Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get listed on google?

Options
  • 28-02-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    just want to know how to get listed on google and yahoo ect.
    I hear about meta tags but how do you do them and what are they ect.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

meta tags less important.
    submit a sitemap (xml) through the webmaster tools for google.
    same sitemap (txt) to yahoo
    submit your website to some directories and try getting some good links from some other websites...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

louie wrote: »
    meta tags less important.
    submit a sitemap (xml) through the webmaster tools for google.
    same sitemap (txt) to yahoo
    submit your website to some directories and try getting some good links from some other websites...

For google done. Yahoo can't find link to upload.
    Any links?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

Hi I just listed a site with the various links given here (thank you for the links by the way) How long does it normally take till it shows up on agoogle search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I would suggest using Google Webmaster Tools http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

You can submit your sitemap there and view when Google crawls your site, along with any errors/issues the Googlebot finds.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

Cheers wizZard I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Also submit your site to Googles Index here: http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

Also, add your site to this website. Google apparently crawls this site quite often looking for links. http://www.dmoz.org/
    It worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

WHU wrote: »
    Hi I just listed a site with the various links given here (thank you for the links by the way) How long does it normally take till it shows up on agoogle search

If done properly it takes 24-48hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JoeRow

How quickly you get listed on google depends on how large your niche or site category is. Odds are if it's a large niche you wont hit the first page on google for years. But to get listed keep updating your site with original content (if its a content based website) Try and get links in other places. Google will recognize the amount of links you have on other websites and rank you accordingly. Content is king. Google's objectives as a search engine is to deliver the correct and most related results .

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Also do a google search on "semantic markup"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Apply for google ads. If you get approved for the ads you will, and not by coincidence I'd imagine, find yourself fairly high up in a google search straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Apply for google ads. If you get approved for the ads you will, and not by coincidence I'd imagine, find yourself fairly high up in a google search straight away.

That completely depends on what type of site the OP is planning.....the ads might be appropriate for a personal, social or hobby site, but they're unprofessional and out-of-place for a professional site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That completely depends on what type of site the OP is planning.....the ads might be appropriate for a personal, social or hobby site, but they're unprofessional and out-of-place for a professional site.

I should have said you don't have to actually display the ads on your site.

It's just the process of applying and then being approved, which gets you in "the back door".

Advertisement