Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help choosing mobile broadband without a contract

• 01-03-2009 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi All,

For a variety of reasons, mostly out of my control, I'm moving into a house this week just out of Athlone where 'proper' fixed-line broadband is not available. Unfortunately, I'm a web developer that works from home, so I'm not looking forward to this.

I'd appreciate it if people could refrain from suggesting that I move some place with fixed line broadband - I'm aware this is the obvious solution, but I'm a bit stuck for the moment and unfortunately that's how it is.

There seem to be a number of wireless options available, but almost everyone wants a 12 month+ contract - something I'm not prepared to do as there's a good chance I'll be moving to a place with proper ADSL in a few months. I don't mind spending a bit extra if I have to, though the satellite options were definitely out of my budget.

The Imagine Breeze 4Mb caught my interest most - 55Euro per month for 'up to' 4Mb up/down and they place a small antennae on the roof - I assume this means better reliability/coverage than the standard offerings. But this has a 12 month contract - I can't afford to pay 55 Euro a month for something I'm not using.

3 has the prepay option where you get 10Gb of data for 25 euro and no contract. This seems ok at a glance, but 3 don't seem to be a popular provider judging by people's comments here. It just doesn't seem right to sign up with a provider that is downright hated by so many.

O2 have a no-contract option for 30 euro, but it has a 5Gb limit which is a bit miserable. Most months I wouldn't need 5Gb, but it only takes one blowout to make the whole thing unaffordable.

The other option was clearwire. 25 euro for 512/128 speeds and no contract. Their faster packages all need a contract. I can probably live with 512/128 if I really had to, but I can't say I'm happy about it.

I currently use VoIP extensively, but that will have to change obviously - I'm going to have to divert these to a normal landline and just wear the extra toll charges for a while I think. Anyone recommend a good fixed-line provider with cheap tolls to New Zealand?

I'm also investigating the options of renting a desk in Athlone from someone who has got proper broadband - but I'll still need something for at home.

I'd appreciate any feedback regarding these options I have found, or if there are any I have missed. I'd also be interested in what the penalties are for blowing a contract, or if any of the providers are known to entertain waiving the contract period.

Thanks in advance.

Harvey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

harveykane wrote: »
    Hi All,
    For a variety of reasons, mostly out of my control, I'm moving into a house this week just out of Athlone where 'proper' fixed-line broadband is not available. Unfortunately, I'm a web developer that works from home, so I'm not looking forward to this.
    Harvey.

When you say that proper fixed line Broadband is "not available", do you mean not already installed in the house, or not available anywhere in the area? Is it is just not installed, and you are worried about signing up for a 12 month contract. A little known secret is that some of the DSL providers have 6 month contracts (eg eircom). These usually work out slightly more expensive per month than the 12 month bundles, and they tend to advertise their 12 month bundles more heavily. If you won't be around for 12 months, a 6 month contract might suit you. It usually only takes 1-3 weeks to get DSL activated in a house. Another option might be to check for Wi-Fi signals from your neighbours, and offer to share the cost of their Broadband for a few months. Clearly you are looking for decent Broadband, and you are going to be disappointed with any of the mobile/wireless options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 harveykane

I ran the broadband availability check on the existing phone number with eircom / vodafone and it failed. So no fixed line broadband in the immediate area :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

harveykane wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'd appreciate it if people could refrain from suggesting that I move some place with fixed line broadband - I'm aware this is the obvious solution, but I'm a bit stuck for the moment and unfortunately that's how it is.

There seem to be a number of wireless options available, but almost everyone wants a 12 month+ contract - something I'm not prepared to do as there's a good chance I'll be moving to a place with proper ADSL in a few months. I don't mind spending a bit extra if I have to, though the satellite options were definitely out of my budget.

The Imagine Breeze 4Mb caught my interest most - 55Euro per month for 'up to' 4Mb up/down and they place a small antennae on the roof - I assume this means better reliability/coverage than the standard offerings. But this has a 12 month contract - I can't afford to pay 55 Euro a month for something I'm not using.

3 has the prepay option where you get 10Gb of data for 25 euro and no contract. This seems ok at a glance, but 3 don't seem to be a popular provider judging by people's comments here. It just doesn't seem right to sign up with a provider that is downright hated by so many.

O2 have a no-contract option for 30 euro, but it has a 5Gb limit which is a bit miserable. Most months I wouldn't need 5Gb, but it only takes one blowout to make the whole thing unaffordable.

The other option was clearwire. 25 euro for 512/128 speeds and no contract. Their faster packages all need a contract. I can probably live with 512/128 if I really had to, but I can't say I'm happy about it.

I currently use VoIP extensively, but that will have to change obviously - I'm going to have to divert these to a normal landline and just wear the extra toll charges for a while I think. Anyone recommend a good fixed-line provider with cheap tolls to New Zealand?

I'm also investigating the options of renting a desk in Athlone from someone who has got proper broadband - but I'll still need something for at home.

I'd appreciate any feedback regarding these options I have found, or if there are any I have missed. I'd also be interested in what the penalties are for blowing a contract, or if any of the providers are known to entertain waiving the contract period.

Thanks in advance.

Harvey.

It is hard to get good broadband without a contract. I have yet to come across one that does even with a good speed, which is essential for your type of work. Here is a link to a list of isp's which may be of help to you.

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/List+all++Services/

As to the Vo1P service you mentioned. Perhaps the best thing for you would be a skype phone buy a phone number and one of their subscription packages. I have a skype phone and call Uk landlines for free anytime of the day. It was a subscription I picked out as I call England regularly. So Skype may be an option for you, also it is available via your pc. It all operates much the same way as a normal phone.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/allfeatures/onlinenumber/

Also another service provider of Vo1P is:

http://www.blueface.ie/

Hope this is of some help to you. Good luck with it all.

Merlie :)

Advertisement