Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which book had the biggest impact on you

Options
  • 01-03-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

It can be anything. One of the great classics, a self help book, a comic, a trashy novel, a history book, whatever you like. Im interested in hearing about books that have had a profound effect on your life, for whatever reason.

Lets have 'em...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

Encapsulates everything wrong about dictatorships in general, and European dictatorships specifically.

The way he devised news-speak, a language in which criticism of the government cannot be formed, was exceptionally well thought out.

Although maybe not as accessible as Animal Farm to those who are not familiar with history, it is far the superior novel in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Atlas Shrugged had a profound effect on the way I think about my morality and ideals. I ultimately adjusted them after reading this epic book. I found it very inspirational too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

I think this was a great idea for a thread.
    I had to really think about it because so many books have impacted the way I think and hopefully act.
    I have to say the book that had the greatest impact, only mainly because I was quite young when I read it was Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Everything I have read since adds to the way I think but this was a book that really challenged all the stuff they feed you at school on good and bad, the right way to do things and the wisdom of authority (ie. not much). It had an even bigger impact because I found myself laughing uncontrollably through every chapter and I always think if you can only make people laugh at the injustice and stupidity of how those in power often act you have a better chance of getting your message home.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Any answer other than the Bible is wrong.
    Unless you don't live/didn't grow up in western europe/south america.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Tillotson wrote: »
    Unless you don't live/didn't grow up in western europe.

Well, it's a fine, if brutal fantasy, but I preferred Lord of the Rings myself.

For me, it was On The Origin of Species. By far the book that has had the most impact on my life.

Edit: Or maybe "The Selfish Gene" or "A Brief History of Time"... can't make up my mind.

• Advertisement

Unless you don't live/didn't grow up in western europe/south america.

Have to disagree here the OP poster asked which book had the greatest impact on me/you...it is true that certain unnamed people who read the Bible had a big impact on me growing up in Ireland but can't say that guilt etc. came direct from the good book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Maybe the original question should be rephrased 'which book that you have read has had the greatest impact on you?' if the OP wants to discuss personal impact rather than a books impact on society?

I interpretted the OP as a personal question, so my answer would be Sophie's World. I read it not knowing what it was about when I was 11 and it really did change my outlook on life. At that age those philisophical questions hadn't occured to me yet and so it was interesting to ponder them without any outside influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

My World by Jonny Wilkinson:o
    Read it during my LC year, was usually a very lazy student who did the minimum I had to scrape through, but Wilko was a huge hero of mine, and when I read his book I was so in awe of his focus, drive and dedication I felt rather ashamed of myself, got my head down, and worked my ar*e off for the rest of the year
    So I guess that had a pretty important impact on my life. Cheers Jonny!:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If anything, On The Road.
    Read it relentlessly during my formative years.

That said I don't believe any one book has had a particularly big impact on my life as it is now.

Locamon wrote: »
    Have to disagree here the OP poster asked which book had the greatest impact on me/you...it is true that certain unnamed people who read the Bible had a big impact on me growing up in Ireland but can't say that guilt etc. came direct from the good book.

I think you misinterrupted my post. It's not about whether or not you believe in the bible, it's about how you need the bible to get context and referance in western culture.

Like it or not our morals are either a reaction to or stem from the bible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Like it or not our morals are either a reaction to or stem from the bible.
    But how many have actually read the bible? It's huge, meandering, conflicting and exceptionally boring for the most part. Most people's knowledge of the bible comes from snippets at mass, picturebooks as a child, or when the TV breaks in your hotel room.

I feel you're trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole here. As Fletch123 suggested, we're not talking about the book that has had the biggest influence on the society we live in. We're talking about the book that has had the biggest influence on you personally - which to me suggests that you have to have read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

damselnat wrote: »
    My World by Jonny Wilkinson:o
    Read it during my LC year, was usually a very lazy student who did the minimum I had to scrape through, but Wilko was a huge hero of mine, and when I read his book I was so in awe of his focus, drive and dedication I felt rather ashamed of myself, got my head down, and worked my ar*e off for the rest of the year
    So I guess that had a pretty important impact on my life. Cheers Jonny!:o

I read that too and got very motivated by it, actually it probably has made a difference in the way I apply myself to training since

And I say the bible influences the way we think and the way our society functions, of which we are part.....Agree to disagree?Sorry about dragging the tread off course.Anyway, Steinback's "The Pearl" influenced me a lot, mainly because of the age I was when I read it. When you read a book is a big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Quaver

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I first read it about 10 years ago, and the line "a Sophie-shaped hole in the universe" has always stuck with me. I've since re-read it countless number of times, and it has blown me away as much every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Well, I've said it many times on this forum, but Oryx and Crake is a book where I've compared every new book I've read to it.

It will be interesting to see whether this speculative book of fiction will be mirrored during the rest of my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 glitterbugs

Personally ive a soft spot for, to kill a mocking bird, part of my ancestry in part..also admit to being a huge harry potter fan:D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Personally ive a soft spot for, to kill a mocking bird
    i loved this book when I read it in school many moons ago. But it never really made sense to me. so I waited a few years untill I was 'older' and really got into reading and I bought it again, and read it. And thoroughly enjoyed it.

the one book that really has left a mark on me is The Jester by James Patterson & Andrew Gross. best book I have ever read!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

'Cosmos' by Carl Sagan had a big impact on setting perspective for me at a time in my life when I needed direction.
    I also found Desmond Morris' book 'The Naked Ape' was an true eye-opener and helped me get a grip on what the hell was going on in this adult world I was entering into.

As stated before timing is everything, and both of those books I read in my mid teens, and helped set me on the particular course my life has taken.

I dont think any fictional works have impacted me greatly really, mainly because I much prefer humourous books to anything serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Well, I've said it many times on this forum, but Oryx and Crake is a book where I've compared every new book I've read to it.

It will be interesting to see whether this speculative book of fiction will be mirrored during the rest of my lifetime.

I loved that novel. First Atwood novel I ever read. I've been working my way through her back catalogue since.

OP, that's a very tough question to answer. I read City of Joy - Dominique Lapierre when I was about 11 and it's stayed with me since in such a vivid way. It was probably the first novel to ever grab me in that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Probably White Castle by Orhan Pamuk. Its only a small book, and its based off a real manuscript he discovered, but it simply blew me away. Imagine being enslaved and having your identity ripped away from you? (Won't go into more detail that that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Made me think "Christ, I'm a better writer than this guy, somebody give me a pen"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

theCzar wrote: »
    Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Made me think think "Christ, I'm a better writer than this guy, somebody give me a pen"

Candidate for post of the year anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Cosmos for me as well. Carl's perspective on our place in the universe, how we came to understand the world around us and discover science is told through beautiful poetry and makes one think of the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

No One Here Gets Out Alive - Danny Sugarman

It is a biography of Jim Morrison and it is an amazing read. Afterwards I decided it was time I did what I want to do instead of what other people might want/expect. Then I discovered Hunter S. Thompson ... :D

Consider the influence of those two one after the other.

RonMexico wrote: »
    No One Here Gets Out Alive - Danny Sugarman
    It is a biography of Jim Morrison and it is an amazing read. :D .

Read it when I was around sixteen fantastic music biography. Helped I was really into the Doors as the time.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Malached

The last thing I read and enjoyed :-P.
    When I was about twelve. I picked up a copy of the Lord fo The Rings (full trilogy) and loved it. I suppose that must have had the biggest impact, 'cause I read whatever. Except that I have never been able to get through Ulyses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Malached

Oh yeah, and read something by W Shakespeare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

not sure how to answer this one, 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene really got me intrested in string theory and the universe and all that,

but i think theres only been one book where i had to put it down for a few hours, it just hit me like a punch in the face, or something. it was 'less than zero', by bret easton ellis, i had read american psycho, so i was expecting some gruesomeness, but the bit near the end with the girl... (although thinking about it now, american psycho was worse, but, you'd be expecting that). that, and some bits near the end of 'marabou stork nightmares' by irvine welsh

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

I just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I can't remember the last piece of fiction to move me like this, the sheer unrelenting despair of the thing is almost unbearable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

For me, it's definitely The Chronicles of Narnia series by CS Lewis. Mainly because it was the series that got me hugely in to reading when I was ten. I haven't really stopped since.

Advertisement