Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Portrait C&C

• 28-02-2009 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Just got my hands on a set of cheapo lights from ebay today so these are my first two shots on it!! It's a lot different from my usual landscape stuff so I'd love some C&C on the lighting and PP'ing please. Did I go a bit mental on the eyes in the second one? I forgot to use a hairlight in the second one as well!!
    Cheers

FE11C4AB0F924F21974967A9127AB5BA-500.jpg

E39FEBAB64C64EEAAE7E7C1E27FE2D58-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Wow. I like both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The lighting seems good and even. I think they'd benefit from more contrast though. I reckon with a bit more punch to them they'd really stand out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am sorry but I see then grey - hugely underexposed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The more I look at them the more grey and bland they look :(

Snap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I'm not sure if it's the lighting or the processing but they seem much too dark to me. And yes, the eye lightening is a bit OTT. The posing is excellent and the model is lovely.

OK. Had another go at PP'ing them. These any better?

C7604E408BD3496BA270AC5CC6FCC593-500.jpg

D774770B1DE041969DC8C4C497B760BB-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

grey to me too.

i've added contrast and played with the levels - it would need more work and refinement but that's the direction that i'd be heading (just personal opinion though)

73789.jpg

EDIT: Above on the first post.

When I tried darkening the hair it got all pixellated and false looking so I left it as is. I prefer the contrasty look though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The second attempt looks much better, however the white of her eyes is whiter than her T-shirt - it is just screaming "I have digitaly manipulated eyes".
    I like both portraits as pictures, just the processing needs a little to make it stand out.
    Histogram is quite off as too.
    Start with the adjustment layer - Levels of the original colour picture and slide the sliders from beginning histogram to the end. That should make considerable difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Away from the good colour/contrast advice you're getting I'd have a rethink on your cropping. It's one thing to capture a look but that has to work in the the frame to allow an expression or intent to come to fruition. An extra bit of space here and there can work wonders and instead of taking the viewers eye off the subject it can lend itself to exentuating the subject in another dimension.
    Nice subject though. She has nice subtle features and a grace that should be possible to capture.ion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hi Ballyman,

Nice first effort and well done for taking the task. However I think aside from the lack of contrast in the initial shots the model lacks emotion. I think that aside from just the task of taking the shots, a bit of interaction with the model might have brought about a more relaxed feeling which would have displayed a relaxed air in her portrait.

I know portrait shooting is not easy, and when your trying to get lighting right along with trying get all the technicalities right as well, it can be hard to be relaxed. This I'm told comes with experience.

Anyway here's my take on a bit of PP

3317582912_be36386bfa_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I like each one where the model is looking down. She seems quite content and yes Graceful? while in #2 it looks like she might not be interested.
    Judging by your wonderful landscapes I look forward to some nice eye catching images over the next while.

Agree with Humberclog "Grace"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

What lights did ye get off eBay????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

As mentioned above, the originals are dull and look underexposed. What settings did you use on both camera & for the flash?? The PP's defo look better but again the conversion you used is too flat if that makes sense (as Buzz says, it needed a tad more contrast).

With the eyes on the 2nd shot, if you did that using a layer mask then reduce the opacity to make it a bit more realistic/natural.

However, well done for having a go and posting on here - more balls than a lot of other people for doing that!!!

unreggd wrote: »
    What lights did ye get off eBay????

This is what I got off ebay. It works perfectly fine and has plenty of power for family portraits but it looks and feels cheap but sure it'll do the job grand for me.

Thanks for all the advice. I think what Buzz posted is kinda what I am looking for really. Lots of contrast and blacks.

I don't use photoshop at all as I have no idea how to use it so I have a feeling I'll have to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ballyman wrote: »
    This is what I got off ebay. It works perfectly fine and has plenty of power for family portraits but it looks and feels cheap but sure it'll do the job grand for me.

Thanks for all the advice. I think what Buzz posted is kinda what I am looking for really. Lots of contrast and blacks.

I don't use photoshop at all as I have no idea how to use it so I have a feeling I'll have to learn.

Doesn't look like bad value!
    But the postage :eek:

Did it take long to arrive?

Arrived in 5 days.

Advertisement