Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow risk Tuesday evening and night

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very heavy snow here nr Durrow this evening. Nearly 2 inches fell in 90 minutes after 730pm. There was a heavy sleet shower around 630pm which had the ground drenched. So it was surprising that most of the snow stuck. Some slight thaw afterwards on the roads. Still nr 1 inch lying on grass and roofs etc... Currently 1c.

Looking north, there could be a rather widespread snow event in the wee hours...???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hasnt been a flake of snow or even a a drop of drizzle since the rain cleared yesterday, bone dry here. Think i'll have to hope for one last easterly based cold snap before the winters out for anything to come here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

32ZVf9TwqqlTY
    As you can see the cooler airmass has now just tipped africa.should be closed off up our end soon by the looks of it.looks like someone scraped it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The heavy snow that was forecast for my area never came , did anyone get the snow last nite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

It snowed on the way into town this morning which was a nice surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Did I hear we are due stormy weather next week??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Many areas saw some snow, some saw alot, some saw nothing. That is just the way it is this time of year. That may suit you, it may not but I appoligise to those who missed out and those who prepared for more. It did not work out exactly like I thought it would. Thanks to BB and other for your comments earlier. I will be more specific next time.

Anyhow once again another situation were Met Eireann closes the stable door after the horse has bolted so to speak. I watched the weather forcast with my jaw almost dropping increduously as time and time again on Tuesday and even overnight they (more specifically Gerry Murphy) kept talking about sleet and hail and "perhaps" snow on high ground in the SW and W. Id say the people in Mitchelstown were pleasantly supprised.

Winter is not over just yet so I hope they are awake next time.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Many areas saw some snow, some saw alot, some saw nothing. That is just the way it is this time of year. That may suit you, it may not but I appoligise to those who missed out and those who prepared for more. It did not work out exactly like I thought it would. Thanks to BB and other for your comments earlier. I will be more specific next time.

Anyhow once again another situation were Met Eireann closes the stable door after the horse has bolted so to speak. I watched the weather forcast with my jaw almost dropping increduously as time and time again on Tuesday and even overnight they (more specifically Gerry Murphy) kept talking about sleet and hail and "perhaps" snow on high ground in the SW and W. Id say the people in Mitchelstown were pleasantly supprised.

Winter is not over just yet so I hope they are awake next time.

same here lad.i couldn't believe how they were callin it.there all nowcasters.time for us to move into glasnevin i feel and show them how its really done:D. and just on the point that winter is not over yet,i agree.ecm and gefs hav nearly exacts charts for GLH building and cold approaching patrick's day.looking like a good trend so far.one to keep on eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

redsunset wrote: »
    same here lad.i couldn't believe how they were callin it.there all nowcasters.time for us to move into glasnevin i feel and show them how its really done:D. and just on the point that winter is not over yet,i agree.ecm and gefs hav nearly exacts charts for GLH building and cold approaching patrick's day.looking like a good trend so far.one to keep on eye on.

The ECM 00z was stunning :eek:,if that run happens I wont have too worry about the snow turning too rain or whatever,would be freezing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the radio forecasts were consistent during this cold snap as they stated there would be snow showers at all levels during tuesday and wednesday night which would lead to accumulations in places. indeed on tuesday the radio forecaster stated the west and south west would see the bulk of the showers. no mention was made of the north west.
    also, as was pointed out given time of year it's difficult for them to predict where exactly the showers will occur. i normally would do quite well in the setup just gone but this time i didn't.

• Advertisement

the radio forecasts were consistent during this cold snap as they stated there would be snow showers at all levels during tuesday and wednesday night which would lead to accumulations in places. indeed on tuesday the radio forecaster stated the west and south west would see the bulk of the showers. no mention was made of the north west.
    also, as was pointed out given time of year it's difficult for them to predict where exactly the showers will occur. i normally would do quite well in the setup just gone but this time i didn't.

been a while since i listened to the radio.in sayin that why didn't they transfer the same forecast then to the tv.nealy always have conflicting forecasts those met eireann guys.anyway im just sayin that all of us could do just as good a job as them at the moment,and there bein payed.right thats it then,i suppose this thread should be closed now,was fun:D

been a while since i listened to the radio.in sayin that why didn't they transfer the same forecast then to the tv.nealy always have conflicting forecasts those met eireann guys.anyway im just sayin that all of us could do just as good a job as them at the moment,and there bein payed.right thats it then,i suppose this thread should be closed now,was fun:D

yes it is strange how there is a big difference between the radio and tv forecasts at times. you'd swear they weren't the same organisation. anyway, as you say it probably is time to lock this now, let's hope this thread isn't our last on wintry weather until late in 2009:)

holly1 wrote: »
    Did I hear we are due stormy weather next week??

there will be a fairly blustery westerly wind on Sunday but i don't think it will be Stormy.

Amazing how quiet the forum gets once the snow melts.

Pangea wrote: »
    Amazing how quiet the forum gets once the snow melts.

start a thread about heavy snow on Sunday and watch what will happen;)

If the BBC charts are reliable then Sunday is looking good for some snow fans.

Lol , can u post a link for them weather charts ?
    I looked on bbc but didnt see anything about snow.

It was on an earlier forecast, the precipitation chart for Sunday showed snow showers for the west and north west on Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

It is on met eiireann now.....came as a surprise here too:)

Cold on Saturday night with wintry showers in the southwest, west and north but too breezy for any significant frost. Sunday will be a bitterly cold and windy day with strong westerly winds and blustery wintry showers but there will be bright or sunny spells also. Some of the showers will be of hail or sleet, with snow on high ground, and some heavy and possibly thundery. Sunday night will be cold with further wintry showers but still too breezy for any widespread frost. Monday also will be cold and windy with further showers, the showers turning less wintry during the day. The strong west to northwest winds will ease during the afternoon and the showers tend to die away by evening. Rain will spread from the west Monday night, the rain turning to sleet or snow on northern hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

sorella wrote: »
    It is on met eiireann now.....came as a surprise here too:)

Cold on Saturday night with wintry showers in the southwest, west and north but too breezy for any significant frost. Sunday will be a bitterly cold and windy day with strong westerly winds and blustery wintry showers but there will be bright or sunny spells also. Some of the showers will be of hail or sleet, with snow on high ground, and some heavy and possibly thundery. Sunday night will be cold with further wintry showers but still too breezy for any widespread frost. Monday also will be cold and windy with further showers, the showers turning less wintry during the day. The strong west to northwest winds will ease during the afternoon and the showers tend to die away by evening. Rain will spread from the west Monday night, the rain turning to sleet or snow on northern hills.

mention of snow for the first time on sunday...i prefer when met eireann are just predicting rain/hail showers further out and then they upgrade ever so slightly..do the experts think that the showers(after dark) will fall as snow at lower levels or is it too early to say yet?

i would prefer if the wind was coming from the north west and it was less windy. however, with the wind there is a better chance of showers making it further inland but i have a feeling that the showers will be more of sleet than snow at lower levels. still, the 850 temps look favourable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

yup looks like the north all the way down to the south west will certainly get a fall of snow. I don't think the east of the country will see much but we can hope:pac:
    This is a temperature chart for Sunday morning at 06.00hrs. And below that chart is precip at the same time.
    090306_0000_54.png
    090306_0000_54.png

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Here we go again , groundhog day , time for a new thread methinks.

this thread is past its sell by date,please post in new snow potential thread.

Advertisement