Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italian clubs eye up James McCarthy

• 28-02-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

This is interesting. From the BBC:
    Italian and English clubs are tracking Hamilton Academical duo James McCarthy and Brian Easton.

Representatives of Brescia and Palermo watched 18-year-old McCarthy in action during Saturday's lunchtime match against Rangers.

McCarthy has been capped at Under-21 level for the Republic of Ireland.

In January, last season's First Division champions Hamilton resisted approaches for four of their players, with McCarthy and Easton believed to have been among those targeted.

McCarthy, who is under contract until 2011, turned down the chance to join Liverpool in 2007 and Chelsea and both halves of the Old Firm have previously expressed interest in the player.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hamilton_academical/7916517.stm

I saw him quoted as saying he'd reject a move to a bigger club if it meant he was stuck in the reserves. He seems to want to play so I don't know if a move to Italy would ultimately be good for him. I wonder what Trap would advise if the opportunity arose?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Should get outa Scotland before he's the new McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That lad must have some agent, linked with almost every club in europe now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

About time he's capped imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

CHD wrote: »
    Should get outa Scotland before he's the new McGeady.

And what is that exactly?

As far as i am led to believe McGeady was one of the best players in the ireland game the other week?

As for McCarthy, the lad is improving at a fantastic rate under the management of Billy Reid at Hamilton.

Whatever any of the EPL snobs think, this season was always going to be a big step up and a big test of his ability.
    He is coming through it though, and i have seen signs of that in the last few weeks.

No doubt he has a lot to learn, but he seems to have the right attitude for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

He should win the Young Player of the Year this season. No doubt Fleck's imergance will win it for him though.

• Advertisement

andyman wrote: »
    He should win the Young Player of the Year this season. No doubt Fleck's imergance will win it for him though.

As a Rangers fan i can honestly say that it would be a complete joke i Fleck won it in comparison to a boy who has been playing first team football all season.

I dont see it happening somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Eirebear wrote: »
    As a Rangers fan i can honestly say that it would be a complete joke i Fleck won it in comparison to a boy who has been playing first team football all season.

I dont see it happening somehow

Fair play. I agree with all of that. It just wouldn't surprise me if he got it for turning in a few good performences for an Old Firm side.

andyman wrote: »
    Fair play. I agree with all of that. It just wouldn't surprise me if he got it for turning in a few good performences for an Old Firm side.

I see where your coming from, but i doubt it.

In fact i hope t doesnt happen, i would much rather see Fleck slip under the radar for a wee while and get some experience under his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Dear Lord in heaven there are some ugly James McCarthies out there. Google the name if you don't believe me:

Punters like:

james_mccarthy.jpg

jim_mc_carthy.jpg

and the truly terrifying:

Jim-McCarthy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

McCarthy won the Young Player of the Month for December and January so I'd say he's got a pretty decent chance of being named the Young Player of the Season. It's probably why the Italian clubs are sniffing around again. I think he was Young Player of the Year for the First Division last season so if he was to win the SPL one this year it would be some achievement.
    EireBear wrote:
    Whatever any of the EPL snobs think, this season was always going to be a big step up and a big test of his ability.
    He is coming through it though, and i have seen signs of that in the last few weeks.

No doubt he has a lot to learn, but he seems to have the right attitude for it.

He also seems to have great fitness levels. He's only 18 yet he's already played 26 games in a very physical league.

• Advertisement

He also seems to have great fitness levels. He's only 18 yet he's already played 26 games in a very physical league.

Definetly, at the start of the season i admit i said i didnt see anything special about the boy but the more i watch him and Hamilton, the more i am impressed by not only him but also the majority of youngsters in their squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Eirebear wrote: »
    Definetly, at the start of the season i admit i said i didnt see anything special about the boy but the more i watch him and Hamilton, the more i am impressed by not only him but also the majority of youngsters in their squad.
    Remember people were saying the same about Stephen Ireland. :) McCarthy isn't dominating matches, far from it, but he clearly has the technical ability, intelligence and attitude of a top player. It was the same with Ireland. I always said Ireland was a player that would get better with better players. Most players would get found out playing alongside the best.

Advertisement