Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controlling Specular Highlights

• 28-02-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

I was doing some tests in a Macro Photo Studio. My main aim was to control the specular highlights. The biggest problem I had with it was controlling the highlights from the glass face. I think I've done OK with it.

The studio setup is shown below.
    Two flashes 580EX II and 430EX, connected with Elinchrom EL-Skyport radio units. The lense is an EF-S 60mm.
    73792.jpg

Below is the original image direct from Lightroom via Photoshop for resizing.
    73793.jpg

This is the finished image after post processing. I did a bit of spot reduction, ran it through Noiseware Pro. Slightly sharpened it with Focus Magic then ran OnOne's Phototools preset 'Funky Senior'.
    73795.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Here are also some hints. But I like what I see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The light-tent I bought for a job can be completely enclosed so only the lens sticks in and you dont get any reflections. Good job though with a fairly dull subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks ThOnda. I had seen that before. It's an excellent site. Listening to him made me go out and spend a small fortune on new lighting gear.

Cheers Keith. I came accross this in Maplins last week and tought it might be worth buying.

Dave OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 whitetea

Why not using polarizing filter next time?

It never occured to me. :eek: I left my filter bag at my sisters in Mullingar... I think. :confused: Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I like the set up you have done there.

I'm curious as to why you've used flash though. With a product you can have a long exposure and not need to worry about movement blurring an image.

Ok, I'm not saying that its wrong to use flash, its perfectly ok to use it. I've rarely used flash in static product photography. I prefer to set up as much as possible with lighting, reflectors, black absorbers (where necessary) and have an exposure as long as required to get the result I'm after.

I should also admit to not being as brave as I should in using flash and experimenting with it more. Well done on the result.

Can I ask if the DOF was intentional as I've found that most of my clients want as much as practical (if not insist on all the image being sharply in focus).

The processed shot I like very much indeed, its pleasing to the eye. A little constructive C&C:-

Attention to detail is everything in product photography. Having the hands at 10 past 10 is very much favoured as it subconsiously gives the appearance of a smile. The day display at the top doesn't indicate the day (its between days). Slightly less of an angle would reveal a little more of the hour markers. There is a reflection on the crown too.

The texture of the face is superb and very well captured.

The lens you're using is very capable indeed and also is good for portraits. It offers great quality and results for a not too bad price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Tactical wrote: »
    I like the set up you have done there.

I'm curious as to why you've used flash though. With a product you can have a long exposure and not need to worry about movement blurring an image.

Flash is always used in product photography!

Tactical, thank you for taking the time to look at this and do a detailed critique on it. Much appriciated. :)

As Rojo pointed out, and I get your point, but using a flash, for me is the way to go with this. If not only to experiment, but flash is also useful for producing fairly consistant results. I hadn't much time to take these shots so finding and getting the tripod out wasn't even considered. Next time I will though.

The DOF was considered but at f32 it still wasn't fully in focus. So I stopped down to f16 because it is the widest I can reasonably go with lense and still stay fairly sharp, thus avoiding lens refraction. I did consider getting out the focus rail and stopping down to f8 or f11 and stacking the resulting images with Helicon or CombineZM, but again, time was my constraint. That's another thing on the list for the next attempt. ;)

The small detail you pointed out is very useful, well spotted, thanks for that. The reflection on the Crown is me.. Doubles as a self portrait. :D

The lense is fantastic. It's on my camera 90% of the time, I'm a big fan.

Anyway, just to sum up. For me this a big step away from my normal mode of shooting macro and closeups. As you can see from the images in my signature. The subjects I usually shoot are very animate. Setup time is usually only a few seconds and always handheld. A bit more work with the light tent, tripod, focus rail etc... and I may learn to slow down a bit and consider the image a bit more.

Dave OS

Advertisement