Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow risk Tuesday evening and night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea, i told you before about keeping all the snow to yourself:P

is any of it settling up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

MET.ie @ 16:32 : "Heavy snow showers in many areas this evening and tonight"

:confused:

Thats this evenings forecast! The just responded to what was happening! They didnt mention heavy snow in the afternoon forecast ,which it has been doing here .
    Nacho yeah a lot of the snow has settled on top of what was here already, especially in the fields ,where some depths of snow are the lenght of my hand!
    the roads are probably alrite now ,but it still did a nice top up.

Looks like the cold spell isnt gona be end as quick as we first thought
    Look at sunday nights forecast ;)

Current Forecast

04 March 2009 16:32

Today

Heavy snow showers in many areas this evening and tonight, leading to some accumulations. A risk of scattered thunderstorms. Sharp to severe frost overnight also, with some icy roads. Lowest temperatures of 0 C to minus 4 C.

Tomorrow

Frost will clear early Thursday, as will most of any lying snow. It will be a cold breezy day with sunny spells and showers, though the showers will be turning less wintry. Highest temperatures of 5 C to 8 C, with fresh and gusty west to northwest winds.

3 Day Outlook

Thursday night will begin dry with widespread frost for a time. It will turn milder as a freshening southwest wind and increased cloud bring a spell of rain later in the night and during Friday morning. The rain will clear to leave Friday afternoon and night mostly dry. It will turn cold again, and a slight ground frost may form on Friday night as winds ease. More rain will spread eastwards across the region during Saturday accompanied by milder southwest winds, low cloud, and mist. The rain will be patchy in nature, but will turn persistent and heavy during Saturday evening and night. The rain will clear to blustery showers for Sunday and it'll turn cold yet again, with some of the showers wintry or of hail.

Tonights Warnings
    Warnings
    horizontal rule

Weather Warning

Issued at 04 March 2009 - 18:06
    Weather Advisory
    Snow showers over much of the country this evening,tonight and at first on Thursday, leading to some accumulations.
    While these could occur any where, the heaviest falls are likely over Ulster, Connaught and Munster, where deposits of 3 cm to 5 cm are possible.
    There will be widespread sharp to severe frost overnight also, with the danger of icy conditions on any untreated roads.
    Frost will clear Thursday morning, as will any lying snow at lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowing very lightly here. Big flakes when they do fall though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Blizzard in Firhouse here at the foot of the Dublin Mountains!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Blizzard in Firhouse here at the foot of the Dublin Mountains!

Thats mad, I'm in Ballinteer and not a thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Very light snow here. +0.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Some light snow here (Firhouse).

*curses*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

not sure where all this snow meteireann has forecast is coming from...looks like some early shower activity but then a lot quieter. had showers here in north cork but wet snow only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Had a really heavy snow shower here for about 5-10 minutes, cleared up now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

not sure where all this snow meteireann has forecast is coming from...looks like some early shower activity but then a lot quieter. had showers here in north cork but wet snow only.
    I wonder do they look at the charts that we see.
    Was amazed to see their warning earlier.
    Maybe they got burnt from last night when parts of cork got several inches. I see no snow tonight for most so why do they mislead
    How often does this happen:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

heavy sleet in clondalkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Heavy sleet here in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

total covering here and still coming down really heavy. Nice big fluffy flakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bone dry here. Nuffin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Anything coming later tonight that has a chance of making it over to the east ?

Opr

I wonder do they look at the charts that we see.
    Was amazed to see their warning earlier.
    Maybe they got burnt from last night when parts of cork got several inches. I see no snow tonight for most so why do they mislead
    How often does this happen:rolleyes:
    To be honest - any snow that falls tonight will settle.

Look at the latest radar and theres loads of clumps of showers all up along the western seaboard.
    They are well capable of going 30 or 40 miles inland...meaning a lot of people will see snow tonight.
    Thats the nature of showers.

Some get a lot and some get none

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Also showers tend to come in trains travelling in straight lines maybe only 20 miles wide...thats why some areas in the fire line of those trains can see several inches [as when you are in the line,it's like being in an outbreak as it wont stop untill the last line passes through and the line could be 50 miles long travelling slowly] whereas a few miles up the road theres nothing as they are out of the path of the shower train.

So the people out of the path of the shower trains will be saying the met are wrong and those in it will be saying they are right...

Cant win can they?

Such is the job.

Who'd be a forecaster eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Lashing down here in South Carlow. Only took about 20 mins for a good inch to settle. Amazing considering everything was so wet beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Duiske wrote: »
    Lashing down here in South Carlow. Only took about 20 mins for a good inch to settle. Amazing considering everything was so wet beforehand.

That's what she said! :D

Pangea wrote: »
    Looks like the cold spell isnt gona be end as quick as we first thought
    Look at sunday nights forecast ;)

Current Forecast

Based on the latest forecast i doubt any of us at lower levels will see snow on Sunday. More than likely it'll be prolonged outbursts of rain in a stiff westerly breeze. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Based on the latest forecast i doubt any of us at lower levels will see snow on Sunday. More than likely it'll be prolonged outbursts of rain in a stiff westerly breeze. :rolleyes:
    lol u should be wiser than that ;)
    I dont even go by forecasts anymore , 4 days ago or so there wasnt much word about snow , then yday met eireann said that the snow would be on high ground but yet I get 4 or 5 inches of the white stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

that blasted aunt rang me again and says oooohh look im snowed in.typical im 10 mile from her.shes north kilkenny.even carlow got a pasting.i missed the train im afraid,lookin very poor for rest of night:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Heard its snowing in south kilkenny.

And so much for the forecasted thunderstorms this evening:(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

quite cold here wher i am in dublin, strong possibilitie of snowing

Pangea wrote: »
    lol u should be wiser than that ;)
    I dont even go by forecasts anymore , 4 days ago or so there wasnt much word about snow , then yday met eireann said that the snow would be on high ground but yet I get 4 or 5 inches of the white stuff

perhaps you're right pangea and we will get snow on Sunday. although, to be fair, on the broadcasts i listened to yesterday, the forecaster did say that snow would accumulate during the night at lower levels. they only mentioned the snow being confined to high ground during the day.

anyway, hopefully this chart is correct for Sunday

prectypeuktopo.png

Well yesturday mornings forecast was more accurate as it mentioned accumulations for last nite ,but then yday evenings forecast downgraded it a bit.

Heres yesturday evenings forecast.
    Current Forecast

03 March 2009 16:20

Today
    Rain and sleet in eastern parts, with snow on high ground, will move away eastwards in the early evening as clearer weather and wintry showers of hail, sleet or snow continues to spread from the west.
    Tonight

Tonight will be very cold with further wintry showers across the country, the showers most frequent in the west and southwest and some of the showers heavy and possibly thundery. Winds will decrease light to moderate westerly inland and temperatures fall to between +2 to -3 Celsius giving a sharp to severe ground frost with a risk of icy patches

the latest meteireann reckons the west and south west.. is this an error i.e. did they mean northwest? though per the radar seems a lot of showers in the south west.

Ok no more ranting about met eireann from me lol

Im very happy with the snow i got so far, had a great day of snow , sliding down hills with my nephew lol great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sleet in Waterford City now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

hmm! looking at the latest satelight picture shows an area of cloud approaching the north, would this bring something?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

That blob of showers to my north looks to be heading for me ,

however 1.8 / dp 1.7 not very favourable .

latestradar.gif
    w356.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

ppn seems to be intensifying ,

55555555555555555555555.gif
    w356.png

EDIT 23.50 :soft hail/sleet shower , settling .

Advertisement