Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which book had the biggest impact on you

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ScribesQuill

A lot of books have had an impact on my life, the ones I can think of right now are:

Animal farm: I was always interested in politics, even as a child and while I had realised back then that most politicians are out for themselves, Animal Farm thought me that some political systems are infinitely more preferable than others, even if it's still crooked!

The Lord of the Rings: An amazing journey through fantastical lands that explored the development of languages and the depth of prose. Awe inspiring!

Not a book as such but anything by Charles Dickens; he made me realise that class systems existed and that being on the wrong end of that system made it extremely difficult to prosper in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Would it be fair to say though that a lot has changed in Europe since the "Hard Times" of Dickens era?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

The books that move me tend to change every now and then. But the one book which has had a life-affirming quality to it was Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley. I found myself identifying with the main character - to a slightly disturbing degree. It was almost like Huxley wrote that book for me personally. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

Plato's The Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Two for me.

Anne Franks Diary

Should be compulsory reading for everyone in Ireland at the moment. Would put people "problems" in perspective.

The Billionaire Who Wasn't by Conor O'Clery

The biography of Chuck Feeney, an Irish American who, at the height of his success, recognized that his multi billion dollar fortune was too much for one person to have. He has proceeded to give every cent of it away, mostly anonymously

• Advertisement
Advertisement