Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council houses

Options
  • 01-03-2009 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

sorry for changing the subject here,
    looks like ye were having a bit of a dispute all over my thread glad ye got a kick outta it:D

now down to what i have to say

im in for a council house in my area and its now empty 2 months,
    got letter to say my current home is been assest(sorry for spelling :P) on thursday
    anyone in sligo how has been throught this applying for council house tell me does it take long after been assest before you know if you have the house or not

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

How long have you been on the housing list Glezo? They usually assess your current housing once you join the list, not when a house is being allocated to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭glezo

How long have you been on the housing list Glezo? They usually assess your current housing once you join the list, not when a house is being allocated to you.
    some reason i taught this also,
    but by the look of it not in this case cause im on the list over a year and when i rang the council they told me they wont assess me untill the house is ready

Sounds positive then. Good luck with it, and be patient, there is always a delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭glezo

Sounds positive then. Good luck with it, and be patient, there is always a delay.
    cheers tequila...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

Hi dont know if this is the right place but I tried so many times on the site to post new threads and cant find it.
    Basically I got made redundant from my job (like an awful lot of people) at the moment. Got the social welfare end of things nearly sorted but in order to get rent allowance i was told by the citizens advice to register on the housing list first before I could do that.
    I have been working for the last few years paid all my taxes etc like everyone else and I am sharing a 3 bed apartment with 2 other girls. I am single and have no children.
    So I went into the blanchardstown council today, she took one look at my form and said I was not considered to have a housing need!! I am unemployed now, no income and no money to pay for my rent and nowhere to go after that!! She said because I am single and dont children and not on disability I am not entitled to be on the list, and that if I brought the rent allowance form they would be signing it in the negative. I cant see my cwo until tues morning and this is worrying me now as it could mean i wont get rent allowance.
    I know a few single people with no children that are on the list, so I dont see why this should be different for me.
    I never owned a house before and even when i was working couldn not afford a mortgage, and have quite a bit of debt so wont be in a position to prob ever even get a mortage for quite a few years to come.

Does anyone know is this right?

Does this mean that in a months time I will be homeless??

Really worried now..
    As if things were not bad enough already! Have many of sleepness nights to come...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sashy wrote: »
    So I went into the blanchardstown council today, she took one look at my form and said I was not considered to have a housing need!! I am unemployed now, no income and no money to pay for my rent and nowhere to go after that!! She said because I am single and dont children and not on disability I am not entitled to be on the list

I think it's done on a points system. So yes a family with young children would get priority over a single person. The same way a council house that was adapted and had facilities for a people for disabilities (I'm thinking wheelchairs) means it's unlikely you'd get priority and rightly so if there a waiting list.

At the moment you don't have a housing need but this will change next month. Maybe they don't understand your situation fully. I think you need to talk to them and explain it again.
    Does this mean that in a months time I will be homeless??

Really worried now..
    As if things were not bad enough already! Have many of sleepness nights to come...

Go see your community welfare officer.
    Go see your local citizens advice center. They are very helpful and know all the systems and application procedures. They can make calls on your behalf. But I see you went to them already
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie

If this doesn't go well, start a new thread somewhere, people will help.
    We see this sort of question all the time :)

I rang citizens advice straight away afterwards and the girl down the phone told me she should not have made that judgement straight away. But I did tell her that I was unemployed and had no income. She just said sorry there is nothing she could do.

I know there is a lot of people out there that of course need a house, and I know there are priorty cases and I could be on a list for a years and more important cases will always jump ahead of me, I have no argument with that.
    I just cant understand how I know of so many other single people that are on the list with no children.
    All is want is help with my rent as I cant afford it otherwise.
    Can the cwo still help me with that even if I am not on the list?
    I would never expect to get a council house before someone that needs it more than me, all I am asking is a roof over my head, somewhere to live.

I am just afraid that the cwo cant do anything for me if I am not on the list..
    Sorry again, i have tried so many times on the site to start a new thread and it wont let me

You need to ring the council Monday morning and explain that you will be homeless in a month as you can't afford to pay your rent. I'm sure you won't have any problems, but be sure to get the name of who you speak to, in case you run into the person you were dealing with before.

Having your name on the housing list is really just a formality, to show the social welfare that you do have housing needs. You would probably never be housed from the list anyway, so it really is no odds to them whether your on it or not.

Try not to worry, and bring all documents with you - lease etc. It can be difficult dealing with these departments, a few manners lessons wouldn't go amiss in many cases.

Thanks Tequilamockingbird, thats exactly what I was thinking, about it only being a formality, I know my name would go to the end of the list and I wouldn mind it being there and I wouldn mind it being at the bottom of the list nearly forever while people that needed a house for their kids andis only fair people with having a disability got theirs which is only fair and I respect that fully.

A little bit of manners definately wouldn go a miss with them, especially when it effects a person with regard to having a roof over their head. I couldn believe it when she said she would be signing my rent allowance form in the negative, which would mean that I did not need rent allowance which would mean I didnt need a home if you know what I mean.

I will ring them first thing monday morning again and let you know happens.

Thanks your post made me feel a little bit better after the night of worrying I had.

Turns out that Fingal Co Council dont take single people on their list, I rang around most of the day yesterday. But nearly every other council in dublin will put me on their list and they seem to understand my situation. I was talking to a very nice person in tallaght council yesterday and she was very nice, old me to come in today and get the forms and then told me exactly what to do afterwards.
    Its strange how different councils have different rules to others!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Just_lil_ole_me

Anyone out there in a council house in north county dub or even balrothery looking to move to the town of balbriggan have a lovely 3 bed with a big back garden !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PCDave

At the risk of being shot here, let me put this out there! It's not a god given right for everyone to own a house, reading some of the posts in this forum people are suggestinf that they'll be made homeless in a month or so! surely people can stay with their family members until they get back on their feet? If you're currently unemployed surely it doesn't really matter which town you're in?

This whole idea of people just applying for a house to their local authorities is a complete joke, there are people out there busting a gut to make ends meet who will never own their own house but don't crib about it. Irish people are leaving home at earlier ages now and expecting the local authorities to supply a house is what has this country in it present state. House prices at ridiculous levels, demand driving them up!

Come on people, grow up, we're not kids, nobody is owed a living, get out and fight for it.

I think you might have posted in the wrong thread?

This thread is about renting council houses, not owning property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Turns out that Fingal Co Council dont take single people on their list, I rang around most of the day yesterday. But nearly every other council in dublin will put me on their list and they seem to understand my situation. I was talking to a very nice person in tallaght council yesterday and she was very nice, old me to come in today and get the forms and then told me exactly what to do afterwards.
    Its strange how different councils have different rules to others!

Fingal must have changed their policy so. I lived in an estate in Mulhuddart for years which was a mixture of private, affordable and social housing. There was a block of one bed apartments near me that were all council apartments and there was single people living in all of them. The majority of which were men.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angeltoes

Hi everyone like Sashy above I found it difficult to find the right thread to write this in.

My friend is having problems with her council housing situation. Her neighbours are being bullies, and a lot of them are settled travellers. She is just not tough enough to stand up to them. The council have told her in the past that she can not move house, but now the gardai have had to move her out for her own safety due to this harrassment. But she has nowhere to go. I'm thinking due to the harrassment the council will have no choice but to let have another house in another town. Does any one know what her options are ? Will the council give her another house in another town ?

Advertisement