Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are lidy/aldi fruit tree's good quality

Options
  • 01-03-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi

I recently bought some plum and cherry tree's at aldi or lidyl (I allways mix these up sorry) and am just about to plant them, but read in the Sunday Times magazine that often supermarket plants and trees are dead by the time we get them.

Does anyone know about this? Or have any reccomendations?

Thanks,

Anne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I bought a cherry in Lidl 3 years ago and it cropped fairly well in its second season, bought a plum this year and it is already starting into bud. Run your thumbnail along the stem and scrape off a little bit of bark, if the stem is green underneath, it's alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 anne h.

Thanks,

Great tip, appreciate it!

Anne

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I bought the cherry tree about two years ago and it's still going strong. We even had cherries last year. Very surprised and happy with the tree, didn't expect Aldi/lidl stuff to last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've found that their plants are quite good quality - Lidl anyway - there's no Aldi around these parts. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Got a apple tree in Aldi a few years back, it produced several fine big apples in its second year, bought a pear the other day, hoping to get the same result as the apple.

Off topic question: Should I prune the trees? If so when? And how much would I cut off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

eoccork wrote: »
    Got a apple tree in Aldi a few years back, it produced several fine big apples in its second year, bought a pear the other day, hoping to get the same result as the apple.

Off topic question: Should I prune the trees? If so when? And how much would I cut off?

Borderline now but I'd still have a go.

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1907.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

eoccork wrote: »

A new fruit tree needs only a light prune at first, then pruning to shapre in subsequent years. During the first couple of years after planting, cut stems back to a bud to encourage formation of a more bushy growth.

Winter is the best time to prune apple & pear trees, so get out there before it gets any warmer!

Burn or dispose of prunings - as composting them may introduce pests & diseases which can survive composting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stone12

Bought loads of fruit trees from both Aldi and Lidl and almost all thrived, including an amazing black locust tred. The cherries are spectacular and brighten up my garden every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭mattcullen

Bought a couple of apple trees from lidl a few years back. Both doing well yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

mattcullen wrote: »
    Bought a couple of apple trees from lidl a few years back. Both doing well yeah

I just planted one from woodies yesterday that has 2 types of apples growing on it or something like a Frankenstein apple tree. Hopefully it does well! The flowers are gorgeous on them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 stone12

Out of more than twenty, I had one that did die and another that grew weird - but still lives. The fruit is perfect and the purple leafed plum is exquisite all summer long.

Advertisement