Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom WiFi Signal

Options
  • 28-02-2009 9:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I am using an Eircom WiFi account in D2 at the moment.

Hoping someone here can explain what is going on with it.

It seems to have full signal strength & then will suddenly drop off & then go to mid strength. Soon it's back to full strength again.

Now if it was weak & then dropped out & came back I would think that's par for the course, but wonder what is causing this? I am have not had this problem in other areas but it seems to occur in this location.

Is there something else I can do or is this normal Eircom Quality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just a guess, but are you in an apartment/flat?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes ..... in a flat here. How does that effect signal strength?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

CabanSail wrote: »
    Yes ..... in a flat here. How does that effect signal strength?

Other Eircom users are on the same default channel frequency, usually 7. Try 1 or 12 instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

How/where do I change that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How/where do I change that?

The router interface is on 192.168.1.254 by default.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just to clarify things you are an Eircom dsl customer who is using a wireless router to spread you bb around your apartment. The quality of the wireless signal has nothing at all to do with Eircom or whichever isp is involved.

Because of the popularity of wireless now many people find themselves on the same wireless channel. Netstumbler will help you see any neighbours on the same wireless channel http://www.netstumbler.com/

You can change the wireless channel by accessing the wireless settings in your router. http://192.168.1.254.

No

I am away from home & logging into a WiFi Hotspot which is nearby.

Would have assumed that this would have a constant signal strength.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

No

I am away from home & logging into a WiFi Hotspot which is nearby.

Would have assumed that this would have a constant signal strength.

There are lots of things that can interfere with wireless signals and there could be any of these in the area. For example distance is a factor as could be the presence of other wireless networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Could be double decker buses stopping between you and the hotspot. (Many of the hotspots are in public phone kiosks).

You may laugh but Ive been there! It got much better when the traffic died down in the evening... ;)

I was online at 3am with no traffic around & it was the same.

It's just annoying. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement