Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool squad/keeper/spending comparison thread [read post #161]

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

jasonorr wrote: »
    but I wouldn't say there's much between either team at all since Benitez arrived.

i'd agree there hasnt been much between them (well, a CL trophy is quite a lot when you think about it), however, i am not slating Arsenal, just querying why Wenger is viewed as a god and rafa is ridiculed.

there has been a difference in spending, but the difference in that is accounted for in the difference in wages at the two clubs.

it makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i'd agree there hasnt been much between them (well, a CL trophy is quite a lot when you think about it), however, i am not slating Arsenal, just querying why Wenger is viewed as a god and rafa is ridiculed.

there has been a difference in spending, but the difference in that is accounted for in the difference in wages at the two clubs.

it makes no sense.

Is it? Do Arsenal spend (on average) 14million a year more on wages? Genuinely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

it makes no sense.

The reason why Benitez is slated and Wenger isn't is exactly that! He's been living off that 1 champions league for the last 4.5 years!

Wenger had already made his name, 2 doubles, including a handful of FA Cups, a champions league final that really should have been won, orchestrating a move to a new stadium, the unbeaten season, playing some of the most attractive football in the world and developing some of the best players in the world, becoming our longest serving and most successful manager.

All this was done on a minimal budget and even when we haven't been at our best or he's still been able to guarantee us champions league football.

So please, don't compare Benitez to Wenger. It just doesn't hold up.

As for wages, I'm sure a large chunk of that can be put down to Arsenal being based in London. As far as I'm aware the gap between the highest and lowing earning players in the squad isn't as high as at most clubs, which can only be commended.

EDIT: From that link you posted, Arsenal spend 45% of their turnover (the lowest in the whole league) on wages and Liverpool spend 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Knew the liverpool fans would love Marcoti.

people banging on about a 240million spend. Ronnie Whelan and who exactly?

Articles like this, the benitez interview, the lack of fuss made over the lack of class liverpool have shown with them endorsement of the 15 minutes that shook the world mockumentary - If United had done something like that portraying Benitez and Gerrard in similar fashion there would be uproar. As it is, "its just a bit of fun".

Opposition fans object to the Liverpool line that Benitez has been working on a shoe string over the last 5 years, when it simply is not the case. He hasn't been given the vast sums Chelsea or City have, but it is on a level with other clubs, including United. Over the last 4 years you could argue United had a similar net spend to Liverpool (resulting in 3 league titles and a CL win, amongst others), or that they have had a 1million average net spend (if you include the Ronaldo sale)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6920853.ece

Shockingly, it doesn't critiscise in any way.

Though I really should ammend what I said earlier. It is not a media love in, it is a Times love in, not much more than a daily liverpool fanzine.
    kida wrote: »
    thats is a f&^*^ign disgrace, could you imagine if that was the other way around?

don't pick on the term, you know what i meant.

plus you used it first Mitch ^^.

using the term 'uproar' is perfctly apt; in doing so i'm not comparing it to real problems like the medical card fiasco. were you? of course you weren't.

opposition fans came in here quick as a flash to shoot down the claims; even though he's pretty much spot on. Marcotti never said Rafa should be abstained from all blame, just that the facts of the matter should be set straight.

as Marcotti pretty much said, beat Rafa with sticks that are justified and don't wield out £240m spend 'willy nilly' because there's a lot more to it than that.

as i said, some people can't wait to keep kicking him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally Posted by Gabriel Marcotti
    One of the key building blocks of any good PR/spin campaign is to repeat certain talking points endlessly. Never mind what the question is, just repeat your talking point. We've seen politicians do it for years. The neat thing is that, if you repeat something enough times it sort of becomes true, or, at least, actionable (remember the war over evidence of - as one former Prime Minister put it - "Weapons of mass destruction related program activities"?).

These talking points are useful when discussing Rafa Benitez. Take your pick from the following: Lucas Leiva, the mishandling of Robbie Keane, the sale of Xabi Alonso and, my personal favourite, "spending £240 million" and being "no closer" to winning the Premier League.

I like the last one best because it's the most idiotic. The latter part of the statement is easy to dispatch. Liverpool finished closer to winning the title last year than they have in any season since 1989/90, when they actually won it.

But the former part is truly absurd. Liverpool may have spent £240m since Benitez's arrival (Tony Barrett's figures in The Times yesterday more accurately put the number at £226m, presumably because they don't include Djibril Cisse, who was signed earlier but only arrived when Benitez did). But the key is that this number is a gross spend.

Liverpool also SOLD players in that period. A much fairer reflection of Benitez's spending is to look at the net spend, which is around £80m (or £94m if you include Cisse).

That's a lot isn't it? Yes, until you remember that it's £80m (or £94m) over SIX years. Which is actually between £13.5m and £15.5m a season. A hefty sum, but not an earth-shattering one. Just this past summer, for example, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Manchester City, Sunderland, Stoke and Birmingham City all spent that amount (or a little more, much more in the case of City).

There are plenty of reasons to be critical of Benitez. It's just that some are valid and some, like this £240m fallacy, are, at best, wrong, at worst, dishonest.

good to see there is elements in the media who know what they are talking about.

Does he realy know what he's talking about? It appears to me that he is making the same mistake as some here. That is he is confusing net spent with overall spend.

Net spend only represents new investment,it is not the total expenditure. The total cost of any clubs transfers is Net spend plus Sales. The fact of the matter is that Rafa has indeed spend £240 million on players.

Marcotti is simply twisting the truth . The truth is that Rafa has spent on average around £50 million per year on players.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Does he realy know what he's talking about? It appears to me that he is making teh same mistake as some here. That is he is confusing net spent with overall spend.

please stop saying this.

we all know he's spent £240m (well...£226m if you don't consider Cissé his). of course we do. you're making out like we're idiots.

the point is that he has also sold £160m worth of players to help fund that spend.

if you think that's enough, fair enough. you're entitled to that opinion.

but stop twisting it to sound like there's been £240m worth of completely fresh investment, because that is simply not the case.

SlickRic wrote: »
    please stop saying this.

we all know he's spent £240m (well...£226m if you don't consider Cissé his). of course we do. you're making out like we're idiots.

the point is that he has also sold £160m worth of players to help fund that spend.

if you think that's enough, fair enough. you're entitled to that opinion.

but stop twisting it to sound like there's been £240m worth of completely fresh investment, because that is simply not the case.

I'll not stop telling the truth Slick. I never twisted anything I made it clear that net spend is new investment. Others are twisting things by inferring that net spend equals total spend which we all know here is bull. Total spend is net spend plus sales.

If everyone else stops spouting the rubbish there will be no need for me to correct them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

jasonorr wrote: »
    The reason why Benitez is slated and Wenger isn't is exactly that! He's been living off that 1 champions league for the last 4.5 years!

Wenger had already made his name, 2 doubles, including a handful of FA Cups, a champions league final that really should have been won, orchestrating a move to a new stadium, the unbeaten season, playing some of the most attractive football in the world and developing some of the best players in the world, becoming our longest serving and most successful manager.

so getting to a champions league final and losing and winning fa cups is success for arsenal but not Benitez :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

rossie1977 wrote: »
    so getting to a champions league final and losing and winning fa cups is success for arsenal but not Benitez :confused:

Ah Rossie bai, go watch the match and forget this aul sh*te for a few hours!:pac:

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »

13 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just to update this.

Garcia £6m £4m
    Nunez £0m £1.5m
    Pellegrino £0m £0m
    Josemi £2m Kronkamp
    Kronkamp £0m £2m
    Morientes £6.3m £3m
    Carson £.75m £3.25
    Zenden £0m £0m
    Barragan £0m £680,000
    Gonzalez £4.5m £4.2m
    Sissoko £5.6m £8.2m
    Crouch £7m £11m
    Bellamy £6m £7.5m
    Paletta £2m £1.5m
    Pennant £6.7m £0m
    Keane £19m £16m
    Alonso £10.5m £30m
    Arbeloa £2.6m £3.5m
    Leto £1.85m £3m
    Dossena £7m £3.8
    Voronin £0m £1.8m

Overall Rafa has made a profit of £17.13m on players he has both bought and sold since he joined the club.
    Josemi was swapped for Kronkamp

Also worth looking at those in the current squad and what they cost. Looking at these it would seem to indicate that in the future there is every likelihood of Rafa's continuing to make a profit on the players he purchases and sells at the club.

Diego Cavalieri £3m
    Glen Johnson £17m
    Alberto Aquilani £17m
    Daniel Agger £5.8m
    Steven Gerrard Youth Player
    Fernando Torres £20m
    Albert Riera £8m
    Fábio Aurélio Free
    Yossi Benayoun £5m
    Sotirios Kyrgiakos £2m
    Maximillion Rodriguez Free
    Dirk Kuyt £9m
    Ryan Babel £11.5m
    Javier Mascherano £18.6m
    Lucas £6m
    Emiliano Insúa £1m
    Jamie Carragher Youth Player
    David N'Gog £1.5m
    Pepe Reina £6m
    Jay Spearing Youth Player
    Philipp Degen Free
    Damien Plessis Free
    Nabil El Zhar Free
    Stephen Darby Youth Player
    Martin Kelly Youth Player
    Martin Skrtel £6m
    Daniel Ayala Youth Player
    Péter Gulácsi Undisclosed
    Dani Pacheco £350k
    Nathan Eccleston Youth Player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Just to update this.

Garcia £6m £4m
    Nunez £0m £1.5m
    Pellegrino £0m £0m
    Josemi £2m Kronkamp
    Kronkamp £0m £2m
    Morientes £6.3m £3m
    Carson £.75m £3.25
    Zenden £0m £0m
    Barragan £0m £680,000
    Gonzalez £4.5m £4.2m
    Sissoko £5.6m £8.2m
    Crouch £7m £11m
    Bellamy £6m £7.5m
    Paletta £2m £1.5m
    Pennant £6.7m £0m
    Keane £19m £16m
    Alonso £10.5m £30m
    Arbeloa £2.6m £3.5m
    Leto £1.85m £3m
    Dossena £7m £3.8
    Voronin £0m £1.8m

Overall Rafa has made a profit of £17.13m on players he has both bought and sold since he joined the club.

Also worth looking at those in the current squad and what they cost. Looking at these it would seem to indicate that in the future there is every likelihood of Rafa's continuing to make a profit on the players he purchases and sells at the club.

Diego Cavalieri £3m
    Glen Johnson £17m
    Alberto Aquilani £17m
    Daniel Agger £5.8m
    Fernando Torres £20m
    Albert Riera £8m
    Fábio Aurélio Free
    Yossi Benayoun £5m
    Sotirios Kyrgiakos £2m
    Maximillion Rodriguez Free
    Dirk Kuyt £9m
    Ryan Babel £11.5m
    Javier Mascherano £18.6m
    Lucas £6m
    Emiliano Insúa £1m
    David N'Gog £1.5m
    Pepe Reina £6m
    Philipp Degen Free
    Damien Plessis Free
    Nabil El Zhar Free
    Martin Skrtel £6m
    Daniel Ayala Youth Player
    Péter Gulácsi Undisclosed
    Dani Pacheco £350k
    Nathan Eccleston Youth Player
    why are Carragher and Gerrard included in that list. They were there under Houllier. Do they count as such?

why are Carragher and Gerrard included in that list. They were there under Houllier. Do they count as such?

The second list is the entire squad and what they cost.

Obviously Gerrard and Carra are not included in Rafa purchases.

The second list is the entire squad and what they cost.

Obviously Gerrard and Carra are not included in Rafa purchases.
    oh i see. Yes hard to believe Babel one of our most expensive players there. Dont know why rafa wouldnt be prepare to take a small hit on Babel given how much he made on Alonso. The impression i was under from reading article recently was that Rafa was going to leave it with Babels agent to sort out some sort of deal.

Just the mention of Gerrard and Carra being the only ones left reminded me of the miserable amount we received from the players in GED's squad.

In terms of what was received for GED's squad,Liverpool only ended up earning £57m. This was for 28 players. Basically this was a tiny smidge over £2m on average which has been a major problem for Rafa ( and also has a distorting effect on Rafa's net spend figure as well)

Even allowing for subsequent price inflation in the transfer market since Ged's time this is an untterly abysmal return. Combine this with the miniscule return earned in terms of overall return on the youths/Academy side of things, it's abundantly clear just how great the difficulties Rafa has faced in the transfer market in an effort to build a decent squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry I'm confused, is the point now to buy players, have them for 2-3 years and sell them at an acceptable profit/loss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote: »
    Sorry I'm confused, is the point now to buy players, have them for 2-3 years and sell them at an acceptable profit/loss?

Of course not. This is my feeling on it:

Why he signed those players and sold them on quite quickly is an interesting question.

Over the years we have heard of quite a few players being on the verge of being signed only for it to have fallen through at the last stage for various reasons. These examples are why Liverpool fans have the opinion of Parry that they do and probably why Rafa demanded such control over transfers when renewing his contract last summer.

This is one possibility that I have considered as explaining it. So, he has one player in mind and then that deal falls through. He then signs an inferior player on the cheap as a stop gap solution for the season. He then sells that player on and replaces him with someone that he sees as a long term solution for the position.

I have arrived at that conclusion on the basis that you don't have players like Alves, Silva, Villa, Vidic and so on in mind as long term solutions and then settle on the likes of Voronin, Pennant, Josemi, Degan and so on.

There is no doubt that such signings a gamble but as many of them have worked out as have failed.

If you don't want to accept that then fair enough. You are obviously entitled to your own opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not really. Depends on the player.

Crouch and Bellamy being high profile, I'd say yes.

Some players were not good enough and he sold at a profit. Fair enough.

Others he bought cheap and were reasonably successful.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Just to update this.

Garcia £6m £4m
    Nunez £0m £1.5m
    Pellegrino £0m £0m
    Josemi £2m Kronkamp
    Kronkamp £0m £2m
    Morientes £6.3m £3m
    Carson £.75m £3.25
    Zenden £0m £0m
    Barragan £0m £680,000
    Gonzalez £4.5m £4.2m
    Sissoko £5.6m £8.2m
    Crouch £7m £11m
    Bellamy £6m £7.5m
    Paletta £2m £1.5m
    Pennant £6.7m £0m
    Keane £19m £16m
    Alonso £10.5m £30m
    Arbeloa £2.6m £3.5m
    Leto £1.85m £3m
    Dossena £7m £3.8
    Voronin £0m £1.8m

I'd put Sissoko and Crouch as great bits of business. Alonso brilliant.

Disaster would be Pennant and Keane.

The rest, Meh. Some worked, some didn't.

He also bough Torres, Mascherano which was a massive gamble, Benny and Reina, all good buys.

N'Gog, Agger, Skyrtel and Aurelio, all reasonable buys.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I have arrived at that conclusion on the basis that you don't have players like Alves, Silva, Villa, Vidic and so on in mind as long term solutions and then settle on the likes of Voronin, Pennant, Josemi, Degan and so on.

There is no doubt that such signings a gamble but as many of them have worked out as have failed.

If you don't want to accept that then fair enough. You are obviously entitled to your own opinion.

At least 5 he bought then sold on at a loss. How does that fit into the theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They were bad signings.

i love the way Rafa's always approached in a black and white fashion. he's either sh*t at something or brilliant, even on transfers.

as K-9 alluded to there is a lot of meh; i.e. shades of grey.

like the majority of managers, he's bought great, bought sh*t and bought meh. if you can sell the meh for decent money then you're doing ok.

again, he's similar to a lot of managers in the top flight, including Ferguson.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i love the way Rafa's always approached in a black and white fashion. he's either sh*t at something or brilliant, even on transfers.

as K-9 alluded to there is a lot of meh; i.e. shades of grey.

like the majority of managers, he's bought great, bought sh*t and bought meh. if you can sell the meh for decent money then you're doing ok.

again, he's similar to a lot of managers in the top flight, including Ferguson.

Fergie's had more misses than hits in the transfer market as time has gone on tbh.

He lost on some players. And?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

flahavaj wrote: »
    Fergie's had more misses than hits in the transfer market as time has gone on tbh.

ah maybe because saf has been at man utd alot longer than rafa at pool :confused:

Headshot wrote: »
    ah maybe because saf has been at man utd alot longer than rafa at pool :confused:

Well if you want to list his purchases in Rafas time, go ahead?

Headshot wrote: »

Nothing to do with Rafa or Fergie's longevity, I just think the last few years hes been less sucessful in the transfer market than in his earlier days. There was a time when he rarely made mistakes in his purchases, but theres been a fair few flops since 1999 really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Out of interest, how much was brought in from houlliers players?

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »

Not much. Was posted on the "Is Rafa done?" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

K-9 wrote: »
    Not much. Was posted on the "Is Rafa done?" thread.

Ok, ta, i never spent much time in there.

this will give you a general idea. Very suprised Murphy was sold at a loss.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62672316&postcount=321

Just to update this.

Garcia £6m £4m
    Nunez £0m £1.5m
    Pellegrino £0m £0m
    Josemi £2m Kronkamp
    Kronkamp £0m £2m
    Morientes £6.3m £3m
    Carson £.75m £3.25
    Zenden £0m £0m
    Barragan £0m £680,000
    Gonzalez £4.5m £4.2m
    Sissoko £5.6m £8.2m
    Crouch £7m £11m
    Bellamy £6m £7.5m
    Paletta £2m £1.5m
    Pennant £6.7m £0m
    Keane £19m £16m
    Alonso £10.5m £30m
    Arbeloa £2.6m £3.5m
    Leto £1.85m £3m
    Dossena £7m £3.8
    Voronin £0m £1.8m

So Rafa has bought and sold 21 players making a profit of £17.13 million on those players. Is that really impressive, not really considering he made a profit of £19.5 million on Alonso alone. To put it another way he made a loss of £2.37 million on the other twenty players he bought and sold .

Impressive? I don't understand how anyone could argue that it is, He really has a very poor transfer record.

(Thats assuming all the figure are right which they are not, Keane's price was £12 million with addons not £16 million)

£57m on 28 players :(

Shockingly bad doens't begin to describe it.

An average of £2m a player.

I think I posted a list earlier in this thread. Too lazy/busy to dig it out at the moment.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    So Rafa has bought and sold 21 players making a profit of £17.13 million on those players. Is that really impressive, not really considering he made a profit of £19.5 million on Alonso alone. To put it another way he made a loss of £2.37 million on the other twenty players he bought and sold .

Impressive? I don't understand how anyone could argue that it is, He really has a very poor transfer record.

(Thats assuming all the figure are right which they are not, Keane's price was £12 million with addons not £16 million)

This was in reply to people saying that Rafa has "wasted" money on players he's brought to the club and sold on. These figures clearly show that he has actually turned a profit on these players. The reason his net spend figure is so high has quite a bit to do with

[Also on the Keane figure, it's been done to death but I'd imagine that most people accept the accuracy of the £16m figure. Perhaps any people who don't accept is as accurate {besides TheMuppet} could post. - Sorry The Mupper but I think you're a bit of a lone voice on this, which I'm asking for any other posters input]

This was in reply to people saying that Rafa has "wasted" money on players he's brought to the club and sold on. These figures clearly show that he has actually turned a profit on these players. The reason his net spend figure is so high has quite a bit to do with

[Also on the Keane figure, it's been done to death but I'd imagine that most people accept the accuracy of the £16m figure. Perhaps any people who don't accept is as accurate {besides TheMuppet} could post. - Sorry The Mupper but I think you're a bit of a lone voice on this, which I'm asking for any other posters input]

What the figures show is that he has turned a good profit on Alonso, (lucky he didn't find a buyer a year earlier) . Apart from that one he sold the other 20 players at a net loss.

No problem re the keane valuation. I got mine from the BBC, I'm happy to be a lone voice with them;). Here's the link , perhaps anyone else giving a valuation could give a link to theirs too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7861523.stm

• Advertisement

May as well update this

Players Rafa Inherited and what Liverpool subsequently received for them

1 Owen 8,000,000
    2 Baros 6,500,000
    3 Cisse 6,000,000
    4 Riise 4,000,000
    5 Diouf 4,000,000
    6 Heskey 3,500,000
    7 Kirkland 3,000,000
    8 Sinama-Pongolle 2,700,000
    9 Murphy 2,500,000
    10 Guthrie 2,500,000
    11 Traore 2,000,000
    12 Diarra 1,980,000
    13 Warnock 1,500,000
    14 Le Tallec 1,100,000
    15 Finnan 1,000,000
    16 Mellor 500,000
    17 Hammill 500,000
    18 Potter 250,000
    19 Peltier 209,150
    20 O'Donnell 100,000
    21 Woods 0
    22 Whitbread 0
    23 Welsh 0
    24 Vignal 0
    25 Threlfall 0
    26 Smyth Mark 0
    27 Smith James 0
    28 Smicer 0
    29 Raven 0
    30 Platt 0
    31 Partridge 0
    32 Otsemobor 0
    33 Medjani 0
    34 Mannix 0
    35 Kewell 0
    36 Idrizaj 0
    37 Hyypia 0
    38 Henchoz 0
    39 Hamann 0
    40 Foy 0
    41 Dudek 0
    42 Diao 0
    43 Cheyrou 0
    44 Calliste 0
    45 Butler 0
    46 Biscan 0
    47 Babbel 0
    48 Antwi 0

Total £51,839,150
    Average £1,079,982

Players Rafa Bought and Sold

1 Keane 19,000,000 16,000,000
    2 Alonso 10,500,000 30,000,000
    3 Crouch 7,000,000 11,000,000
    4 Dossena 7,000,000 3,800,000
    5 Pennant 6,700,000 0
    6 Bellamy 6,500,000 7,500,000
    7 Morientes 6,300,000 3,000,000
    8 Luis Garcia 6,000,000 4,000,000
    9 Sissoko 5,000,000 8,200,000
    10 Gonzalez 4,500,000 4,200,000
    11 Arbeloa 2,600,000 3,500,000
    12 Paletta 2,000,000 2,000,000
    13 Josemi 2,000,000 0
    14 Leto 1,850,000 3,000,000
    15 Carson 750,000 3,250,000
    16 San Jose 270,000 2,600,000
    17 Barragan 240,000 680,000
    18 Hobbs 150,000 300,000
    19 Pourie 50,000 150,000
    20 Voronin 0 1,800,000
    21 Kromkamp 0 1,500,000
    22 Mihaylov 0 1,500,000
    23 Nunez 0 1,500,000
    24 Anderson 0 250,000
    25 Buchtmann 0 100,000
    26 Ajdarevic 0 0
    27 Antwi 0 0
    28 Aurelio 0 0
    29 Flora 0 0
    30 Fowler 0 0
    31 Martin 0 0
    32 Olfield 0 0
    33 Pellegrino 0 0
    34 Zenden 0 0

Spent 88,410,000
    Received 109,830,000
    Profit 21,420,000

Current Squad

Fernando Torres £20m
    Javier Mascherano £18.6m
    Glen Johnson £17m
    Alberto Aquilani £17m
    Ryan Babel £11.5m
    Dirk Kuyt £9m
    Albert Riera £8m
    Lucas £6m
    Pepe Reina £6m
    Martin Skrtel £6m
    Yossi Benayoun £5m
    Daniel Agger £5.8m
    Diego Cavalieri £3m
    Sotirios Kyrgiakos £2m
    Jonjo Shelvey £1.7m
    David N'Gog £1.5m
    Emiliano Insúa £1m
    Dani Pacheco £350k
    Maxi Rodriguez Free
    Philipp Degen Free
    Damien Plessis Free
    Nabil El Zhar Free
    Péter Gulácsi Compensation
    Krisztián Németh Compensation
    András Simon Compensation
    Daniel Ayala Compensation
    Dean Bouzanis Compensation
    Nathan Eccleston Compensation

Total £139.45m

Of the players he inherited and sold, what was the profit/loss made there?

L'prof wrote: »
    Of the players he inherited and sold, what was the profit/loss made there?

Pretty much a rough and ready effort but does give a good general idea.

Cost Received Profit/Loss

Owen Youth 8,000,000 8,000,000
    Baros 3,400,000 6,500,000 3,100,000
    Cisse 14,000,000 6,000,000 -8,000,000
    Diouf 10,000,000 4,000,000 -6,000,000
    Riise 4,000,000 4,000,000 0
    Heskey 11,000,000 3,500,000 -7,500,000
    Kirkland 6,000,000 3,000,000 -3,000,000
    Sinama-Pongolle 1,500,000 2,700,000 1,200,000
    Murphy Youth 2,500,000 2,500,000
    Guthrie Youth 2,500,000 2,500,000
    Traore 500,000 2,000,000 1,500,000
    Hamann 8,000,000 0 -8,000,000
    Biscan 5,500,000 0 -5,500,000
    Kewell 5,000,000 0 -5,000,000
    Diao 5,000,000 0 -5,000,000
    Dudek 4,850,000 0 -4,850,000
    Cheyrou 4,500,000 0 -4,500,000
    Smicer 4,200,000 0 -4,200,000
    Henchoz 3,500,000 0 -3,500,000
    Hyypia 2,600,000 0 -2,600,000
    Vignal 500,000 0 -500,000
    Diarra 0 1,980,000 1,980,000
    Warnock Youth 1,500,000 1,500,000
    Le Tallec 1,500,000 1,100,000 -400,000
    Finnan 3,500,000 1,000,000 -2,500,000
    Mellor Youth 500,000 500,000
    Hammill Youth 500,000 500,000
    Potter Youth 250,000 250,000
    Peltier Youth 209,150 209,150
    O'Donnell Youth 100,000 100,000
    Woods Youth 0 0
    WhitbreadYouth 0 0
    Welsh Youth 0 0
    Threlfall Youth 0 0
    SmythM Youth 0 0
    Smith J Youth 0 0
    Raven Youth 0 0
    Platt Youth 0 0
    Partridge Youth 0 0
    Mannix Youth 0 0
    Foy Youth 0 0
    Calliste Youth 0 0
    Butler Youth 0 0
    Antwi Youth 0 0
    Otsemobor 0 0 0
    Medjani 0 0 0
    Idrizaj 0 0 0
    Babbel 0 0 0

Paid : 99,050,000
    Received : 51,839,150
    Loss : 47,210,850

Pretty much just a smidge under a loss of £1m per player on the 48 players inherited. :eek:

The youths figure is actually better than I expected but still pretty poor when you consider not one youth player graduated to the first team.

Some of the prices paid and the fees subsequently recouped are shocking.
    GED bought some very poor quality and Parry did a typically ****e effort at selling players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement