Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would ye go out with a fatguy?

Options
123457»

Comments

FruitLover wrote: »
    This is my problem with fat people. No-one expects perfection (despite some catty retorts seen above), but I can't see how someone would be able to let their body go to pot, yet still have a healthy mind. If someone is ugly in a way that can't be helped short of surgery (e.g. misshapen face, hereditary skin condition, etc) then (although I'm not going to be physically attracted to them) I wouldn't think less of them as a person. A significant amount of extra weight is something I consider similar to bad hygiene - something that the person could remedy, but just can't be arsed, which IMO reflects an aspect of their personality.

You are pulling the proverbial missus?

Bad hygiene is physically offensive to those in your company...Comparision where?
    Lets ignore the fact that laziness isnt the sole cause of weight gain.
    Do you really think that as far as aspects of personalites go, that feeling the need to think of less of people based on their appearance is attractive?
    We ain't none of us getting any prettier. What are you going to do, if life is terrible cruel and the other parent of your children devolps a skin condition? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

This is my problem with fat people. No-one expects perfection (despite some catty retorts seen above), but I can't see how someone would be able to let their body go to pot, yet still have a healthy mind. If someone is ugly in a way that can't be helped short of surgery (e.g. misshapen face, hereditary skin condition, etc) then (although I'm not going to be physically attracted to them) I wouldn't think less of them as a person. A significant amount of extra weight is something I consider similar to bad hygiene - something that the person could remedy, but just can't be arsed, which IMO reflects an aspect of their personality.

That's where you'd be making a huge assumption that every single fat person you meet is 'letting their body go to pot'; whereas thin people are not.

Something tells me that you wouldn't go dumping a size ten stunner just because she didn't eat well or exercise, as long as she LOOKED good while doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

With all due respect, you are projecting.

I assume you like to stay in shape, put in the effort, derive happiness from your physical appearance and ability.

As such, you assume should you ever let that go, it would be an inidicator or some kind of negitive development in your life, be it mental or emotional or what have you.

Basically, you don't think you could he happy with extra weight so you don't think anyone else can be either.

No point in assuming that is the case to be honest.

People don't need to be happy in a way that you feel they need to be happy, they can just be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Dragan wrote: »

I assume you like to stay in shape, put in the effort, derive happiness from your physical appearance and ability.

As such, you assume should you ever let that go, it would be an inidicator or some kind of negitive development in your life, be it mental or emotional or what have you.

Basically, you don't think you could he happy with extra weight so you don't think anyone else can be either.

People don't need to be happy in a way that you feel they need to be happy, they can just be happy.

But in all fairness, are the majority of fat people happy? And in fairness unless a massive (pardon the pun) amount of strangers from all different walks of life came onto this thread for a "are fat people happy scientific study" how the heck will we ever know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Dragan wrote: »

Yes being lazy isn't the sole cause of being overweight. There are a myriad of reasons such as: diseases, medication etc. but the VAST MAJORITY of overweight people are as a result of simply eating too much and not enough exercise.

People in my own family are like this: they gorge on food and never rise from the couch. I have also never met anyone overweight who is happy about their weight. Being overweight or underweight is extremely unhealthy, and I like people who take care of their bodies.

I'm not saying these people should change or they can't be happy being overweight, just that I personally would never go out with some-one like this. Not only is fat extremely physically unattractive to me, this aspect of lazy attitude also is extremely unattractive to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

No, but just because I have a type, and I seem to stick very closely to it. Wouldn't not go on a date with a guy that was "hugly" if I honestly liked him and thought he was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Sammag wrote: »
    But in all fairness, are the majority of fat people happy? And in fairness unless a massive (pardon the pun) amount of strangers from all different walks of life came onto this thread for a "are fat people happy scientific study" how the heck will we ever know?

Why wouldn't they be?

I mean, the assumption that someone is unhappy because they are fat is similar to the assumption that someone is unhappy because they are different from me in any way.

*grins* When i was fat i was still happy and i don't think i had any more or any less issues with my appearance that most of the inshape people that i knew at the time. Did i have issues? Sure. Did they? Yes.

With regard to "How would we ever know?" the real question is "Why is it our concern?"

Personally I wouldnt go for someone that would be defined as "fat".

But.. if their carrying a few extra pounds. . that wouldnt really bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

No. I don't mind when guys have a few extra pounds but fat fat no.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

Just after jumping into this thread but here are my thoughts-
    Having been with a large,- yes -so large considered obese guy with the past 6 years. The one thing that strikes me is that most people here are talking about initial attraction... It took me a while to get to know my OH and it was his personality that i fell in love with. Now i love every inch of his body every flabby bit and every skin fold, you should love the person you are with for who they are and not for what they look like.

As for 'fat' people being happier think again-they are the ones who have to live with shallow people. They are the ones who struggle to find clothes to fit them, they are the people who are too embarrassed about their weight to go on a sun holiday- i'm not speaking about all fat people and please do not accuse me of sterotyping but i am talking about the few overweight people i know... they are the people who dread weddings and big occassions because of the stress they have to endure trying to find outfits.. look all i'm trying to say is maybe the next time you see a 'fat' guy get to know him before coming to conclusions he might be the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I find James Corden very attractive at the moment

JP Liz wrote: »
    I find James Corden very attractive at the moment

I like Randy from My Name is Earl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Don't like men tp be fat, skinny or overly fit.

Like them middling really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I've personlally never gone for a heavy guy- my exes have been rakes. My current boyfriend (I knew him about 10 years ago before we started going out) used to be pretty skinny but he's filled out in recent years and looks great, he's not overweight or anything but there's a bit more to grab hold of...:D

Advertisement