Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help camera stolen!

Options
  • 01-03-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hey I really need some help.
    Bout two weeks ago at my bros 21st my camera was stolen at it. It was a gift from my gf at xmas and its basically brand new. She took out insurance on it thankfully. However im not sure how im going to claim it, as it doesnt fall exactly into the theft insurance part of the contract

The contract states

Your product will not be covered by theft insurance if:
    • You have not taken the necessary precautions to prevent your product from being stolen
    • you have given your product to someone else to look after
    • your product is stolen while it is out of your sight or control unless
    a) it is stolen from a motor vehicle where you or someone with your authority was with the vehicle
    b) you had it hidden from view in your vehicle , locked your vehicle with all your windows, sunroofs and roofs closed and used all available security systems or
    c) you had locked your product in your home, office or room, with all windows closed and used all available security systems
    • you will not be covered if your product is lost
    Im hoping someone will be able to tell me what to say to the shop to make sure I get a replacement camera. It would be really appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

you want us to help you lie to your insurance company?

What actually happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Random wrote: »
    you want us to help you lie to your insurance company?

What actually happened?

I think his point is that reading the T&C listed, basically you are only covered if somebody robs you at knife-point or such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You'll probably find you need a garda theft report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

What actually happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

She took out insurance on it thankfully. However im not sure how im going to claim it, as it doesnt fall exactly into the theft insurance part of the contract

Then you can't claim. Check your house contents insurance policy, if you have one, as items like this are sometimes covered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think his point is that reading the T&C listed, basically you are only covered if somebody robs you at knife-point or such like.
    Then tough? If that's what he signed up to.

Still hasn't given us exact details though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Well what happened is my brother had a house party organised by my parents with my relations, and his friends. Some people came to the party that he wasnt too familiar with but i presumed he knew since they were his friends. anyways I left my camera in a drawer in a room where they were playing pool, and I headed off to bed early because I was in work at 8. When I got home the next day it wasnt there, I searched the whole house, asked my relations and some of his friends did they bring it home by accident but everyone said they didnt.
    I thought my camera would be save in my own house, but unfortunely I was wrong.

also its not for an insurance company, its for a currys. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

given that set of circumstances you might be covered as it was in a secure-ish place in your house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Currys may have sold the policy, but they don't insure it, it's still done by a separate insurance company. It looks to me though, that it is covered under your policy. It was in your home, and someone stole it. You'll need a Garda incident report, and you should give them the names of everyone who was at the party.

• Advertisement

thanks but im not too sure. unfortunely it says "you had locked your product in your home, office or room, with all windows closed and used all available security systems"
    im guessing since the drawer was in a room with people it isnt exactly secure. the windows were closed, as people were forced to go outside to smoke. It was stolen tho, and it was out of my control

Thanks, i guess that report would be the best idea. I have a pretty good idea of who might have taken, although I am not going to start pointing fingers.

Advertisement