Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive reconnection problem

Options
  • 28-02-2009 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I had a problem with one of my hard drives (3 in total) and wouldnt you know its the one with Windows installed.
    Anyway I borrowed a friends, unplugged the 3, hooked up the old
    one to check it was really the first hd that was the problem
    and everything loaded.
    So I switched everything off, and plugged the other two back in.
    When I booted up Im getting an error.
    I think it cant figure out which one to boot from???
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

Are they sata drives or ide drives if ide drives and you are using different ide ports try swapping them if using single port are the jumpers set to cable select if so try swapping also sorry if this sounds obvious but is the power to all drives alright (connectors not loose)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Sorry, the three of them are sata drives.
    The three cables come out of the same place on the motherboard.
    I'll try again.
    Its weird that when only one is plugged in its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

HighWire wrote: »
    Sorry, the three of them are sata drives.
    The three cables come out of the same place on the motherboard.
    I'll try again.
    Its weird that when only one is plugged in its ok.

it maybe that the sata cables on the motherboard are not fully home and when you plug in the other drives the other cables may cause a bad connection (cables pressing on one another) this happened to me once I have 3 drives one in caddy so I can remove it and replace it with my back up drive also 2 dvd drives all sata, so lots of cables to cause probs

Advertisement