Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ILP "loan" to Anglo

Options
  • 01-03-2009 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Why would ILP give them this loan?
    Was it just to delay the failing of the bank, or was there some other reason.

Also, I have heard it said in passing that there is a lot more to come out.
    A couple of solicitors(one Irish) were talking about this today, tapped their noses, passed significant looks, and wouldn't talk about it. But they were quite adamant that there is a lot more dodgy things to come out.

I'd well believe it, but can anybody pass on any rumours they've heard. Just to shoot the breeze, like. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

FuzzyLogic wrote: »

Anglo had helped out ILP previously, when the latter had been finding it difficult to source funding in the interbank market.
    A couple of solicitors(one Irish) were talking about this today, tapped their noses, passed significant looks, and wouldn't talk about it. But they were quite adamant that there is a lot more dodgy things to come out.

I'd well believe it, but can anybody pass on any rumours they've heard. Just to shoot the breeze, like. :)

Instinct alone tells me there is more to come out, but I have no inside knowledge.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Word is that the former regulator encouraged the banks to help each other out by borrowing and lending off each other to narrow the gap between customer deposits and loans. To give an example, if I have €50 loaned out and only €10 on customer deposit that looks bad as a ratio of 5:1. If I lend €50 to my mate who places it on deposit with me, that brings my loans up to €100 and my deposits to €60 which is a ratio of 5:3, which looks much better. Of course, I only have to do this when my accounts are being prepared - it would make no sense having this on my loan book all the time.
    Also, I have heard it said in passing that there is a lot more to come out.

There probably is a lot more to come out, but unless those two solicitors are involved high up in banking circles or have worked for the major banks I doubt they know any more than a well informed joe on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Moved to Banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Already covered previously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement