Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees close to house

Options
  • 28-02-2009 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently in the process of building my first house and one of the problems I am facing is that the house is only 3M from the boundary on the north side. Because I am hoping yo shelter the house from as much of the north winds and rain as possible I am hoping to plant a row of trees (maybe 2 deep if possible) along the northern permiter but am in a predicimant as I don't know what trees will be suitable in terms of sheltering the house as much as possible, and in terms of having shallow enough roots so as not to effect the foundations in the future.

I won't be starting any actual building for a few weeks but was hoping to get started on the trees as soon as possible so as to give them as much time to grow as possible.

Can anyone make some suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm currently in the process of building my first house and one of the problems I am facing is that the house is only 3M from the boundary on the north side. Because I am hoping yo shelter the house from as much of the north winds and rain as possible I am hoping to plant a row of trees (maybe 2 deep if possible) along the northern permiter but am in a predicimant as I don't know what trees will be suitable in terms of sheltering the house as much as possible, and in terms of having shallow enough roots so as not to effect the foundations in the future.

I won't be starting any actual building for a few weeks but was hoping to get started on the trees as soon as possible so as to give them as much time to grow as possible.

Can anyone make some suggestions?

As a general rule of thumb, the diameter of a tree's roots are equal to it's height. A 3m tall tree will have a 3m root run all round, so stick to trees under 3m tall - I'd stick to 2m max to be on the safe side.

Conifers are usually very effective for providing privacy & shelter. But find something you like & ask for advice on growing heights at your garden centre or nursery.

In terms of growing time - trees can be bought at various stages of development. If you have the money, container grown trees are a good option as you won't have to wait a few years for smaller cheaper ones to catch up.

Advertisement