is that why United are now top? If Arsenal and Chelsea were playing well, would they be the top 2?

No, so you can join the other clueless poster out the door.

22 Feb 2009
    GIVEN YOU PRICK

5th infraction issued for deleted post, posted yesterday
    Melion wrote:
    Boggles, seriously. Why the fúck do you come in here? It's getting old now, nobody cares about your opinion.

Today

Post edited by me, original is:
    Your friend is an idiot who doesnt deserve to wear that shirt. I cant stand fans like that who expect us to win every game every season just because of who we are, or more importantly who we were about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I took a look. Here are the six:
    Melion wrote:
    Your friend is an idiot who doesnt deserve to wear that shirt. I cant stand fans like that who expect us to win every game every season just because of who we are, or more importantly who we were about 20 years ago.
    Melion wrote:
    Boggles, seriously. Why the fúck do you come in here? It's getting old now, nobody cares about your opinion.
    Melion wrote:
    GIVEN YOU PRICK
    Melion wrote:
    Yep, thats the reason. Is that why United are now top? If Arsenal and Chelsea were playing well, would they be the top 2?

No, so you can join the other clueless poster out the door.
    Melion wrote:
    We're not getting closer to the title?

There's the door, get the fúck out.
    Melion wrote:
    Is there anything worse than retarded Liverpool fans?

I also took the time to go a bit further back outside the soccer forum and wasn't all that impressed with you referring to one user as a slut, another user as a cock (expecting a ban on that occasion judging by your post) and a radio DJ as a crack addict. Not that it's necessarily relevant to the complaint you've made but it gives me a better world-view.

Is there some reason why you feel the need to be so damned ornery and ill-tempered? Especially on a forum that's only moderated stringently because of behaviour like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

sceptre wrote: »
    I took a look. Here are the six:

I also took the time to go a bit further back outside the soccer forum and wasn't all that impressed with you referring to one user as a slut, another user as a cock (expecting a ban on that occasion judging by your post) and a radio DJ as a crack addict. Not that it's necessarily relevant to the complaint you've made but it gives me a better world-view.

Is there some reason why you feel the need to be so damned ornery and ill-tempered? Especially on a forum that's only moderated stringently because of behaviour like that?

IIRC, a lot of people agreed with me regarding the "slut" post, dont recall the "cock" one and the radio DJ one was the truth believe it or not.

There are a lot worse posts on the Soccer forum that go un-punished, there are a lot of people on that board who post on it just to get a reaction, that is well known on the board but again, nothing happens with them. And no, this isnt a sob story and looking for sympathy, its a fact.

Out of the 6 posts i genuinely think none of them are worthy of a warning let alone a ban. I dont think anyone took offence to any of them, and if they did then maybe that particular forum and the banter that goes with it isnt for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm not looking on it as a sob story. I'm looking on it as an "other people do worse and they never get punished so why am I getting punished" story as that's what it is.

If you've a problem with a post made by another user you report it. That's the procedure on the entire site for various reasons that have been well-explained on virtually every board. I'm only interested in whether the posts above justify a series of infractions and then a ban from the board.

Dealing with the latter first, the rules are in place on the soccer board that six infractions earn a ban. They're not secret, they're there for all to see. Even though I almost never venture onto the soccer board, I'm aware of them (and that's through my ordinary posting and reading on the site).

Dealing with the infractions, if you "genuinely think none of them are worthy of a warning" then you've really got to re-read the rules before you go posting on any forum. The abuse isn't even shrouded in anything that would defend it. And it's not as though you even consider anything wrong with it.

No, on this one, you've consciously and deliberately disobeyed the rules on multiple occasions, abused other posters on multiple occasions and if the soccer rules weren't generous enough to allow you six mistakes before a default ban you wouldn't have lasted that long on the forum. Open and shut case, your own words put you in this situation. There are times where reasonable leniency or hand-holding is an option: this isn't one of them.

I don't need anything further from the soccer mods in the above decision.

Advertisement