Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would ye go out with a fatguy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

bman wrote: »
    Sort of similar to me so. Mine is a brownish-red colour, although I go a bit blonde when I get some decent sunlight (not much of that in Ireland!). Now that I think about it, I have very weird hair.

I still think we'll be ultra cool soon enough. We just have to convince the rest of the world. Shouldn't be too hard to outsmart them (everyone knows gingers are 10-15% more intelligent than the average person).

Guess Josh Homme is leading the charge on the ginge revolution haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Dudess wrote: »
    But you don't know. I've gone from having no romantic interest in guys because of not finding them physically attractive... to fancying the pants off them because of getting to know what utterly superb guys they were.
    My friend was in a four-year relationship with a guy she initially did not fancy, but after getting to know him, she was weak at the knees for him. He was the one who actually broke up with her.

But you have to bear in mind Dudess, Pyro is a guy and therefore operates under the 'willy goes up' theory Wibbs explained. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Would Fatboy Slim count? But then he's not fat...

And he's married...

This is confusing :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Red-headed women - well if I was into women, they'd be my type. I think the red-haired, pale skin look, with red lipstick, is stunning.

Must buy red lipstick :D

I'm growing my hair from close to a buzz cut at the moment, it's now the same color as a red setters fur :pac:

But you don't know. I've gone from having no romantic interest in guys because of not finding them physically attractive... to fancying the pants off them because of getting to know what utterly superb guys they were.

Yup same here :) Conversely a guy can be drop dead gorgeous and if he's lacking in personality, my interest will rapidly dwindle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

yup, a guy with the personality of a brick is pretty awful tbh...

Give me the obesity anyday!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

nouggatti wrote: »
    I'm growing my hair from close to a buzz cut at the moment, it's now the same color as a red setters fur :pac:
    Oh that's an amazing colour! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Surely all this personality talk is as subjective as whether one is attracted to someone who's overweight or not? Either there's no objectivity or there is, but I really don't think you should be allowed bad mouth one aspect of a person or say you wouldn't be with a person for one perceived flaw, but not for another. I've seen that attitude over and over again in this thread and its wearing thin tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Iago wrote: »
    Have you met many that it doesn't??...genuine question btw, I can honestly say that I don't remember meeting any women that I didn't find attractive in some way.
    God yea. I would say well over 3/4 of women I may meet don't do anything for me in a physical sexual sense. Nothing against them. they could be gorgeous to most others or whatever, they just don't do it for me. I have women mates one or two of which I can objectively see why men would fall over them, just my *ahem* divining rod never twitched.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I would be attracted to overweight guys, yes. Anything up to three superfluous stone would be fine by me, but morbidly obese, no.

A killer smile and a deep voice would offset any extra weight for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Size matters a lot less, if the guy is question can make me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Surely all this personality talk is as subjective as whether one is attracted to someone who's overweight or not? Either there's no objectivity or there is, but I really don't think you should be allowed bad mouth one aspect of a person or say you wouldn't be with a person for one perceived flaw, but not for another. I've seen that attitude over and over again in this thread and its wearing thin tbh.

Absolutely Brian, I think it was Dudess who said earlier that it's all subjective and what you find attractive :)

For me individually, it's personality over almost everything else but that's just me, others may prefer someone thin/someone funny/someone with long hair/short hair, someone who likes to discuss social issues at length /is able to keep them in the style to which they are accustomed to/whatever :)

If we all were attracted to the same traits in others, it would be rather strange imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

mac_attack wrote: »
    Guess Josh Homme is leading the charge on the ginge revolution haha

Rubbish. Other ginges only wish they could be like Homme. Don't hold him up as some kind of idol for them. Let him go back to the desert to do serious amounts of LSD and reform Kyuss.

Then all will be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Dragan wrote: »
    Rubbish. Other ginges only wish they could be like Homme. Don't hold him up as some kind of idol for them. Let him go back to the desert to do serious amounts of LSD and reform Kyuss.

Then all will be well.

+1

Kyuss ftw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Jesus. I'm expecting the majority of women here to be decidedly on the skinny side. Wonder how a "Would you date a fat chick?" thread would go down...

Why not do a search for the myriad of such threads on this website? On them you will find the lowest common denominator in terms of abuse and cruelty.

Now, contrast that with this thread which contains nothing of the sort - simply girls saying, in a reasonable manner, they wouldn't find an overweight guy attractive. Are you saying people can't have a particular taste?

And while there are girls on the "Would you date a fat chick?" threads saying "you're awful for not fancying overweight women" they're not long getting shot down. And rightly so. It's risible that a person will be expected to "control" their tastes. At least on this thread there are also plenty of girls saying "I wouldn't fancy him at first but I'd get to know him before deciding whether I'd be with him" - something you'd be far less likely to see on "Would you date a fat chick?"

And the "you must be stunning/thin" argument which always gets trotted out - why, necessarily? Does a person's own appearance dictate their taste or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Well my partner is well overweight according to his BMI, being 6 foot and nearly 20 stone, and I have to say I adore him to bits. He makes me laugh out loud, feel special, loved and treats me like a princess. Would I go out with a "Fat Guy"?.......You bet your life I would, I am doing it right now...the only regret I have is that I didnt meet him earlier in my life!!!! I only hope that other people in the world are as happy and content in their relationships as I am with my wonderful "Fat Guy". :)

And the "you must be stunning/thin" argument which always gets trotted out - why, necessarily? Does a person's own appearance dictate their taste or something?

Touché:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Does a person's own appearance dictate their taste or something?
    In many ways it does in my humble. Those people that society/biology/whatever deem attractive have more of a choice in potential partners. They can aim higher as it were. That would have a big enough impact on their taste.

There have been a few studies that would back this up somewhat. When couples of broadly the same social status have separate photos taken and others are asked to rate them by purely physical attraction, they overwhelmingly tend to match up the couples with each other. So people who rate as say 5 will be going out with 5's and people rated as 8's will be going out with another 8 kinda thing(The only thing that tended to skew it was the wealth/social status of the man. So a wealthy 5 man could be with an 8 woman. I suspect as more women become wealthy that's skew it somewhat too).

So if you have more choice you will tend to aim higher, to get the best reproductive partner you can "afford", which over time will affect your taste to at least some degree.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Hmmmm... not in all cases.

But don't you think that a less attractive person is more likely to fancy/accept a less attractive partner? There does exist this notion of 'leagues'.

There's something in that... that a person's own appearance dictates their taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

but i think i can handle guys who are just "fat".... better than short anyways
    There's hope for me yet :D Pity about lack of this "personality" thing though :(:confused:
    nouggatti wrote: »
    All but one of my serious partners as an adult were tall (min. six feet) and not one of those three weighed less than 19 stone, none of them "looked" obese, they were big guys with big builds. They looked overweight, and according to BMI etc were clinically obese.
    LOL. It's funny cos it's true. Once you're beyond the 6 foot mark, and over 18 stone, you're obese.
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    im a student with no money and i can still eat fairly healthily but no doubt it would be easier to just eat crap
    Meh. More a case of how much you eat. Spuds are healthy, eating 10 a day for you dinner isn't.
    bman wrote: »
    This is good news indeed! :D
    Just don't tell V9. He'll never shut up :P

=-=

As for the "shallow" bit, I've seen threads in PI where the OP gets flamed for admitting to liking slimmer girls when he himself wasn't. Cool to know that this ain't always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I think there is a certain vanity in the modern world... Where do ye draw the line? Very very fat (25 stone plus) very fat (20 - 25, possible mantits...) Fat (15-20) Overweight (Anything below)... Where's the limit?

Yeah I knew someone was going to say "the less attractive you consider yourself/are, the less choosy you'll be" but at the same time, when it comes to actually fancying someone as soon as you see them, well you either fancy them or you don't... you don't think "oh they're really hot but they're out of my league so... must... destroy... my attraction to them".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Does obesity give someone a better personality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

My husband is 6 foot 2 inches and he weighs 20 stone... he is very broad and plays rugby......and he is without a doubt the sexiest, most attractive man I have ever gone out with.............:D

I went out with skinny guys before and I tried to convince myself that I was attracted to them but it didn't work......

Denerick wrote: »
    I think there is a certain vanity in the modern world
    How is it "vanity" to have a particular preference?
    Where do ye draw the line? Very very fat (25 stone plus) very fat (20 - 25, possible mantits...) Fat (15-20) Overweight (Anything below)... Where's the limit?
    I find the "where do you draw the line?" argument with all the OTT suggestions quite disingenuous. I mean, it's difficult to articulate exactly where the line should be, but isn't it logical that women here mean before the point where he can't move/breathe properly? Where he won't have a belly that has to be lifted up every time he gets out of his chair?

Yeah I knew someone was going to say "the less attractive you consider yourself/are, the less choosy you'll be" but at the same time, when it comes to actually fancying someone as soon as you see them, well you either fancy them or you don't... you don't think "oh they're really hot but they're out of my league so... must... destroy... my attraction to them".
    I would agree, but that attraction is unlikely to go somewhere in the majority of cases. Broadly speaking leagues do exist and it's not just down to the purely physical. Culture, social status, self confidence, even simple access all have an effect. EG In the latter case, an averagely physically attractive man(or woman) who is a fashion photographer will tend to go out with models more than the same kind of person working in an unrelated field.

We're all "programmed" to seek out the best reproductive partner we can get. Our social attractiveness(not just physical, esp. for men) will dictate how "best" of a partner we can attract. That will impact who we find attractive as a realistic expression. Even subconsciously, if someone feels themselves to be(or is) unattractive, they will limit themselves to a smaller pool of potential partners. They'll tend be more attracted to what they see as someone within their league more than someone who has more choice. You will even see people describe their partner in objectively unrealistic terms. So a plainer woman may describe her equally plain boyfriend as "the most gorgeous man ever" and she'll believe it too. Though I would put good money that if she woke up he next morning significantly more objectively pretty, the relationship wouldn't last, as her potential has gone up.

If I see a couple and they have an obvious disparity in their objective physical attractiveness, you can guarantee the less attractive one is bringing something significantly extra to the party, or the more attractive person doesn't realise their value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Being totally honest - no, I would find it very difficult to fancy a bloke who was fat.
    By fat I mean FAT not carrying an extra stone or so. It's probably the biggest turn off for me and honestly I think they're no excuse for it.

FruitLover wrote: »

No, I was making the point that no personality is far more unbearable than somebody being overweight/obese.

At least you can do something about the weight if you choose to, the personality, you're kinda stuck with.

I think this leagues/level of attraction business can be a bit skewed tnh, as it's entirely dependant on each individuals own sense of self confidence and self esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Wibbs wrote: »
    So if you have more choice you will tend to aim higher, to get the best reproductive partner you can "afford", which over time will affect your taste to at least some degree.

But still, you are attracted to 8s, 9s or 10s and only settle for 3s, 4s or 5s. It only works one way, to change your taste.

In other tests, people were given numbers from 1-10, which were put on pieces of paper on their forehead. They didn't know their own number, but it was clearly visible to everyone else. They were told to try to pair with the highest number they could. A 2, after getting rejected by several high numbers, starts to aim lower. A 9 finds a similarly high number quickly.

Incidentally, a Scrubs episode I saw last night, had Courtney Cox pretending, in a throw-away comment, to be married to this ugly guy. She was horrified when JD believed her. :pac:

Even if you are not personally attracted to a good-looking person, you can recognise that they are in a certain league.

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    Well it's a given he's gonna be jolly and funny. ;)

Advertisement