Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local St Patricks Day Parades

Options
  • 28-02-2009 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

For those of us not venturing into the city this St Patricks Day but instead supporting our local town/village, if you know whats happening in your area post it here so everyone can find out where the place to be is this St Paddy's Day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Apparently they are taking out the Lorries and the Cars from the Tuam parade for a "greener"(ya geddit?!) Paddy's Day...
    Seems a bit mad to me, that and Earwig are what make the Tuam parade longer than twenty minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

There's been one in Oranmore for the past few years. Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Loughrea always has a parade but no idea of what time it will start etc. Seem to remember it being pretty good the last time I saw it (not exactly Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade good, but pretty tolerable). Dunno if there's anything else on but I'm sure the auld Connacht will have all the details a week or so beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jaffo

Headford is having market stalls as well as the usual parade apparently. Details: http://www.headfordonline.com/2009/03/headfords-st-patricks-day-parade-2009/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Penny1624

Gort will have the usual parade of tractors and vintage cars up the street on Sunday.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lezahann

dodgyleg wrote: »
    For those of us not venturing into the city this St Patricks Day but instead supporting our local town/village, if you know whats happening in your area post it here so everyone can find out where the place to be is this St Paddy's Day!
    Abbeyknockmoy will be holding their annual St Patricks Day parade at 12.30pm, organised by the local Macra members. Please view our facebook profile
    "abbeyknockmoy st paddy's day parade 2010"

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The Abbey parade is usually great, full of imaginative floats instead of dreary lorries and trucks from waste bin companies. Think some of the floats join the nearby Barnaderg parade which takes place afterwards. The Tuam parade, which is tremendously awful, begins at 2 p.m. It's an excuse to watch Portumna in Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TuamGalway

I'm surprised at both of you dec25532 and mars bar - ye claim to be great supporters of Tuam in other threads and yet you talk down the parade which is actually excellent....over 50 entrants last year from various community, voluntary and business groups with, according to the guards, over 2000 spectators on the route (and not one incident all day). There is far more than Earwig in it mars bar....

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

TuamGalway wrote: »
    I'm surprised at both of you dec25532 and mars bar - ye claim to be great supporters of Tuam in other threads and yet you talk down the parade which is actually excellent....over 50 entrants last year from various community, voluntary and business groups with, according to the guards, over 2000 spectators on the route (and not one incident all day). There is far more than Earwig in it mars bar....

+1
    Could'nt agree more with you. Great family ocassion on the streets of Tuam.

First of all one doesn't expect an incident an a Paddy's Day parade. Secondly, the Tuam parade is devoid of any imaginative floats. Thirdly, it is full of tedious marching bands. Lastly, it contains a heap of waste lorries, sand lorries, trucks advertising local businesses . . . basically a public advertising campaign. Yes, a large crowd will turn out but that doesn't mean that what they will witness is anything worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I assume the Portumna one is being held off until the weekend on account of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

ethernet wrote: »
    There's been one in Oranmore for the past few years. Might be worth a look.

They are doing events all week in Oranmore

http://www.oranmore.ie/component/content/article/34-frontpage-articles/99-oranmore-celebrates-st-patricks-day-with-seven-day-festival

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

dec25532 wrote: »
    First of all one doesn't expect an incident an a Paddy's Day parade. Secondly, the Tuam parade is devoid of any imaginative floats. Thirdly, it is full of tedious marching bands. Lastly, it contains a heap of waste lorries, sand lorries, trucks advertising local businesses . . . basically a public advertising campaign. Yes, a large crowd will turn out but that doesn't mean that what they will witness is anything worthwhile.

I think you described every parade in Ireland there a Mhac.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭galwaynative

AFAIK Tuam and Mountbellew parades will include a display by the Tuam All Star Gymnastics Club who have just been in the semi finals of the All Ireland Talent Show. Worth catching (unintended pun!). For a flavour of what they do;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ND2Zq_BtF0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0wWZUP5qE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TuamGalway

Dec25532....come on down next Wed - I honestly think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

I believe the theme of this year's parade is:

The Positivity Parade - Better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Might be a lesson for us all there?

Think that the Portumna match on TV is more of an attraction to be honest. And what a time to kick off the Tuam parade? 2 p.m. is lunacy. It should be happening an hour earlier to accommodate those who want to watch the club finals in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Maybe the fact that we have a bit of a gammy parade makes the town a bit loveable?! You gotta love the town warts and all, the parade, IMO, is one of the warts.

Anywho, I wasn't at the parade last year as I was in Limerick and I won't be at it this year so it could have changed. Brilliant if it has been improved a little! I have seen a few bits and pieces that will be in this years parade and it doesn't look half bad. I hope it goes down well, I really do!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oranmoregal

Oranmore parade starts at 3.30 p.m.

Advertisement