Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orals

Options
  • 28-02-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Is anyone ready for the Real thing????:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Irish will be ok, French I can just about manage, toally screwed for German :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

No. Both Irish and French will be disasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

when are they??

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Start date is the 23rd of March:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Irish, táim togha.

I've been putting a fair bit of work into French lately, and I have a natural enough grasp, but I'm nowhere near A-standard. I hope it's not too little too late.

Music practical should be ok, just need to practice the technology more than anything.

Worry, stress, gah... are they earlier than usual this year?

They seem awfully early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

No they're going to be awful, I'm such a shy, nervous speaker, I just freeze!! Really in trouble for this.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Not actually nervous about them but I'll say that will change on the day. French will be grand have been practicing loads the past few weeks, have my mock Oral Monday week and the teacher doing it is actually one of the Oral Examiners that goes to schools for the real thing so will know where I stand after her, **** need to finish my Document.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm just trying to become word-perfect with my projekt and rollenspiele for German, at least I know that way I'll have at least a C. I'm hoping they ask me only the most basic Algemeinige Fragen and they accept one or two sentences as an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i know the material for french... i just dont understand half the questions, so that might prove to be a problem.
    Irish isnt seeming too bad but i always get really shy and jittery and forget my stuff when i talk it to examiners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Dubs wrote: »
    i know the material for french... i just dont understand half the questions, so that might prove to be a problem.
    Irish isnt seeming too bad but i always get really shy and jittery and forget my stuff when i talk it to examiners

I'm afraid I wont get the meaning of the q. When it's written I'm grand but not really sure when it's spoken... ****ed for Irish but I wont be counting that subject anyway so **** it...

Any one doin the oral preparation course in the institute?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

No they're going to be awful, I'm such a shy, nervous speaker, I just freeze!! Really in trouble for this.... :(

According to an old post elsewhere, Bach Remedy Rescue is good for calming nerves before stressful meetings, exams, etc. They're available to buy in health shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Oh god. The Orals. I went into the mock Irish pretty confident, came out with a C. Not looking forward to the real thing.

As for French, if I get my name out without chocking (sp?), I'll be lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jen-pixie

I thought I was the only one panicking, but apparently I'm not alone! If the schedule follows the pattern of the last few years, I'll have pass Irish all by itself in week one and then honours German, French and Japanese in week two. So far, so terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Yesterday i tryed to say thank you to my irish teacher but said please without realising it.

3 weeks ago i couldnt say my name is, ive learned that though!

I love honours irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Irish I'm more screwed for even tho it's pass. Have to think about how to say my name like. Disaster.

French not so bad, should be able to bluff tru.

I was freaking out about them, but then I realised they are just ten minute conversations, It'll be over before you know it.

My french teachers is running oral prep classes twice a week one before school and one at lunch.

And I have a mock Irish Oral on a sat, one of the Irish teachers organised a examiner to come in. Paid €15 for it. Should give me some idea and settle some nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I am so screwed it's unreal. My Irish teacher has never mentioned the words "Scrúdú béil" (Or however you spell it) so we've never practiced and have no idea what kind of stuff we should be looking at,and in French I just get so nervous I end up muttering my name and going "Uhh..." a lot and giving a lot of one word answers. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

For german I found in my pre oral that I could answer the general conversation questions ok for the most part. But what would happen is that i would just rattle of the few scentences of learned slightly incoherently and then just stop in mid air once I ran out of things to say, I was just left looking at the guy with nothing to say. It would be kind of nice to have someway of wrapping things up, to lead the conversation to the next question a bit more naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

I love french(not really). Well I suppose you can always fill in the blanks with a nice 'euhhh' while you digest the question.....
    Irish....oh dear.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm not worried at all for Irish, I love speaking it. All those years in the Gaeltacht seem to have payed off! I just need to prepare a few more answers on Politics, etc.

French will be horrrible :( I actually hate it so much! I came out of my French oral last year close to tears, thought it went so badly. The examiner asked me the nastiest questions (I'm sure I've mentioned the fact that I was asked about Bertie Ahern's make-up wearing ways in a previous thread). In the end though, I got an A in French, and I really don't think my written was that great or anything! So I'm hoping they'll mark me easily enough...

Mr.S wrote: »
    our teacher is retarded, she basically is telling us to learn off anwsers by heart (which your not meant to do) :rolleyes:

She also never told us about the document thing for the orals, untill last week when someone asked about it, to which she replied: "oh i dont like doing it"

RE: Learning Answers off.
    Actually, I don't think your teacher's too far off. I'm learning all my answers off and practicing saying them aloud. Like, I'd struggle to say an awful lot about the likes of the recession if i didn't have it all memorised.
    I don't have a flair for French at all to be honest, and if I didn't learn the answers off I'm pretty sure I'd be quite fúcked. Of course, you have to perfect the "saying-reams-of-learned-off-stuff-without-it-looking-as-though-you've-just-learned-it-off" technique.

As for the document, I went in without one last year.
    I'm preparing one for this year, sort of regretting it. It's an awful lot of effort, I might just abandon mine tbh..
    Monzo wrote: »
    According to an old post elsewhere, Bach Remedy Rescue is good for calming nerves before stressful meetings, exams, etc. They're available to buy in health shops.

+1
    I've totally pimped this out before. It's actually brilliant! Granted you'll go into your oral smelling like whiskey... but you'll be cool, calm & collected!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I want to cry thinking about how **** I am. I can't speak irish or french!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

snowflakes wrote: »
    I love french(not really). Well I suppose you can always fill in the blanks with a nice 'euhhh' while you digest the question.....
    Irish....oh dear.:confused:

Eh, bien is what our teacher tells us to say.

As for learning stuff off, that's what you're meant to do, unless you're a fluent or native speaker. If you learn it off, and know what the stuff means, then you should be ok, the only problem then is making sure you answer the right question.
    It's no good to learn off a big chunk of something to one question, barely know what it means, because if the examiner asks you about something in the middle of it that you said, you'll be in bother.

What I'm saying though is if you don't do it at all, you'll get even less than that, unless you're a fluent or native speaker.

jen-pixie wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one panicking, but apparently I'm not alone! If the schedule follows the pattern of the last few years, I'll have pass Irish all by itself in week one and then honours German, French and Japanese in week two. So far, so terrifying.

FOUR languages??:eek: Jeez thats rough... What you think of japanese?? Is it hard as I'm hopin to do it in colledge next year

phasers wrote: »
    I am so screwed it's unreal. My Irish teacher has never mentioned the words "Scrúdú béil" (Or however you spell it) so we've never practiced and have no idea what kind of stuff we should be looking at,and in French I just get so nervous I end up muttering my name and going "Uhh..." a lot and giving a lot of one word answers. :(

You should record yourself sayin the stuff... I know it sounds dum but it really helps as you get used to the sound of ur own voice beleive me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

bythewoods wrote: »
    I'm not worried at all for Irish, I love speaking it. All those years in the Gaeltacht seem to have payed off! I just need to prepare a few more answers on Politics, etc.

French will be horrrible :( I actually hate it so much! I came out of my French oral last year close to tears, thought it went so badly. The examiner asked me the nastiest questions (I'm sure I've mentioned the fact that I was asked about Bertie Ahern's make-up wearing ways in a previous thread). In the end though, I got an A in French, and I really don't think my written was that great or anything! So I'm hoping they'll mark me easily enough...

RE: Learning Answers off.
    Actually, I don't think your teacher's too far off. I'm learning all my answers off and practicing saying them aloud. Like, I'd struggle to say an awful lot about the likes of the recession if i didn't have it all memorised.
    I don't have a flair for French at all to be honest, and if I didn't learn the answers off I'm pretty sure I'd be quite fúcked. Of course, you have to perfect the "saying-reams-of-learned-off-stuff-without-it-looking-as-though-you've-just-learned-it-off" technique.

As for the document, I went in without one last year.
    I'm preparing one for this year, sort of regretting it. It's an awful lot of effort, I might just abandon mine tbh..

+1
    I've totally pimped this out before. It's actually brilliant! Granted you'll go into your oral smelling like whiskey... but you'll be cool, calm & collected!

Oh yeah, I saw your post about that on the other orals thread and a got a bottle. Worked great throughout the mocks. Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Mr.S wrote: »
    Learning off answers and just saying them back to the examiner from heart wont get you an A though, as the conversation wouldn't be "flowing" if you get me.

Of course its fine if you just want a B or a C for the Oral:)

As has been said, it's better than the alternative of sitting there saying "Eh, bien" or "Ummm, 'sea", or what have you.
    You should be able to learn off answers which you understand completely and can manipulate to suit the questions in your oral.
    And as i mentioned, I got an A grade in my Irish Oral, and an overall A in French last year using learned off answers.

You can sort of compare the orals to conversations, but they're not really anything like them. How many times have you been asked about your hobbies, future goals, drugs and the recession in the space of 12-15 uncomfortable minutes before?

Learn stuff off. Make it sad, be a loser.
    "Oh, I wouldn't dream of going out at the weekends, I have way too much study. Alcohol is very bad for you and causes many other problems such as..."
    Oh yeah, I saw your post about that on the other orals thread and a got a bottle. Worked great throughout the mocks. Thank you so much!

What can I say, I plant seeds... I, oh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I want to share the fruits of this weekend's French endeavours with all:

Le baiser profond - French kiss

Gamin des rues - Street urchin

Engloutir - To swallow

Internautes - Internet users

Huzzah for relevance! :pac:

My 5th year French teacher told us a lot of dirty French stuff. I must root out the old vocabulary copy and have a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

German will be fine. Great infact. Our German teacher is totally amazing! And she's just out of college so she's full of energy, NEVER stops talking!

Irish will be hard. We were meant to have a great teacher. Legendary, but he took a year off to write books, and we god an idiot woman. All we did were fill in the blanks and the ordinary poems. Then when he came back in 5th year he got a brain hemerage about 2 months in... damn! But somehow he just got over that and he's back to save the day, so hopefully it'll be ok! Irish will be my worst result anyway, so I'm not looking for points in it. Lol, that coming from a higher A in JC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ak51535

ha irish will be doable....german on the other hand-terrible, theres too much stuff to learn and im doin the project to save learnin the 5 pic stories!

Advertisement