Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Broadband Provider

Options
  • 01-03-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

hi all,

I have eircom broadband at the moment and i'm thinking of changing to a different provider as i am p off paying for the phone line rental as i dont use the phone at all.

I'm looking at BB packages that dont need a landline base.

These are the one's i've seen so far,

O2 Mobile Broadband
    Digiweb
    Chorus ntl (i have sky tv, dont know can i get this one?)

i dont know if there's any other providers i can add to that list that dont require a landline base.

any one have any of these packages? are they good or bad?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

I wouldn't advise you to get mobile broadband as your main access to broadband, I'd only use it as back-up if I was on the move.

Do you know if you're able to get Chorus NTL (UPC) in your area? If so I'd advise you to go for that option over Digiweb, much more reliable and overall better speeds. You can get 3Mb for €28.00 per month with free connection at the moment and I'm pretty sure you don't need to change your sky TV over.

Hope that helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

paddyb125 wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise you to get mobile broadband as your main access to broadband, I'd only use it as back-up if I was on the move.

Do you know if you're able to get Chorus NTL (UPC) in your area? If so I'd advise you to go for that option over Digiweb, much more reliable and overall better speeds. You can get 3Mb for €28.00 per month with free connection at the moment and I'm pretty sure you don't need to change your sky TV over.

Hope that helped!

Thanks for the reply.

Why wouldn't you advise me to get mobile broadband as my main access to broadband?

Im sure i can get NTL in my area alright. €28.00 per month is the job, half what im paying at the mo.

Thanks again Paddy.

Mobile broadband isn't really broadband, more like mid-band...its handy if you need to catch up on some work on the train but it can be very hit and miss and its very rare that you reach anywhere near the speeds quoted by the providers.

Mobile broadband isn't really broadband, more like mid-band...its handy if you need to catch up on some work on the train but it can be very hit and miss and its very rare that you reach anywhere near the speeds quoted by the providers.

Ok, i understand now. nice1 again. I'll start looking around again so.

No problemo!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

You should consider nomadic wireless internet services also.

Clearwire
    Irish Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

denashpot wrote: »
    hi all,

I have eircom broadband at the moment and i'm thinking of changing to a different provider as i am p off paying for the phone line rental as i dont use the phone at all.

I'm looking at BB packages that dont need a landline base.

These are the one's i've seen so far,

O2 Mobile Broadband
    Digiweb
    Chorus ntl (i have sky tv, dont know can i get this one?)

i dont know if there's any other providers i can add to that list that dont require a landline base.

any one have any of these packages? are they good or bad?

thanks!

Hi,

Yup, here's a link to a list of isp's hope you find a good one

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/List+all++Services/

Mobile broadband is broadband. is only suitable for laptops. Pay rates are usually pretty similar to that of using your mobile phone. Can be expensive ...depends on your isp.

Here's a link I have found that may be of help to know about mobile broadband and what it is.

http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/guides/what_is_mobile_broadband/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

merlie wrote: »
    Mobile broadband is broadband. is only suitable for laptops.

It isn't broadband, by any reasonable definition, but it is suitable for pretty any compatible computer, not just laptops. It is designed for use on the move though, and should never be used as a substitute for actual broadband.

jor el wrote: »
    It isn't broadband, by any reasonable definition, but it is suitable for pretty any compatible computer, not just laptops. It is designed for use on the move though, and should never be used as a substitute for actual broadband.

I know what you mean but if you had checked the link I had pasted you would see it being described as Mobile Broadband, and it is defined as such and yes it is mainly suitable for laptops for those on the move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlie wrote: »
    I know what you mean but if you had checked the link I had pasted you would see it being described as Mobile Broadband, and it is defined as such and yes it is mainly suitable for laptops for those on the move.

Lets however not compare the UK's "Mobile Broadband" aka Midband products to those in Ireland,

While the technology is much the same the network and backhaul is not and as such should not be compared as the same. In addition to this the price and package types are not the same.

All in all its best not to confuse them and the link you provided is to a UK Broadband comparison website which is only going to confuse users.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Lets however not compare the UK's "Mobile Broadband" aka Midband products to those in Ireland,

While the technology is much the same the network and backhaul is not and as such should not be compared as the same. In addition to this the price and package types are not the same.

All in all its best not to confuse them and the link you provided is to a UK Broadband comparison website which is only going to confuse users.

I was not comparing Uk's mobile broadband with those in Ireland. What I was trying to do was give a description of the term "Mobile broadband"...what the name means. Nothing more.
    If people read what I wrote that is all it is and that is all I mean't. I don't think anyone will get confused with what I wrote if it is read correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But mobile broadband, is not really broadband at all, as so many of the services you would expect to work on it, simply won't. The mobile operators will all make claims about how great it is, and some comparison sites too (apparently), but it doesn't change the fact that mobile is not an alternate to wired, or fixed wireless, broadband.

Any luck denashpot??

was working the last few days so wasn't able to do much.

thanks for everyones comments and help.

i'm not going for mobile broadband if its not real BB.

is chorus/ntl mobile BB?

anyone have it? do you have to have the tv package to get?

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

denashpot wrote: »
    is chorus/ntl mobile BB?

anyone have it? do you have to have the tv package to get?

No Chorus/NTL isn't mobile broadband it's cable it would be much faster and more reliable than mobile broadband.

Personally I don't have it but you don't have to get the TV package to get their broadband. As far as I'm aware you should be able to get 3Mb broadband without any cable tv for €22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

if i was you id get rid of sky and move the whole lot to ntl. youll pay about 50 for bb,tv and digital

Advertisement