Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Awesome minimal techno!....

• 01-03-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

This guy on youtube did an awesome mix here...

Where can I find more music like this? Supposedly it's "minimal techno".. dunno much about it at all, but I f**king love it! Can you recommend a few artists/compilations from this genre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Tomas_S

post the link of the video coz i cant listen 2 this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

not unlike the most excellent Monolake to my uneducated in this genre ears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Tomas_S wrote: »
    post the link of the video coz i cant listen 2 this :)

What do you mean you can't listen to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXdLfY0jr5o&eurl=http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59229539

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭VODKA-MAN

im a big minimal head myself...

have a look around here..this site is brilliant for new minimal techno releases

http://www.minimalfreaks.com/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Nice mix. I love that 2nd tune, anyone know the name?

There have been a good few threads on this so do a search and there are some good recommendations. Also have a look at the thread "U - Tube Tunes" and there is some great Minimal in there.

Check out my sig for some more minimal mixes too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

magda is one to check out

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dubfire & Sharam (together known as Deep Dish) have some great stuff.

I'll post some more later.. Head on to www.beatport.com and check out the Minimal section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Also check out Dnox & Beckers mix CD ‘Left Behind’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

FVF records are just about to release a comipilation of the best minimal artists from Ireland and abroad

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=99992280

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

Zascar wrote: »
    Dubfire & Sharam (together known as Deep Dish) have some great stuff.

no they dont

• Advertisement

It that just your opinion or is that a fact? :rolleyes:

brianc27 wrote: »
    no they dont
    would have to agree there, the deep dish stuff is mostly commercial drivel, its certainly not minimal anyway, dubfire on the other hand is a great remixer and his label sci+tec recordings is pretty good, has the likes on paul ritch and sian, mostly straight up tech tho not minimal

I meant separately not together as Deep Dish - hence the brackets. Dubfire won best minimal artist on beatport last year, and although I'm not nearly as familiar with Sharam's stuff, I've heard a few stonking tunes of his recently. They may not be classed as 100% pure minimal - but the reason I thought of those two is that the video the OP posted plays a really nice track that I know from a Deep Dish set that I really like right now: http://www.newmixes.com/cedric_gervais_and_deep_dish-essential_mix_live_at_wmc_pool_party_miami-sat-03-29-2008.html

dubfire makes sub par tech house while last i heard sharam he was making and playing electro housey sounding bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Overblood wrote: »

Where can I find more music like this?

ibiza and berlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

been getting into some Ben Klock of late, which is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

Awesome Minimal.............. you must be joking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

senan s wrote: »
    Awesome Minimal.............. you must be joking :D

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

old gregg wrote: »
    been getting into some Ben Klock of late, which is nice

Yeah he is doing some good stuff alright... I just feckin missed the new CD on Boomkat there during the week, all now bloody sold plus nowhere else seems to have it :mad: Although I'm sure they'll get more...

http://www.discogs.com/Ben-Klock-One/release/1589108

Coney Island

I don't see what's so minimal, about er... minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 subnation

Check out Nathan Fake, Tieschwarz and Paul Ritch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I don't see what's so minimal, about er... minimal.

Minimalism started maybe 40 or 50 years ago in the USA in visual art in music. Basically the medium is stripped to its essentials and the focus (at least music wise) is on the structure and progression of the piece as a whole as it matures.

It was made popular by the like of Philip Glass, who did the music for the Truman show and The Hours, among other pieces, though these scores aren't really minimal in style per se. Koyaanisquatsi is Glass's original cinematic work and it is a magnificent piece of minimalistic composition.

To hear a proper piece of classical minimal progressing in structure and design, check out this number by Steve Reich. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVMVDhC-UA it will give you a good idea what minimalism is all about. Great stuff.

With minimal house and techno, this means that the tune is stripped to its essentials.

I like all sorts of electronic music, from techno, throu funky house. I have tried and tried my hardest to like minimal but I just cant. Memories of the Bodytonic tent at EP a couple of years back with the same bloody glitch wubba wubba glitch click woodblock glitch.... then the next DJ comes on and it's another hour of the same muck... for hours on end, regardless of what DJ is playing or what time of day it is.

Such is my experience of minimal electronic music.

I am going to be really controversial here and say that minimal electronic music is total copout 'art' and you'd want to be off your bloody game to enjoy it in any capacity. It has no melody, it has no soul. It has no progression (unless you want to count the periodic introduction of hi-hats and noises as progression). It has no significant thought put into the way it is arranged.

What it does have, in my experience, is a devout following of music snobs who like to think of anything remotely approaching melodeous as 'cheesy' and like to out snob each other by seeing who can 'enjoy' the most boring music.

Ultimate minimal? A standard 4/4 kick and nothing else for 3 hours. Can't get better than that.

*Awaits abuse from minimal house/techno fans

I'd love an example of the bland stuff I hear mentioned a lot when it comes to minimal, I really like what the likes of Ben Klock is doing and also the early stuff from Wolfgang Voigt as Studio One. Equally Voigt as Gas for a more ambient touch. How about Anders Ilar? - Is he classed as minimal?

I know and love 'Music for 18 Musicians', fantastic piece. I actually listened to that a few weeks ago one Saturday morning when I woke early and couldn't sleep, an amazing thing to hear first thing in the morning before anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Minimalism started maybe 40 or 50 years ago in the USA in visual art in music. Basically the medium is stripped to its essentials and the focus (at least music wise) is on the structure and progression of the piece as a whole as it matures.

It was made popular by the like of Philip Glass, who did the music for the Truman show and The Hours, among other pieces, though these scores aren't really minimal in style per se. Koyaanisquatsi is Glass's original cinematic work and it is a magnificent piece of minimalistic composition.

To hear a proper piece of classical minimal progressing in structure and design, check out this number by Steve Reich. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVMVDhC-UA it will give you a good idea what minimalism is all about. Great stuff.

With minimal house and techno, this means that the tune is stripped to its essentials.

I like all sorts of electronic music, from techno, throu funky house. I have tried and tried my hardest to like minimal but I just cant. Memories of the Bodytonic tent at EP a couple of years back with the same bloody glitch wubba wubba glitch click woodblock glitch.... then the next DJ comes on and it's another hour of the same muck... for hours on end, regardless of what DJ is playing or what time of day it is.

I am going to be really controversial here and say that minimal electronic music is total copout 'art' and you'd want to be off your bloody game to enjoy it in any capacity. It has no melody, it has no soul. It has no progression (unless you want to count the periodic introduction of hi-hats and noises as progression). It has no significant thought put into the way it is arranged.

What it does have, in my experience, is a devout following of music snobs who like to think of anything remotely approaching melodeous as 'cheesy' and like to out snob each other by seeing who can 'enjoy' the most boring music.

Ultimate minimal? A standard 4/4 kick and nothing else for 3 hours. Can't get better than that.

You got it in one mate, ive also tried my damnest to get into this sound but watching paint dry is more exciting, for me it's the possibly the worst genre of dance music of all time:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

was going to hurl abuse but honest man it just proves that you know nothing of the genre.no melody?come on now
    how much soul is in trance or hard house(horrible comparisons i know but you see my point).i love my soulful house but i dont need to have soul in every single one of the tracks i listen to or party to.
    theres plenty of melodic minimal.i dont think that everyone who listens to it is a snob.ive always made it known that i like funky house.
    plus have you ever seen a minimal track go off in a club?its not people standing round stroking there chins.
    theres so many variations on minimal now that i guarantee you have enjoyed some of it some stage.doppelwhipper is one that really turned alot of people onto it,great track.check it out

Muse are decent enough.

you obviously dont know very much about music in general....

minimal comes in so many different varieties, there is obviously mundane minimal out there and with the explosion of beatport the amount of mundane music available has increased in every genre.

the minimal i like has some of the best production i have heard on any piece of music, its not like its not thought out just because its stripped down to its bare forms, the synth sounds that some of minimal artists are coming out with are mindblowing and really have people turning heads in clubs, the fact that the music is only made up of a few elements makes it harder to produce a track, as more attention has to be paid to the synths that are used in order to produce the groove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Minimal isnt just the same sh!t over and over like some people would have you believe. Look at these tunes. The Gaiser one is very deep, the Utku Dalmez / Ahmet Sendil is much more driving and tough and the Two EM / Spektre one is banging when it gets going. Dont get me wrong there are some really terrible tracks out there that would just put you to sleep but there is some real quality too. Its a love it or hate it genre.

Gaiser

Utku Dalmez / Ahmet Sendil

Two EM / Spektre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

SteveDon wrote: »

minimal comes in so many different varieties, there is obviously mundane minimal out there and with the explosion of beatport the amount of mundane music available has increased in every genre.

the minimal i like has some of the best production i have heard on any piece of music, its not like its not thought out just because its stripped down to its bare forms, the synth sounds that some of minimal artists are coming out with are mindblowing and really have people turning heads in clubs, the fact that the music is only made up of a few elements makes it harder to produce a track, as more attention has to be paid to the synths that are used in order to produce the groove

would have to disagree there , thats an awful track in my opinion
    would be more into the deep / ambient side of minimal. atmospheric stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Oh Obviously.

I mean I only played drums for 8 years and piano for 4 years. And I can read sheet music.

But I guess I'll never REALLY know about music until I become a b utton pushing "deejay" like yourself and get other people's music and play that, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Interesting about spektre - did u know they were hardhouse dj's previously?

• Advertisement

the vast majority of what people consider minimal techno is pretty much just over produced house music, some of its good, some of its bad but its not really minimal techno, its gas the amount of people that think its a genre that popped up sometime after the year 2000, for proper minimal techno check out rob hood (who pretty much invented mimimal techno), basic channel, convextion, older jeff mills, older plastikman, nearly every track mentioned here (including that youtube mix) is not minimal techno, its that housey sound the likes of DC10 have been bangin out for a few years now, im not saying its bad coz i like some of it but i don't consider it minimal techno, none of those tracks have that raw stripped down aggressive feel to them.

the vast majority of what people consider minimal techno is pretty much just over produced house music, some of its good, some of its bad but its not really minimal techno, its gas the amount of people that think its a genre that popped up sometime after the year 2000, for proper minimal techno check out rob hood (who pretty much invented mimimal techno), basic channel, convextion, older jeff mills, older plastikman, nearly every track mentioned here (including that youtube mix) is not minimal techno, its that housey sound the likes of DC10 have been bangin out for a few years now, im not saying its bad coz i like some of it but i don't consider it minimal techno, none of those tracks have that raw stripped down aggressive feel to them.
    Brian you have a point and I do kinda agree, but I'm going to sound like a broken record here and say: who the **** cares! Endless arguing about what exact sub-genre a track or artist is - is pointless. I'd have to say I'm not really into "REAL Minimal" a lot of the time it is quite downtempo and so little going on that it bores me to tears. I like the OP's youtube but I have several of the tracks on there and they are not in my minimal directory on my computer. There is a very very fine line between Minimal and the likes of tech house, techno, and even some house (or "Microhouse" as some like to call it) - but if tis appropriate I'm still going to call it Minimal.

but if someone gave you a listen of a track and claimed it was funky house but was a blatant hard house track by lisa lashes you'd correct them and explain its funky house, if your gonna be into a style of music at least get its genre right, the term minimal techno is more a less a phrase used to describe tech house these days, similar to progessive house term of a few years ago, it actually pisses me off when i hear people try and be all in the know and say ****e like richie hawtin and minus records are at the forefront of the minimal techno scene, they are in their bollox, i've no issue with hawtin or minus i like hawtin and like the odd minus release, i was just using them as an example, it seems the new cool thing to say your into minimal techno these days.

i was listening to an old rob hood set at a session a few months ago and some fella asked me could we put on some minimal techno:confused::confused::confused:

p.s this is not really aimed at anyone that posted here

Usually I let these things go and let the other lads answer, but I have to completely disagree on this one. I've been an avid dance/electronic music fan for more than 10 years, over a pretty wide variance of styles, but its only in the last 2 years that I even began to take a liking for minimal (and also Techno these days too). To sound like a complete arsehole music snob, yes i do this it is "Sophisticated Dance Music". I have always admitted to being a bit of a music snob (mainly towards tiesto etc) but like sean nash I've always have a love for funky house too - its just my taste. Anyway, It took me a long time to get into Minimal - there was a time that I did not like it at all, but I think I just did not really 'get it' - but slowly getting introduced and then delving into it more and more, I grew to absolutely love it and have never looked back. I'm kind surprised that being a drummer you can not identify with it more...

When mixing at home I get the most pleasure about of mixing minimal - however I would never play it at a party, it just not that vibe, but I love listening to it in the car, and at home. Because of its rawness and simplicity you can have great fun mixing and layering it - playing about with different things, looping etc. Only very recently I'm getting into Techo - but I'd still class myself as a beginner. Rob Hood who was mentioned above is one of my favourites - I'm just blown away by how him and similar artists put together sets of what on their own would seem like totally plain and boring rhythms but arranged masterfully can totally transform a track to something new. Point it that I had to (for lack of a better word) 'educate' myself to get a liking for it, but once I did it grew from there. I ahve tried to listen to dnb and dubstep etc but I just can;t get into it cause to me it just seems like there is way too much going on and its just messy. Horses for Courses...

If I'm having a conversation with someone know knows absolutely nothing about dance music - I obviously do not expect them to be able to appreciate Minimal - it would just sound completely strange and weird to them because they are just not accustomed to it in any way. However the Analogy I usually make is that its quite like Modern Art. Go into a Modern Art Gallery and you will see some near priceless works of art that the majority of people will look at and go: "What he fcuk is that - that's not art, its a white canvas with a red line and a blue dot..." - but to people who are very into their art - the painting could be a masterpiece.

I know this sounds pretty ridiculous, so please take it with a very large pinch of salt - its just an analogy to put it into perspective for those who know nothing about dance music whatsoever - but I find that it opens the mind of those who would just think "Dance music is sh!t - its just BOOM BOOM BOOM"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Interesting about spektre - did u know they were hardhouse dj's previously?

No I didnt but thats probably why there tunes tend to be on the tougher side of minimal.

Pacemaker:

I know who Rob Hood is and I know he was the first to start making Minimal and I know and love his sound. I suppose its the more european sound that people are generally talking about when they say Minimal these days.

I find getting too anoraky about what genre something is to be a bit pointless. I take it as a guide for how a record might sound. It gives you a general idea on what to expect before you listen to a track and I like alot of the stuff thats classed as minimal these days.

I love this Spektre tune too - Jade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKAccHjEnlI

But that is definitely not Minimal

• Advertisement

Oh Obviously.

I mean I only played drums for 8 years and piano for 4 years. And I can read sheet music.

But I guess I'll never REALLY know about music until I become a b utton pushing "deejay" like yourself and get other people's music and play that, right?

WOW, i am very impressed.

I said that because you like muse.... which makes it obvious you have no taste.......i wasnt predicting your musical talent....

I have been in and out of bands since ive been 12 years old, played guitar, bass and drums in different bands at some stage, played everything from punk to jazz, but nothing has held my attention longer than this music.

For the record I dont just push a button and play a song, Ive been working on my own productions for the past 2 and a bit years.

And besides thats not what djing is about anyway, and if you think it is why are you bothering to post on this forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ok here's your abuse:pac::pac::
    if you are familiar with the works of Reich, Glass, serialism, Schoenberg and anything modern/avant garde about classical music , I'm surprised you complain of minimal techno/house having ' no melody, it has no soul'.

MAny of the 20th century developments in music (minimalism, serialism, music concrete, a lot of electoacoustic stuff) were about moving away from such concepts (as in the concept of melody, emotion, and 'soul').

Yes, it is music for intellectual snobs but so is Steve Reich. Ever been to a performance of Reich's work? Not exactly full of Jonny68's if ya get what I mean.

Yes, it is music for intellectual snobs but so is Steve Reich. Ever been to a performance of Reich's work? Not exactly full of Jonny68's if ya get what I mean.[/quote]

Haha...gas man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jtsuited wrote: »
    . Ever been to a performance of Reich's work? Not exactly full of Jonny68's if ya get what I mean.
    actual lol :D:D:D

dubfire makes sub par tech house while last i heard sharam he was making and playing electro housey sounding bollox

You should listen to "Crazi" then - none other than Coxy's number 1 tune of the last month

• Advertisement

All very much my cup of tea - just finally got my hands on a copy of the Convextion CD a couple of weeks ago, what a collection of bloody amazing tracks. Everything he does is fckin special, be it his own tracks or remixes...

Convextion - Astrum

Model 500 - Starlight (Convextion Remix)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

Felixdhc wrote: »
    All very much my cup of tea - just finally got my hands on a copy of the Convextion CD a couple of weeks ago, what a collection of bloody amazing tracks. Everything he does is fckin special, be it his own tracks or remixes...

Convextion - Astrum

Model 500 - Starlight (Convextion Remix)

he makes some quality tracks , hes playing here soon for test in kennedys...not sure what date

Entec wrote: »
    he makes some quality tracks , hes playing here soon for test in kennedys...not sure what date

That would be something not to miss, any idea what month even? I have to get to that, still raging I didn't make it to B12 last year :mad:

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    You should listen to "Crazi" then - none other than Coxy's number 1 tune of the last month

that pretty much backs up my theory that hes f*ckin sh*t if carl cox he charting his tracks

That would be something not to miss, any idea what month even? I have to get to that, still raging I didn't make it to B12 last year :mad:

march 27th

his stuff under his ERP guise is really good too.

march 27th

his stuff under his ERP guise is really good too.

Excellent, have to get to that.

Haven't heard his stuff as ERP, only other alias I have heard is on the excellent 'Viewpoints' compilation from last year, on that as 'Time Light Curve'

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Viewpoints-Chapter-One/release/1293691

I see on Discogs he has had some releases on Ai Records also as ERP, must go digging for that too.

Speaking of Robert Hood, did anyone else get the excellent 'Grey Area' mix a couple of months back? - Also, does anyone know if the tracklist has been fully completed yet?

http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Hood-Deep-Concentration-The-Grey-Area-Mix/release/1567692

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I said that because you like muse.... which makes it obvious you have no taste.

bull****

Speaking of Robert Hood, did anyone else get the excellent 'Grey Area' mix a couple of months back? - Also, does anyone know if the tracklist has been fully completed yet?

http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Hood-Deep-Concentration-The-Grey-Area-Mix/release/1567692

wasnt that impressed by that mix, his rare species and fabric mixes are alot better

his some of the tracklist fron the greay area

01. R. Hood - The Grey Area [M-Plant] http://www.discogs.com/release/22632
    03. Maurizio - M7 (unreleased mix) [M] http://www.discogs.com/release/716
    06. 2000 and One - Sunday [Intacto] http://www.discogs.com/release/436981
    09. Monobox - Realm [M-Plant] http://www.discogs.com/release/26626
    10. Round Three - Acting Crazy (Club Vocal) [Main Street] http://www.discogs.com/release/578
    12. The Vision - Explain The Style [Metroplex] http://www.discogs.com/release/13410
    14. Robert Hood - Side Effect [Music Man] http://www.discogs.com/release/1165762
    16. Sounders Department - Cosmopolitan [Sounders Dept.] http://www.discogs.com/release/38366
    18. DBX - Losing Control [Accelerate] http://www.discogs.com/release/5407
    19. Robert Hood - Sleep Cycles [M-Plant] http://www.discogs.com/release/7000
    21. Surgeon - Scorn [Tresor] http://www.discogs.com/release/15858
    22. Marco Carola - Question 4 (a1) [Question] http://www.discogs.com/release/10838

I think its a great mix, as is the Fabric mix.

Yeah had found a list pretty much as what you put up - doesn't seem to be a complete list around though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement