Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow risk Tuesday evening and night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Met.ie seems to be hedging it's bets on Tuesday, they're more upbeat about Wednesday. Again it's very unlikely that Dublin will get anything worse than a dusting.

(And a dusting is all that's needed to create havoc :rolleyes:)

arctictree wrote: »
    TBH - the GFS seems good for widespread snow on Wednesday. Max temps of 2 or 3c and lots of precip around.

Should have a covering at my location anyway.

A
    Should do.
    Without going into all the technical detail which you'll have no doubt looked at-the athmosphere will be very unstable by wenesday.
    You may even see back edge sleety snow up there from the front on tuesday night.

I think at sea level maxes will be 3 to 6c though except in showers.
    I wouldnt trust gfs on it's own for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Do the models show anything more concrete for tomorrow in terms of how much snow fall we get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wouldn't mind a thunderstorm or two but I don't think I'll see any snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

well met eireann still goin for all rain for tuesday afternoon and evening but i feels theres that small window of the backedge turning wintry.500mtrs and above could see something special 36-574.GIF?02-6lower levels nothing too significant.everywhere soaked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

met.ie:

Tomorrow

Windy tomorrow with widespread heavy rain. Sleet or snow for a time over parts of Ulster and Connacht. Rain, sleet and snow will clear away eastwards later, with wintry showers following from the west. Highest temperatures of 3 C to 8 C, with strong and gusty southwest to west winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I wonder if it's time to ressurect the Convection and Thunderstorms thread? Looks like Met is giving more precedence to TS events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hi all ,Im coming back to the weather scene here once i heard the word snow lol
    So whats in store? ,the thread got me excited but the past page or 2 has been all downhill .

Letterkenny ? Should see some snow up there..

Letterkenny ? Should see some snow up there..
    yeah probably ,only i live in south donegal , letterkenny good bit away . :(

• Advertisement

i agree with this chart more than last one.the eagle has now forecast snow following in behind morrow night.expected the brown blob over wicklow.(ignore link)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mar at 0am GMT[/FONT]
    uk.snow.36.288b.jpg

Whos the eagle?
    John eagelton?

Pangea wrote: »
    Whos the eagle?
    John eagelton?

the one and only!! said it after 6 news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I think you're confusing him with Gerry Murphy - it was he who gave the forecast on the 6.1 news. He mentioned snow showers tomorrow night, but was a little light on specifics, looks like one of those nowcast events.

Darwin wrote: »
    I think you're confusing him with Gerry Murphy - it was he who gave the forecast on the 6.1 news. He mentioned snow showers tomorrow night, but was a little light on specifics, looks like one of those nowcast events.

yep your right.got mixed up

thats a fair ball of water coming.

NtIBdBeeWnp62

dew point still bit high
    [URL="javascript: viewimage(1);"]ukpaneltemp.png[/URL]
    durin best precip.west fairing better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Watching with interest.... Well stocked as the lane was a mess for many days last time:)
    yeah probably ,only i live in south donegal , letterkenny good bit away . :(

gfs_18-24_30.png i'll resign to nowcasting this one.won't be long now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

The Scottish traffic cams showing heavy snow in the north of Scotland.

• Advertisement

aye see that now.weather warning was issued for there.we're in for a fair old soakin ourselves.we might get some sleet as the front clears away.better chance for snow wed i feel now but this one is really to hard to call

Leinster THIS JUST IN
    Display:

aw12.jpgvalid from 03.03.2009 11:00 CET Until 03.03.2009 18:00 CETWind
    Awareness Level: Yellow

maximum-gust-speed 70-80 km/h
    "Southwest to south winds, with mean speeds of 35 to 50 km/hr, will gust to between 70 and 80 km/hr in exposed places and will veer westerly later."
    :

aw22.jpgvalid from 03.03.2009 16:00 CET Until 03.03.2009 23:59 CETSnow/Ice
    Awareness Level: Yellow

snowfall 1-3 cm
    "Scattered wintry showers later on Tuesday will give snowfall accumulations of 1 to 3 cm in places, mainly on high ground."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Trotter wrote: »
    Sunglasses check... Shorts.. Check!... Factor 15.. Check!.. Rainjacket.. Check!

Hi from Waterford. Land of no snow.
    Your bang on there, forgot teeshirt!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Watch the front developing over western Ireland this morning, may produce thunder and hail in the east later (around lunch time), then I would agree that there is considerable snow potential after 4-6 pm when upper level winds veer to WNW and increase, with thicknesses dropping slowly, should produce widespread snow pellet and hail showers over western Ireland this evening and overnight, then more chances for snow on Wed and Thurs with troughs rotating around the upper low.

I don't think there will be any heavy amounts but widespread 1-2 inch amounts with 3-4 inches on higher mountain slopes. Thunder snow potential due to the very low freezing levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Watch the front developing over western Ireland this morning, may produce thunder and hail in the east later (around lunch time), then I would agree that there is considerable snow potential after 4-6 pm when upper level winds veer to WNW and increase, with thicknesses dropping slowly, should produce widespread snow pellet and hail showers over western Ireland this evening and overnight, then more chances for snow on Wed and Thurs with troughs rotating around the upper low.

I don't think there will be any heavy amounts but widespread 1-2 inch amounts with 3-4 inches on higher mountain slopes. Thunder snow potential due to the very low freezing levels.

you would think meteireann would have a warning on their website given the threat of snow. meteolarm have a warning for wind and snow for ireland but nothing on our national website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

you would think meteireann would have a warning on their website given the threat of snow. meteolarm have a warning for wind and snow for ireland but nothing on our national website!

The less they say about snow the more i think we will get some,
    remember last month they issued warnings when it was already snowing:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod/Heavy Sleet being reported at Malin Head at 9am.

just look outside, awful awfull wet weather here ,cant see snow lying :confused:

met eireann have an upgrade from yday btw

Current Forecast

03 March 2009 04:56

Today

This morning will be cloudy, with heavy rain spreading eastwards across the country, possibly falling as sleet or snow on high ground in Ulster and Connacht. Colder, clearer, showery weather will follow this afternoon and evening. Some of the showers will be heavy and possibly thundery and some will fall as sleet or snow later. It will be much colder than recent days, with top temperatures of just 4 to 8 degrees, and blustery southwest winds will veer westerly after the rain clears.

Tonight

There will be further wintry showers tonight, some heavy or prolonged leading to snowfall accumulations in places. A bitterly cold night is in store, with temperatures falling to between minus 3 and plus 2 degrees. Frost will form widely, despite blustery conditions, and there will also be icy stretches on untreated ground.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will bring a mixture of bright spells and heavy or prolonged showers, some wintry and thundery. Temperatures will reach 4 to 7 degrees and it will feel bitterly cold in the blustery west to northwest winds.

3 Day Outlook

Remaining bitterly cold through Wednesday night, Thursday and Thursday night. There will be some sunny or clear spells, but occasional heavy showers also, some prolonged and falling as hail, sleet and snow, with a risk of snow lying in places, especially in Connacht, Ulster and in west Munster. There is also a risk of thunder. Widespread frost at night, with a risk of icy patches. Breezy, with moderate to fresh west to northwest winds, veering northwest. On Friday, wet and windy weather will spread from the Atlantic, with rain and strong southerly winds, possibly preceded by sleet for a time. Clearer weather, with scattered showers, will follow later, with a risk of frost returning on Friday night. Early indications suggest that most of the coming weekend will be mild, but very unsettled with rain and times. Strong southwesterly winds also, veering westerly on Sunday, with a risk of stormy conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Current Forecast

03 March 2009 04:56

Today

This morning will be cloudy, with heavy rain spreading eastwards across the country, possibly falling as sleet or snow on high ground in Ulster and Connacht. Colder, clearer, showery weather will follow this afternoon and evening. Some of the showers will be heavy and possibly thundery and some will fall as sleet or snow later. It will be much colder than recent days, with top temperatures of just 4 to 8 degrees, and blustery southwest winds will veer westerly after the rain clears.

Tonight

There will be further wintry showers tonight, some heavy or prolonged leading to snowfall accumulations in places. A bitterly cold night is in store, with temperatures falling to between minus 3 and plus 2 degrees. Frost will form widely, despite blustery conditions, and there will also be icy stretches on untreated ground.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will bring a mixture of bright spells and heavy or prolonged showers, some wintry and thundery. Temperatures will reach 4 to 7 degrees and it will feel bitterly cold in the blustery west to northwest winds.

3 Day Outlook

Remaining bitterly cold through Wednesday night, Thursday and Thursday night. There will be some sunny or clear spells, but occasional heavy showers also, some prolonged and falling as hail, sleet and snow, with a risk of snow lying in places, especially in Connacht, Ulster and in west Munster. There is also a risk of thunder. Widespread frost at night, with a risk of icy patches. Breezy, with moderate to fresh west to northwest winds, veering northwest. On Friday, wet and windy weather will spread from the Atlantic, with rain and strong southerly winds, possibly preceded by sleet for a time. Clearer weather, with scattered showers, will follow later, with a risk of frost returning on Friday night. Early indications suggest that most of the coming weekend will be mild, but very unsettled with rain and times. Strong southwesterly winds also, veering westerly on Sunday, with a risk of stormy conditions.

Excellent:D:D

you definitely came back at the right time Pangea:)

Advertisement