Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would ye go out with a fatguy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah I knew someone was going to say "the less attractive you consider yourself/are, the less choosy you'll be" but at the same time, when it comes to actually fancying someone as soon as you see them, well you either fancy them or you don't... you don't think "oh they're really hot but they're out of my league so... must... destroy... my attraction to them".

Yeah, good point. I'm just thinking from my own personal experience... I'm attracted to a broad range of guys, and indeed guys that better looking girls probably wouldn't fancy. If I were a size ten stunner would I still fancy these guys? I dunno... it's a bit of a mystery, really.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Does obesity give someone a better personality?
    Well it's a given he's gonna be jolly and funny. ;)

LOL :)

It doesn't automatically, but there's something to be said for the less attractive guy vs the hottie in the personality stakes... the hottie probably doesn't have to work hard to score and could be a bit of an ass; whereas the less attractive guy can't trade on his looks in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

shellyboo wrote: »
    It doesn't automatically, but there's something to be said for the less attractive guy vs the hottie in the personality stakes... the hottie probably doesn't have to work hard to score and could be a bit of an ass; whereas the less attractive guy can't trade on his looks in the same way.

South Park covered that pretty well, but really it's just making more assumptions. All you can really do is talk to people and hope the dick heads get filtered out by your natural dickhead filter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Why not do a search for the myriad of such threads on this website?

No thanks, as it is this thread has proven more than a little disturbing. No need to add fuel to the fire! :D
    Now, contrast that with this thread which contains nothing of the sort - simply girls saying, in a reasonable manner, they wouldn't find an overweight guy attractive. Are you saying people can't have a particular taste?

You know perfectly well what I was implying. But hey, I'll put your argument to the test. We'll see how it goes down! :P
    At least on this thread there are also plenty of girls saying "I wouldn't fancy him at first but I'd get to know him before deciding whether I'd be with him" - something you'd be far less likely to see on "Would you date a fat chick?"

The implied sexism here is wonderful to behold; it's not okay for me to question the emotional capacity for love of those women who judge men based on their looks - or at least you've found fault enough to comment - but it's more than acceptable for you to commend the "get to know him" approach as favoured in this thread, purely because - according to you - such sentiments are absent in similarly debase threads? Wow. Just...wow! :pac:

And the "you must be stunning/thin" argument which always gets trotted out - why, necessarily? Does a person's own appearance dictate their taste or something?

I don't view an overweight woman dismissing a man's appeal on the basis of his weight as anything but moronic. It's just not logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Wibbs wrote: »
    In many ways it does in my humble. Those people that society/biology/whatever deem attractive have more of a choice in potential partners. They can aim higher as it were.

Excellent post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

TelePaul wrote: »
    No thanks, as it is this thread has proven more than a little disturbing. No need to add fuel to the fire! :D
    And yet... you said "I wonder how a 'would you date a fat chick?' thread would go down." What's disturbing about this thread?
    You know perfectly well what I was implying.
    You were implying the girls here who wouldn't fancy an overweight man (as if they have a choice in the matter - I wasn't aware a person could make themselves fancy someone) if focusing on appearance alone, are being unfair and judgemental. I pointed out at least they're doing so in a respectful manner rather than making cruel, hurtful comments, which is what you'll always find on the "would you date a fat chick?" threads... but you didn't touch upon that.
    But hey, I'll put your argument to the test. We'll see how it goes down! :P
    As in, you'll start a "would you date a fat chick?" thread? Do if you want, but there have been plenty of them already. And while you imply the women would be up in arms about it... no, they wouldn't - as long as the comments weren't obnoxious.
    The implied sexism here is wonderful to behold; it's not okay for me to question the emotional capacity for love of those women who judge men based on their looks
    Again, they're not judging them (which is conscious, controlled), they simply don't fancy them (which is unconscious, uncontrolled).
    it's more than acceptable for you to commend the "get to know him" approach as favoured in this thread, purely because - according to you - such sentiments are absent in similarly debase threads? Wow. Just...wow! :pac:
    I believe you're feigning shock and surprise. Now, I'm not sure what's so complicated about what I said, but on this thread which you find so outrageous, women are saying stuff along the lines of "to be honest, I wouldn't find an overweight man physically attractive, but there's a chance I could well fancy him if I got to know him, so I could end up going out with him - I just wouldn't fancy him initially" as opposed to "No way would I go near a lardarse - the lads would give me some slagging. Fat chicks are good for the ride though - they always give great head cuz they're so hungry. No way would you tell anyone you shagged one though. LOL at fat chicks!"
    I believe, staggering as it may seem, that the former is better.
    I don't view an overweight woman dismissing a man's appeal on the basis of his weight as anything but moronic. It's just not logical.
    Why not? Because she doesn't "deserve" a slim guy?

Maybe this thread needs to be divided into two questions: "Would you fancy a fat guy?" And "Would you be in a relationship with a fat guy?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

^ Well said Dudess
    Why not? Because she doesn't "deserve" a slim guy?

I think it's because some people can't get the difference between not finding someone attractive and being disgusted by someone.

Maybe this thread needs to be divided into two questions: "Would you fancy a fat guy?" And "Would you be in a relationship with a fat guy?"[/quote]

Or "Do you fancy fat guys", "Do you think you could fancy a fat guy if you got to know him" and "Are fat women allowed to fancy thin guys"

Broad thread titles are designed to encourage discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah I knew someone was going to say "the less attractive you consider yourself/are, the less choosy you'll be" but at the same time, when it comes to actually fancying someone as soon as you see them, well you either fancy them or you don't... you don't think "oh they're really hot but they're out of my league so... must... destroy... my attraction to them".

Well, judging by a lot of posts here on boards, people do just that.

How many times have we seen "oh I saw this stunning girl I wanted but she's way out my league so I didn't do anything about it" or the like?
    Ok, there's a difference between fancying and making a move on someone, but over time I'd say the fancying might get suppressed more quickly, if you've convinced yourself you don't have a hope.

telepaul wrote:
    I don't think anyone has ever accused the realm of emotions and lust as being logical :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Or is it just too unattractive?

wow how stuck up are you!! :eek:

most girls these days are fat! dont see us posting such idiotic questions!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Facepalm central.
    maxxie wrote: »
    wow how stuck up are you!! :eek:
    It was a question, not a statement. How can asking a particular question make a person "stuck up"? The OP is also a male.
    most girls these days are fat!
    So... the OP was out of order for posting that, but it's ok for you to make such a sweeping statement...?
    dont see us posting such idiotic questions!:P
    Eh... don't we? Where did you get that priceless nugget from? We don't see guys posting such idiotic questions (what's idiotic about it?)... just because you say so is it?

Believe me, we DO see guys posting such questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

maxxie wrote: »
    most girls these days are fat! dont see us posting such idiotic questions!:P

Really? And where are the statts to prove this??

:rolleyes:

Is someone is overweight I wouldnt think it would be the deciding factor on being with them or not! It would depend on the person and all their other qualities!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

ha wooops..... knew I shouldnt have posted in the weopens lounge...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I honestly think human beings have overcome the innate attraction to the stronger, more muscular primate, and that we develop emotional attractions rather than physical ones. Sure, the physical thing is important at the start, but if that is what makes you choose a partner for any significant length of time then I think 1) Its not only shallow, its extremely vain and 2) It does display a certain inability to look past the superficial and fall in love with the emotional aspect of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

bman wrote: »
    Damn it!

I'm really looking forward when it's gonna be ultra cool to be ginger (I predict 2-3 years time*).

* ~ I'm an optimist at heart

the dude from the Frames, Glen Hansard is ginger and the ladies totally dig him

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maxxie try and enter into the spirit of this forum in future or don't post. PS spellcheck would have been a boon for you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I've never found myself attracted to a fat guy. I have a few guy friends who are fat, and they're sound guys, but even after getting to know them - still not attracted. Maybe I just haven't met the right fat guy yet. ;)
    I don't understand why some people seem intent to turn this into a personality vs. physical attraction debate. I'm not sure about anyone else, but when I look for a partner, I look for someone who I'm attracted to both physically and personality-wise. I don't believe that you have to sacrifice one for the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Fat people make me physically sick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Galway people make me want to bring back the Lynch mob days. Ruffians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Denerick wrote: »
    Galway people make me want to bring back the Lynch mob days. Ruffians.

A fat lynch mob - even scarier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Wow. Such a well delivered and well thought out opinion.

Wow. Such a well delivered and well thought out opinion.

What?

There's nothing worse than having to look at a lard arse waddle along with their fat giggling like jelly.

The accompanying heavy breathing and slow pace makes it extra irritating. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

oh ya and you must be sooooo perfect in everyway i think not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

What?

There's nothing worse than having to look at a lard arse waddle along with their fat giggling like jelly.

The accompanying heavy breathing and slow pace makes it extra irritating. :pac:

It's the fatties that proclaim they're happy that bug me. You couldn't be! I mean the seriously, seriously obese!

I just saw a program there about the two fattest f*cks in Britain. One of them got in a mood as he was only 31 stone and thought he was over 50! Anyway, a thread for another time!

I know it's about guys but I'm not into guys so...but I would go out with a girl who was little overweight - maybe, she'd have to be pretty and into losing some weight. I know that doesn't make me sound too good but...I just don't like fat chicks, I mean FAT.

I've no problem with people carrying a few extra pounds.

My first and only love was not a slim girl, but nor was she FAT.

It's only the grossly FAT ****ers I have a problem.

@joes girls: Yeah I'd say I'm bordering on being perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

ok you just dream on little boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 collgal

Listen, where ever the connection takes you then go for it! With some people you will get an instant "hit" - instant attraction - what ever it is. Just go for it people. Life is too short to be sitting there wondering what other people think. I'm not sorry I went for it on more than one occasion :D , but I am sorry I stood back to think about it on other occasions and I missed my chance :rolleyes:. Big, small, tall, short, fat or rake thin - give it a go!!!
    You'll never know till you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

At least you can do something about the weight if you choose to

Yeah, but fat people don't. That's the whole issue.

Personally, I'd find a thin idiot more use than an intelligent slob. At least you can get a good ride from the idiot. (But then again, I wouldn't settle for either when there are plenty of people out there with both a healthy mind and body)
    Well it's a given he's gonna be jolly and funny. ;)

Only if he's got a big red sack. And then we're into a whole other conversation (possibly more suited to PI).
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    the dude from the Frames, Glen Hansard is ginger and the ladies totally dig him

Only because he's famous. If he wasn't, he'd just be like any another [g|m]inger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As do posts like this. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

stovelid wrote: »
    As do posts like this. :o

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I'd just like to point out that this is not After Hours, so don't post like it is kthx.
    If you want to rant about "fat f**kers" go to AH and do it. If you want to actually discuss the topic at hand tone down the insults.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

@joes girls: Yeah I'd say I'm bordering on being perfect.

Just that whole Galway thing to try and overcome, right? ;)

In all seriousness though, i take it you would date a thin man?

Advertisement