Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on the prom??

Options
  • 01-03-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Heard a rumour that you can't walk dogs on the prom any more.

Any truth to it??

Tried Google etc but nothing coming up

Thanks

Milmo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

It'll probably come to that at some stage the amount of Dog Sh1te on that prom is unreal. I mean FFS they've even pooper scooper dispensers as well!

I walk my dog on the prom as well but one of the few that'll bother to clean up!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

So it's not true????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

you tried google..

was that a search for "Dogs on the prom??"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

milmo wrote: »
    So it's not true????

Haven't heard anything myself. I'll walk my dog there regardless :cool: (awaits Mary Fahys life sentence)

Edit: GCC info: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/Litter/DogFouling/

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

Dogs are always allowed on the Prom.

However, they are not allowed on most Galway City beaches during the summer months, apart from early AM and later PM. Will try and find link....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

I like dogs they should be allowed anywhere they like..they're so cute..but I dont have a dog I have a cat..he's ginger. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

omg lol I've a ginger dog! he's called blackie. He didn't like being called ginger

The pooperscoopers are there. It's just that nobody can be arsed to enforce the laws regarding dog waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

I think it has to to with bringing dogs onto the beach during the summer months. Some people will clean up after their dog has left a present, but quite a few don't.

A lot leave the dog off leash to 'ramble' and poop wherever they like. Of course the owner is up the road pretending they don't own the animal :cool:

You really need to watch where you walk out there. :D

And the only time you'll see the warden on the prom is when the weather is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

It would be a real shame if it has come to the stage where you cant walk your dog on the prom but i guess its because of the people too lazy to clean up after their dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I was on the prom today and there were loads of dogs so its not true I'd say. I noticed all the pooper scooper dispensers were empty though. I do love dogs but stepping in dogsh1t really grinds my gears, its all over the place in Salthill and Claddagh. I wish the owners would take some responsibility.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I mean FFS they've even pooper scooper dispensers as well!

Yeah, empty ones the last couple of times I was there.

It is ridiculous though that people don't bring a tissue with them or train the dog to go to the curb (as is required in a lot of European cities).

It's so bad that when I was spotted by someone cleaning up after my dog, she made a point of coming over and thanking me!

By banning dogs though, you're punishing the wrong end of the leash. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Das Kitty wrote: »
    By banning dogs though, you're punishing the wrong end of the leash. :(

Yup. A couple of €1,000 fines, highly publicised, would soon clean up the Prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It is true that dogs are banned from the beach, but not the prom.

I was just looking at the sign about this yesterday. It's on the railings the Salthill side of the Lifeguards' hut at Grattan Beach.

It something like dogs aren't allowed during June, July, August and September on the beach during 8am and 10pm and after that only if on a leash.

Typical Galway City Council dogs**t! Why not enforce existing laws and provide pooper scoopers rather than coming up with a stupid unenforceable law that punishes all dog owners and not just the errant ones.

It's almost as ridiculous as the stupid Galway City Council byelaws where they've banned powerboats. The sign on this one is at the slip almost opposite the new Cafe Cocos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

churchview wrote: »
    It is true that dogs are banned from the beach, but not the prom.

I was just looking at the sign about this yesterday. It's on the railings the Salthill side of the Lifeguards' hut at Grattan Beach.

It something like dogs aren't allowed during June, July, August and September on the beach during 8am and 10pm and after that only if on a leash.

Typical Galway City Council dogs**t! Why not enforce existing laws and provide pooper scoopers rather than coming up with a stupid unenforceable law that punishes all dog owners and not just the errant ones.

It's almost as ridiculous as the stupid Galway City Council byelaws where they've banned powerboats. The sign on this one is at the slip almost opposite the new Cafe Cocos.

Totally agree, i was on gratton rd & my dog saw the sea & naturally became excited, so, i saw posters at steps, nothing on them. Did not think to look on side of the lifeguard hut, why would i? i would expect swimming conditions etc there. Had just let my little guy go on this windy day with an empty beach, poor little buger never made it to the sea, i was chased off by a power crazed lifeguard weilding threats of fines. I just kinda froze as it was all a bit of a shock.
    The law about not letting dogs on the beach on certain months at certain times is riddiculous. It was not so long ago that we were expected to swim in the sea full of raw seweridge from every city hotel & household.
    Pick up your dogs wee presents if they are on ashfelt or concrete i agree, but if on sand or soil it is biodegradable.
    I have seen may parents lift up kids to poo or pea all over the beach, do parents clean that up? no, but, god forbid a little dog gets caught short.

Galway roads are full of pot holes, city traffic is almost at a standstill because the city planner cant plan & bus lanes are empty during non school or work drives, but do they do what uk does and let u use them from 10am till 3pm to eliviate traffic, do they hell.
    Dont get me started on the 8 years i have been on the housing list and the dustbin men picking up bins when they feel like it, or, employing regular street cleaner ( the square is a disgrace as is shop street) No, ignore all that and call a meeting for a day, push up your expenses and make stupid laws for dog owners, yeah, thats what we pay our taxes for isnt it. Bloody moronic city council should fine itself for incompetance and wasting, how many million was it on eyre square - that looks exactly the same ffks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

medeame wrote: »
    Pick up your dogs wee presents if they are on ashfelt or concrete i agree, but if on sand or soil it is biodegradable.

Blue flag beaches require clean water, with very low levels of faecal coliforms. Faecal coliforms come from, yes you guessed it, faeces. Shit on the beach will produce coliforms, ergo, the beach could lose its blue flag status. I can't believe people like you actually think its ok to let your dog crap on a beach and not clean up after it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ceepeedee

Totally agree, i was on gratton rd & my dog saw the sea & naturally became excited, so, i saw posters at steps, nothing on them. Did not think to look on side of the lifeguard hut, why would i? i would expect swimming conditions etc there. Had just let my little guy go on this windy day with an empty beach, poor little buger never made it to the sea, i was chased off by a power crazed lifeguard weilding threats of fines. I just kinda froze as it was all a bit of a shock.
    The law about not letting dogs on the beach on certain months at certain times is riddiculous. It was not so long ago that we were expected to swim in the sea full of raw seweridge from every city hotel & household.
    I have seen may parents lift up kids to poo or pea all over the beach, do parents clean that up? no, but, god forbid a little dog gets caught short.

Galway roads are full of pot holes, city traffic is almost at a standstill because the city planner cant plan & bus lanes are empty during non school or work drives, but do they do what uk does and let u use them from 10am till 3pm to eliviate traffic, do they hell.
    Dont get me started on the 8 years i have been on the housing list and the dustbin men picking up bins when they feel like it, or, employing regular street cleaner ( the square is a disgrace as is shop street) No, ignore all that and call a meeting for a day, push up your expenses and make stupid laws for dog owners, yeah, thats what we pay our taxes for isnt it. Bloody moronic city council should fine itself for incompetance and wasting, how many million was it on eyre square - that looks exactly the same ffks

Dog poo is biodegradeable, true, problem is it's also potentially toxic while it's degrading! My tuppence-worth is that the prom is a bit of a disgrace, and I have personal experience of letting the kids out of the car at the prom and almost tripping over a lsmall dog doing its business while the young lady owner and her friend laughed - under a sign explaining that it was all punishable by a fine. And I agree with other posters, while I don't like dogs personally I live and let live - it's some owners I have a problem with!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

ceepeedee wrote: »
    Dog poo is biodegradeable, true, problem is it's also potentially toxic while it's degrading! My tuppence-worth is that the prom is a bit of a disgrace, and I have personal experience of letting the kids out of the car at the prom and almost tripping over a lsmall dog doing its business while the young lady owner and her friend laughed - under a sign explaining that it was all punishable by a fine. And I agree with other posters, while I don't like dogs personally I live and let live - it's some owners I have a problem with!

It is legal for dogs to poo on the Prom. What is illegal is when that poo is left there by the owner. Dog owners should carry bags with them any time they are in a public place and clean up after their dogs. If there are no bins, then bring the poo bag home with you. Simple as.

Please don't leave dog poo on a beach where children can play in it.

I like Ceepeedee's "live and let live" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did not think to look on side of the lifeguard hut, why would i? i would expect swimming conditions etc there. Had just let my little guy go on this windy day with an empty beach, poor little buger never made it to the sea, i was chased off by a power crazed lifeguard weilding threats of fines. I just kinda froze as it was all a bit of a shock.
    The law about not letting dogs on the beach on certain months at certain times is riddiculous.
    The bye law is there for a reason. I would think it's because the children running around barefoot on the sand don't want to step in fresh dog poo/ being approached by strange unleashed dogs.
    You didn't know ok but the lifeguard informed you.

Btw everyone, please use degradable bags for the waste if you don't already
    dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

There should be wardens to rub the owners nose in the dogsh*t, if they don't clean it up.

• Advertisement

It is legal for dogs to poo on the Prom. What is illegal is when that poo is left there by the owner. Dog owners should carry bags with them any time they are in a public place and clean up after their dogs. If there are no bins, then bring the poo bag home with you. Simple as.

Please don't leave dog poo on a beach where children can play in it.

I like Ceepeedee's "live and let live" attitude.

Good point, I guees yes it is technically legal for the dog to poo all he wants! In this instance though, the young ladies had no intention of cleaning up said poo, it was all a bit of a gag for them. I can only pretend they were laughing with embarrassment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

have ye seen the state of grattan beach? how it passed the water testing i dunno, rubbish everywhere,
    Maybe humans should pick up after themselves and leave poor doggies alone

skelliser wrote: »
    have ye seen the state of grattan beach? how it passed the water testing i dunno, rubbish everywhere,
    Maybe humans should pick up after themselves and leave poor doggies alone

I should add, of course, that my youngest once pooed (spelling?!) on someone's doorstep, and I cleaned it up immediately!

But you've raised a good point, it's the people, not the dogs, that are the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It was not so long ago that we were expected to swim in the sea full of raw seweridge from every city hotel & household

Ahh, the good old days. It was good enough back then, so it should be good enough now too!

Dont get me started on the 8 years i have been on the housing list and the dustbin men picking up bins when they feel like it, or, employing regular street cleaner ( the square is a disgrace as is shop street)

I won't comment of the rest of your rant, but can assure readers that the council does employ regular street cleaners. I hear them at a ridiculous time every morning! And I recognise some of the guys who are regularly cleaning streets and emptying rubbish bins during the rest of the day

Advertisement