Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution - what next?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The Crab people will take over from the Lizard people.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

galwayrush wrote: »
    The Crab people will take over from the Lizard people.:rolleyes:

Possibly, but how are you going to get Fianna Fail out in the first place?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You'll probably find that a stronger immune system will come into play with the increase in anti-biotic resistant bacteria.

I'd say the exact opposite, these drugs render the immune system impotent!

Humans will be taller, thinner (muscle, bones) and fatter - great combination! :eek: and some will become very intelligent.

Skangers will breed separatly and become a dim sub-species.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057734.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Well one thing is for sure, the wimmins in the future still won't be able to park their landspeeder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I reckon we'll have worse memory, from relying on t'internet so much for information.
    I don't know about that. The internet is just a different medium for obtaining information. It's no different to looking things up in a book or asking someone a question. Just a bit faster really.
    Seems like this thread is for the OP to talk about shaved vag and big penis.

Whats next for evolution? Bears with laser beams and giant friggin bats!
    Dogs with bees in their mouths, and when they bark they shoot bees at you.
    funkyflea wrote: »
    My theory.. More conical shaped heads, zero body hair and probably taller human beings..

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/conehead2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Seeing as we alledgedly came from monkeys (I still have trouble with that one, the priest who 'befriended' me when I was young told a different story) where are we headed in the next million years? A few ideas?

Minge Hair: No one likes it, even women. If enough start shaving it off will it disappear forever in time?

Knob sizes: Men like having big knobs, women like having big knobs inside them. What with enhancement surgery etc will the average knob size increase?

Useless body parts: Apparently the appendix is a useless body part. will other parts go the same way? If so which? Ger Cannings Voicebox? Ronan Keatings knob? (come on Ronan, we all know the truth).

Anyone else any ideas?

Maybe no hair at all, a little bit taller...and all women will lose their gag replex :D

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Possibly, but how are you going to get Fianna Fail out in the first place?

That was my earlier reference to evolution taking a step backwards with FF surviving, :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

where are we headed in the next million years?
    Extinction*

*But only after a bit more playtime!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭reggiethefirst

Everyone knows that our brains will become more complex until we reach a level of understanding of the universe that lets us leave behind our mortal bodies and live forever as energy in a higher plane of existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

As a politically correct society, we tend to help those who evolution would've deselected a long time ago, eg. the handicapped, long term unemployed, etc.

Have they isolated the long term unemployment gene yet? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

towel401 wrote: »
    the sun doesnt burn out. but there's a switch on the side of it somewhere. if you can find the switch you can turn it off. will solve global warming if you leave it off for a few days.

Or replace it with an energy saving sun.

kowloon wrote: »
    Have they isolated the long term unemployment gene yet? :P

Yes! it was located in the idle bone ;:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Minge Hair: No one likes it, even women. If enough start shaving it off will it disappear forever in time?

Jesus christ buy a book about evolution would ya.

Besides that hair is needed to absorb sweat. That's why Sikh's wear cotton underpants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Everyone knows that our brains will become more complex until we reach a level of understanding of the universe that lets us leave behind our mortal bodies and live forever as energy in a higher plane of existence.

Existing on a higher plane implies simplicity. Complexity ties you to the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The answer is on the front page:

"Evolution - what next?"
    Fanny ****.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The answer is on the front page:

"Evolution - what next?"
    Fanny ****.

Like bigger flaps?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Eh no... only sci-fi writers seem to know that one.

Matter clumps together nicely in our universe allowing complex arrangements of atoms. If you start invoking the "higher planes" you're straying away from science and straight into religion or the "Babylon 5" universe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Terry wrote: »
    I don't know about that. The internet is just a different medium for obtaining information. It's no different to looking things up in a book or asking someone a question. Just a bit faster really.
    Yea but it's already apparently having an effect on younger generations in how they obtain filter and use that info. Long term it may have an effect on our brain structures. Already spellcheck has made me somewhat lazy.

There are more humans now than ever before. Yes easier international travel has made gene swapping more prevalent, but on a small scale by comparison to the size of the current population. Bigger populations mean more mutations in that population and more chance of a mutation taking root and speciation or sub speciation taking place. We may be evolving faster now in subtle ways than we ever did as a species. Food and diet has been a big driver of this even in the last 10,000 years. People in europe and the near east(and parts of africa) have an adaptation to lactose, so we can drink milk throughout our adult life. That adaptation is much rarer in eastern and sub continental populations. Same goes for the ability to break down alcohol. Europeans sterilised water by brewing . Asians sterilised water mostly by boiling so asians, australian aborigines and native americans don't have that as much(especially the latter two). There's even a theory that the Irish have a much higher intolerance to gluten in grains as we relied on the potato for 300 yrs as a staple. If true that adaptation only took centuries.

I doubt our brains will get much bigger physically anyway. Brain size is limited by the size of the birth canal in women and it's a very energy sapping organ. We may add artificial means to expand it though.

I would reckon the next big thing and the thing that may cause the most social upheaval will be life extension. It's not impossible to imagine that human lifespans could be extended usefully to 150 yrs plus. 1000 years is not totally beyond the pale scientifically either. I mean certain turtles don't age as such. They don't wear out or go "grey" kinda thing. Just the longer they live the more likely something like disease or predation or simple accident will kill them. That could happen with humans too.

If it does happen, it will be an interesting world and a morally weird one too. YOuth would no longer be at a premium. who would you rather hire? A 300 yr old who looked 30 or a 30 yr old?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

life extension ftw! i'm 21 and already feel like an old cnut. need something to keep me going for at least a few more years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Just Playing

Some would say we lost that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭reggiethefirst

Eh no... only sci-fi writers seem to know that one.

Matter clumps together nicely in our universe allowing complex arrangements of atoms. If you start invoking the "higher planes" you're straying away from science and straight into religion or the "Babylon 5" universe.

Have you never watched Stargate SG-1? Ascension ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

5uspect wrote: »
    Hopefully the general populace will develop the intelligence to actually understand evolution. But seeing how ignorance is "in" I can't see that being a selection pressure.

http://www.badscience.net/2006/10/%E2%80%9Call-men-will-have-big-willies%E2%80%9D/

holy crap. that article actually makes me angry with rage!

Advertisement