Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i get my broadband from one house to another 90m away?

Options
  • 01-03-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

how do i get my broadband from one house to another 90m away?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

wi-fi link i suppose ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You could try cat5 but you would be pushing it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

put wifi outside window on ledge today and see if that works

if so get a weatherproof box and put the wifi outside in that box

if the signal will not go 90m and penetrate then you would be looking at cat5 cable or a pair of wifi units

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

u might get one of those
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4Z6F&SearchType=1&CategorySelectedId=11030&SearchTerms=Buffalo&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=11030
    1 it has dd-wrt firmware preinstalled
    2 good wi-fi range
    3 u can use it in CLIENT mode ( SO u can pair it with your wifi router )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Wifi will cover that range, depends on what is in the way, trees, other buildings.

You did not really give us much to go on here.

You could use Cat5/Cat6 external cable, this is what I have gone with as it was a pain to get good WiFi signal though my 2ft thick walls. I have it running about 70meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

you could try getting your hands on some 2.4 transmitter gear, same stuff some wisp's use mount the base station on the house with bb and the reciever on the other house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ballyrick

the house is accross a road with cars passing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Two routers might work but it reccommend 2 of these to ensure a good strong signal:

http://www.ubnt.com/products/picostation.php

Aerial.net have them but are out of stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

if that 2 houses are on the same esb supply you could use a homeplug adapter

can i get a thanks too :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

mukki wrote: »
    can i get a thanks too :P
    Thanks whore :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I was talking to him and told him to ask here.
    Wired is not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I was talking to him and told him to ask here.
    Wired is not possible.
    Different power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Depends if there is much interference between you.

You could setup a wireless bridge using two wrt54gl routers with dd-wrt installed. You will probably need an external antenne which you can buy here:
    www.confero24.com
    Then set up WDS on the routers and you will have your wireless bridge. You can then put the second location on a seperate VLAN so that they cannot access your network - just the broadband connection etc (if you so wish).
    I have setup such a link for two buildings 300m or so apart with line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The buffalo routers linked should do the job, I have used then to connect my sisters place to my parents. The signal has to go through two walls and about 60 - 70 meters (one wall is about 16 to 18" thick) and that was with the latest Buffalo firmware too, not DD-wrt.

No cars crossing through my signal though. Also every bridge you make with these things halves your wireless speed. I think I saw somewhere that when they are bridged the remote router cannot use its wired ports, just wireless (that may only be with the stock Buffalo firmware)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You could try cat5 but you would be pushing it..

Max length 100m

Rule of thumb - 85m

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

iRock wrote: »
    Max length 100m

Rule of thumb - 85m
    Or go with 3Com/Cisco routers, as I recall they promise you 150m as long as you use their equipment (was a while since I did serious network cutting though) or if you was serious enough to consider pulling 100m of cable between two houses fibre (cost more to set up but the potential...).

Max length 100m

Rule of thumb - 85m
    Hence pushing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

After your neighbour's broadband?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ballyrick

thanks.....what about a router and than to pick it up a satellite dish to pick it up!!!but how will i do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

You might try a wifi usb key mounted where the LNB goes on the dish at the receive side. The dish would have to be quite close to the computer though or you'll be getting into usb extensions which are awkward and expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

did this before with a couple of friends pack in 2000 I think when BB was first coming out in Ireland. What we did was get up on the roof and install a wireless access point on one and a wireless router on the other. The signal strength wasn't the best so we installed both with tin can antennas (for pinapples if you must know) to make them directional instead of radial and used a laser pen that I had to roughly line them up. The distance between the house must of been over 200m. You couldn't actually see the roof of the other house without binoculars.

Unfortunately we set it up in the autumn and come spring time we noticed signal strength dropping and eventually it completely fell off. We went back up on our roofs and found the trees between the 2 houses, that where previously leafless and not an issue where now completely blocking the signal from getting through.

Still it was a good few months of file and BB sharing and endless games of HL and CS1.5 before it got made redundant. It was still in place by the next autumn but by then I had gotten my own BB so had no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Nody wrote: »
    Or go with 3Com/Cisco routers, as I recall they promise you 150m as long as you use their equipment (was a while since I did serious network cutting though) or if you was serious enough to consider pulling 100m of cable between two houses fibre (cost more to set up but the potential...).

To the best of my knowledge 150m is not possible (as stated in the RFC's etc) unless its Fibre obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

To the best of my knowledge 150m is not possible (as stated in the RFC's etc) unless its Fibre obviously.
    150m is possible but not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Hence pushing it...
    Cat 5 And a Repeater.

otherwise try a wireless bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

Cables will probably be a bit messy across a road, unless you have some tricks up your sleeve?

I gave a quick look on Maplin and found this:
    12 dBi Directional Window Wi-Fi Antenna
    Pretty impressive if it does what it says on the tin!

By the way Ballyrick, have you line-of-sight to the house across the road, i.e. no walls or trees blocking the view?

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

One suggestion also is to make sure to get wireless N routers/bridges. I have found the improvement in signal quality with wireless N massive. I share broadband with a neighbour (house is right behind ours) and having updated the routers from buffalo g bridges to wireless n bridges found a big improvement in overall file transfer rates and quality of signal.

Wireless N is much better at punching through interference from other wireless networks (well at least until there are more N networks about I suppose!).

I use these from dabs as the wireless bridges between the two houses. Great value and haven't let me down to date.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=529B

Although unless you can move the routers to the top floors of the two houses (if there is a second story) the passing cars could cause a lot of problems. Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Max length 100m

Rule of thumb - 85m

Actually its a 90mt rule..the extra ten is to allow for patch cables both ends... for a home environment 100 mt or a little bit more is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Cat5 wrote: »
    Actually its a 90mt rule..the extra ten is to allow for patch cables both ends... for a home environment 100 mt or a little bit more is fine

From the horses mouth.

Advertisement