Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CryEngine 2 Screenies [56k warning]

Options
  • 01-03-2009 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

A few screenies showing how far they've taken the CryEngine 2 graphics engine

Crysis-ToD-Forrest-01.jpg
    Crysis-ToD-Forrest-05.jpg
    Crysis-ToD-Forrest-10.jpg
    Crysis-ToD-Forrest-06.jpg
    Crysis-ToD-Forrest-08.jpg
    Crysis-ToD-Forrest-09.jpg
    Crysis-ToD-Forrest-18.jpg

Full article with more pics

These scream pre-rendered promotional shots to me, wonder what sort of specs it'd take to play at this detail at a decent rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Your images don't work. Don't hotlink from other sites, upload them yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Fixed now, thing is I could see them :D Was tryin to save the bother of uploading them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still dont even have a pc that can play Crysis, never mind the up and coming sequel. Looks amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its starting to suffer the same problem CGI had, as you approach reality all the little blemishes that were glossed over in the past stick out like a sore thumb.

Graphics rendering needs to move towards Ray Tracing, its the next step. But game developers will argue that Intel are forcing them in the wrong direction. Game developers wish there to be one or two highly clocked processor cores, while Intel are moving towards multi lower clocked cores. The problem is not multi-threading a game, its putting the pieces back together in real time is next to impossible. Although Intel did produce this demo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blfxI1cVOzU

Cinema 2.0 is a step in the right direction, check out the reflections in this video. The character is purposely made this animated to show the contrast. Supposedly this was generated by a single HD4870
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWgQp_LL-Cg

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

That's pretty incredible. I know people bitch and moan about not being able to play their games at decent frame rates but you have to hand it to Crytek. They're just about the only developers pushing the boundaries graphics-wise at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Graphics rendering needs to move towards Ray Tracing, its the next step. But game developers will argue that Intel are forcing them in the wrong direction. Game developers wish there to be one or two highly clocked processor cores, while Intel are moving towards multi lower clocked cores. The problem is not multi-threading a game, its putting the pieces back together in real time is next to impossible. Although Intel did produce this demo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blfxI1cVOzU

Cinema 2.0 is a step in the right direction, check out the reflections in this video. The character is purposely made this animated to show the contrast. Supposedly this was generated by a single HD4870
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWgQp_LL-Cg

Like with any type of processor, there is only so high the mhz can be clocked up to. Multiple processing units is the only way they can go in reality.

Maximilian wrote: »
    That's pretty incredible. I know people bitch and moan about not being able to play their games at decent frame rates but you have to hand it to Crytek. They're just about the only developers pushing the boundaries graphics-wise at the moment.

+1, totally agree with that. I don't see any other developer pushing boundaries, most have gone lazy and opted for the console market.
    Praetorian wrote: »
    Like with any type of processor, there is only so high the mhz can be clocked up to. Multiple processing units is the only way they can go in reality.

Yes but 8 or 16 cores? Thats what we're going to see next year, its in Intels plan. Very few programs use 2 cores, never mind 8. Course its possible to clock higher, the only thing stopping it is temperatures, it just means further die shrinking which requires a complete change to their fabrication setup. They have a monopoly ATM tho and they decide what direction we move in. If AMD started producing 4-5GHZ clocked duals and quads they'd sell like hotcakes. Whats keeping me from upgrading (and it used be a yearly thing) is the fact that I don't see the need for any more than 4 cores

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

We have reached (or very nearly reached) the limits of silicon chips.
    Roll on Quantum Computing!

We have reached (or very nearly reached) the limits of silicon chips.
    Roll on Quantum Computing!

Maybe we are. Ever hear of Moore's Law, even Moore stated in an interview that the law cannot be sustained indefinitely: "It can't continue forever. The nature of exponentials is that you push them out and eventually disaster happens" and noted that transistors would eventually reach the limits of miniaturization at atomic levels.

Is 32nm we'll be seeing in the Core i7 in december atomic levels? I pretty much doubt it, I'd say thats years away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

looks nice, pity they can't make a decent storyline in a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

maybe this time crytek could add some gameplay to accompany the graphics engine.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Maybe we are. Ever hear of Moore's Law, even Moore stated in an interview that the law cannot be sustained indefinitely: "It can't continue forever. The nature of exponentials is that you push them out and eventually disaster happens" and noted that transistors would eventually reach the limits of miniaturization at atomic levels.

If you look at Moore's law in the long term, from the industrial revolution we see computing power rising exponentially. By rhe year 2020 -2030 that graph will have reached infinity.
    Something big is going to happen in our lifetimes gentlemen, something very big.
    (In before cawk jokes)

........have reached infinity.

:eek: couldn't resist :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Quantum computers would be awesome.

ctrl-alt-delete won't bring you to task manager though; it'll erase you out of existence :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

being a bit mean to crytek - crysis warfront was a great game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My god they look amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Something big is going to happen in our lifetimes gentlemen, something very big.

You, sir, owe me a new monocle. Your amazing, visionary insight has blown my mind and shocked me to my core.

Do you publish a newsletter? I would like to subscribe. :P

Well I used to have an article in the Washington Post, but over the years I found their editor to be frightfully ignorant of the technological developments ongoing in todays world.
    I withdrew my support post haste when he make a jape at my moustache and walking cane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

wowzers :O

Some of those shots look like pictures from a forest somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I equally love and hate the CryEngine 2. Love because it is so freakin awesome, hate because I can't enjoy most other games because they don't come close to it. I was really hoping that once the CryEngine 2 got released that devs using the Unreal engine would move over to it. But I think it's just too ahead of its time. Game devs don't want to risk making a game to run on PC's that the majority still don't own, and the majority don't want to buy better PC's that no games are being developed for. It's a vicious circle.

Once your average bargain bucket DELL can play Crysis at gamer settings I'd say the engine will get used a lot more. So let's say 5 or 6 years :p

Here's some screenies (below) I took myself while playing through Crysis: Warhead. Since then the mod community have released higher quality textures and bump maps, making the game look even better.

It really is a great engine, if only game devs would use it :(

All of my screenshots: http://leimrod.com/crysis-warhead-screenshots/

74129.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Amazing stuff!

Advertisement