Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl LP shops in Dublin?

Options
  • 01-03-2009 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Greetings :)

Can anyone recommend a good 2nd-hand vinyl shop in Dublin?

I'm into 70s rock/blues/jazz.

Thanks,
    Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

The Basement / Base X has moved somewhere near Temple Bar last I heard.

Other option is ebay, shipping is probably a problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Buying vinyl in Dublin is crap :(
    Freebird on Wicklow St in the Secret Bookshop is ok.
    Spin Dizzy in Georges Arcade will have some 70s stuff.
    Borderline in Temple Bar has some stuff.
    Tower Records will have new re-pressings.
    City Discs I suppose you could look into if you're in Temple Bar - it's beside The Music Centre/Button Factory.

All of the above can be quite expensive.
    I've seen second hand copies of Rumours (Fleetwood Mac) for €10 - I bought it in Glasgow for £1!!
    dixiefly wrote: »
    Other option is ebay, shipping is probably a problem though.

Yep, pretty much :)
    The hazzards of being an island seperate to the UK :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Buying vinyl in Dublin is crap :(
    Freebird on Wicklow St in the Secret Bookshop is ok.
    Spin Dizzy in Georges Arcade will have some 70s stuff.
    Borderline in Temple Bar has some stuff.
    Tower Records will have new re-pressings.
    City Discs I suppose you could look into if you're in Temple Bar - it's beside The Music Centre/Button Factory.

All of the above can be quite expensive.
    I've seen second hand copies of Rumours (Fleetwood Mac) for €10 - I bought it in Glasgow for £1!!

Yep, pretty much :)
    The hazzards of being an island seperate to the UK :(

Thanks for that Alan. I'll have a look next time I'm in the Big Shmoke.

I bought 1 LP (Demons and Wizards by Uriah Heep) from the UK recently and it was in very good nick. I found it on musicstack.com so that would seem to be the way to go to get good quality vinyl.

Thanks,
    Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

P.M. sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sound Cellar on Nassau Street is pretty good for LP's... Only you're really dealing with rock/metal only really. Not much else like Jazz or anything. Tho if there are any rock albums you want and can't seem to get anywhere (internet included), pop in and talk to Tommy. If he can't get it, no one can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

discogs.com is another good resource. Can usually find a reasonably priced copy of something you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nicky distance

I make music and also collect 60's-70's rock, jazz, soul, and newer indie lp's. I usually buy my records from ebay, but the shipping charges fluctuate and i've been burnt several times when it comes to the stated condition. I also go to Borderline, Spin Dizzy and Freebird regularly and their collections are usually solid. Last Saturday I actually discovered the other record shop in georges arcade after walking past it hundreds of times. I got a few quality hard to find first pressings and the bloke working there gave me a 20% discount because I was spending a few quid. Mind you the place looks like it's in disarray, but they had great stuff (every Who album on track, lots of Hendrix on track, lots of first pressings and rare stuff). I could have spent a fortune. Another option is to hold off until Vincent's charity shop has their special days where they put all their lp's out, keep in mind you have to get there early and prices do fluctuate. They usually do it once every 2-3 months. Record fairs are usually hit or miss, but the admission is usually around €3 so it's always worth it to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Road Records on Fade Street (near Hogans pub and the Market bar) stock some vinyl. They were running a 50% off sale a number of weeks back and see that they have a sale coming up on the 18th of next month. Stocks were low last time I was there because they thought they would have to close down. But now that they have avoided the chop they might have some new stock in.

Tower Records on Wicklow Street also has a fairly good selection including some stuff from the 70's. Worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Since when are Road REcords not closing down ? Have bands made a pledge to not go in there with their HMV bags or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Soon after announcing our closure a number of ideas were thrown at us by different people and we started to think that maybe there was a way that we could carry on. We have set ourselves certain targets and have agreed that if we manage to hit every single one of them then we will carry on with the shop. Last Saturday night [benefit gig] was the fulfilment of a major target!

http://www.roadrecs.com/scene/news.php

It seems that they are definitely not closing... yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gasolinehorsey

theres a new shop open on mary street, just sells secondhand records, in some little mall thing beside the asian market

its not that easy to find, i found it by mistake standing in out the rain last week, worth it though, a nice little shop full of records, could be wrong on this but i think its called fuzzy logic records

theres a new shop open on mary street, just sells secondhand records, in some little mall thing beside the asian market

its not that easy to find, i found it by mistake standing in out the rain last week, worth it though, a nice little shop full of records, could be wrong on this but i think its called fuzzy logic records

Saw that myself.

Now,

Sssshhhh! Before people nick all the good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gasolinehorsey

its too late, i got all the good stuff already

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭SHINKICKER

hi any body got any recommendations where to get a decent record player in dublin?? new or 2nd hand i dont mind, thanks- Ger.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

the shop in mary street market, fuzzy logic records
    he has a good selection of record players

thanks Dolittle

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

SHINKICKER wrote: »
    hi any body got any recommendations where to get a decent record player in dublin?? new or 2nd hand i dont mind, thanks- Ger.

hi. i got a record player as a present just a few weeks ago. it's an itek, brand new, with cd and cassette tape slot. i think it was from Aims cash and carry in walkinstown/ clondalkin. i think it was 68-70 euros. dunno if they have more stock though. but worth checking out.

hi Camz09, I actually got 1 2day from Fuzzy logic records 2day!!! it was the last 1 in the shop but thanks for the advice!! got it for 100 euro havent tried it yet!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement