Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Business Post/Red C poll figures

Options
  • 28-02-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

More bad news for Fianna Fáil.

Details: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0228/poll.html

Numbers:

FF 23% (-5)
    FG 30% (-3)
    Lab 22% (+8)
    Green 8% (-2)
    SF 11% (+2)
    Ind. 8% (unch)

So we've had three polls that have all had Labour high. I think we can concretely conclude that Labour rather than FG have captured the public dislike of FF and channelled it into support.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I think this particular pole is v. old as I was randomly contacted by RedC about four weeks ago to take part, and I haven't seen and subsequent pole by them in the media since.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think this particular pole is v. old as I was randomly contacted by RedC about four weeks ago to take part, and I haven't seen and subsequent pole by them in the media since.

Last RedC poll was four weeks ago, maybe they were contacting you about that one?

*shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Maybe it's because you are too thick to spell properly, never mind answer serious questions

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Maybe it's because you are too thick to spell properly, never mind answer serious questions

Banned for a week for abuse.

Ban removed after chat with user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Labour are inching ever closer to the poll position. If FG sacked Enda they'd be making a step in the right direction. At the moment Gilmore is the leader with the most credibility. I have to say Richard Bruton is promising too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

TBH I would be worried about the policies of any party that is doing well in current polls!
    FF core support is amazing. Doesn't matter how many times or how badly they screw the country, they still stick by them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Alessandra wrote: »
    Labour are inching ever closer to the poll position. If FG sacked Enda they'd be making a step in the right direction. At the moment Gilmore is the leader with the most credibility. I have to say Richard Bruton is promising too.

I'd be worried about any party with strong ties to the unions getting into power now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

eoinbn wrote: »
    ........ Doesn't matter how many times or how badly they screw the country, they still stick by them!
    That's the sad part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I'd be worried about any party with strong ties to the unions getting into power now....

Valid point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Make Richard Bruton leader of FG and even i who extremely dislikes FG will end up voting for them.
    Why?, the man talks sense!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

gurramok wrote: »
    Make Richard Bruton leader of FG and even i who extremely dislikes FG will end up voting for them.

Do you think Bruton may be biding his time before making a go for the leadership of the party? Everyone knows he'd make a better Taoiseach than Kenny.. including Bruton himself I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Trotter wrote: »
    Do you think Bruton may be biding his time before making a go for the leadership of the party? Everyone knows he'd make a better Taoiseach than Kenny.. including Bruton himself I suspect.

Bruton may be a better Taoiseach but who would be his minister for finance? Would Kenny take that role. I don't know of anyone else who is more qualified to take on our public finances. Bruton has a masters in Economics, you just can't beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Darragh29 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. I can't understand why Labour has become so popular, especially when there is such division in the country in regards public spending. Do people seriously think that Labour will tackle the likes of the public service and the heavily unionised ESB???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Numbers:

FF 23% (-5)
    FG 30% (-3)
    Lab 22% (+8)
    Green 8% (-2)
    SF 11% (+2)
    Ind. 8% (unch)

We have 10% satisfaction with the Government, we are living through the worst financial crises for more than a century with huges job losses,the Government has just cut Public service pay and 120,000 people have been marching in the streets. I would have to say if I was in Fianna Fail I would be thrilled with the Poll results!!!!!

Labour support is transient and is now artificially inflated by Public Servants who are temporarily pissed off with the Government. Fine Gael are losing support:confused:. Instead of Fianna Fail fighting for survival - it looks to me like Fine Gael are.

I have to say I am beginning to feel like I did before the last election - Fianna Fail might be bad but there is no alternative. That is a depressing feeling:mad::mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dave-higgz wrote: »
    Bruton may be a better Taoiseach but who would be his minister for finance? Would Kenny take that role. I don't know of anyone else who is more qualified to take on our public finances. Bruton has a masters in Economics, you just can't beat that.

You gotta look at the bigger picture imo which you have done. A good finance minister is needed and Bruton is the man to-do it. Kenny is a grand leader, no doubt about it really, but if you remove him and place Bruton instead your royally screwed.

I cant understand the mentality behind if the leader doesn't have the most striking personality then the party must be dismissed. FG do offer a lot and I think they are better quality party then Labour. Saying that, id prefer to see both partys together again in these times rather then any party on there own.

With regards to the poll - FG are not doing enough in comparison to Labour. Labour are the most vocal party at the moment. I don't understand why people consider SF a choice - they have offered or said feck all. FG still top the poll but its slowly dropping and the party needs to act fast before they sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

gurramok wrote: »

Best option. Looks like he would make a credible leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I am amazed at those results, nearly 1 in 4 still would vote FF. I can't imagine who could be benefitting in the current circumstances or what policies FF have introduced that would attract the support of such a large group.
    I would love to see a government of independents personally. Labour and a handful on independents will do though..if they can manage to entice Bruton into their party, as I dont fancy Joan Burton as Minister for Finance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

EF wrote: »
    I am amazed at those results, nearly 1 in 4 still would vote FF. I can't imagine who could be benefitting in the current circumstances or what policies FF have introduced that would attract the support of such a large group.

Well you'll always have the core civil war votes, elderly people have lifelong alliances and considering they survived the 80's etc. There are people who are optimistic that FF will save the day. I however am not one of those people.

Also there will be people who are great beneficiaries of the celtic tiger and therefore attribute their wealth to FF, also because their not being hit hard by any taxes they have no reason to hate FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

galwayrush wrote: »
    Best option. Looks like he would make a credible leader.

Bruton strikes me as a modern day Garrett FitzGerald, both are extremely capable economists.

Personally I detest Fine Gael and think they are worse than FF.

Advertisement