Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow risk Tuesday evening and night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Sleet in Wicklow Town and at home 3:30-4pm. Snow line c200m.
    Pressure has dropped from above 1010mb at midnight to below 980mb now.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Now RTE weather are saying:

Today's Weather
    Rain and sleet in eastern parts, with snow on high ground, will move away eastwards in the early evening as clearer weather and wintry showers of hail, sleet or snow continues to spread from the west.

Tonight's Weather
    Tonight will be very cold with further wintry showers across the country, the showers most frequent in the west and southwest and some of the showers heavy and possibly thundery. Winds will decrease light to moderate westerly inland and temperatures fall to between +2 to -3 Celsius giving a sharp to severe ground frost with a risk of icy patches.

With big black clouds over dublin with snow on them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 obrienmichael

Snowing here in North Tipp. Very big snowflakes. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Snow has settled on the fields less than 2 miles from here which means snow was falling at the back edge of the front down to about 50mtrs [here] and settled at 100 metres which is practically sea level!

I noticed the same thing driving home on the N11. The foothills along Croghan were white, quite low- I'm guessing what I was seeing is the same general area you are in, Black Briar.

Then closer to home, I was surprised to see that Slieve Bui (Slieveboy)/ Monasootagh got a good dusting, and it went quite low there too - in the 60-90mtrs range. (Monasootagh is only about 150mtrs at most, I think). So it was pretty low here (has melted for the most part now).

Couldn't see Mt Leinster/Blackstairs for clouds.

Driving from Dublin to Arklow bypass was horrible heavy rain/sleet(& snow? hitting wind screen in blobs). Then it cleared for the most part - lots of clouds, but no precipitation.

Will check to see if I can get mountain info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Current Forecast
    hr.gif

03 March 2009 16:20

Today
    Rain and sleet in eastern parts, with snow on high ground, will move away eastwards in the early evening as clearer weather and wintry showers of hail, sleet or snow continues to spread from the west.
    Tonight

Tonight will be very cold with further wintry showers across the country, the showers most frequent in the west and southwest and some of the showers heavy and possibly thundery. Winds will decrease light to moderate westerly inland and temperatures fall to between +2 to -3 Celsius giving a sharp to severe ground frost with a risk of icy patches

the latest meteireann reckons the west and south west.. is this an error i.e. did they mean northwest? though per the radar seems a lot of showers in the south west.
    lol me too , south west? wat the hell ,big difference to the foreecast earlier on the website , doesnt mention anything about accumulations like it did earlier
    Heres this mornings forecast :rolleyes:

Pangea wrote: »
    Current Forecast

03 March 2009 04:56

Today

This morning will be cloudy, with heavy rain spreading eastwards across the country, possibly falling as sleet or snow on high ground in Ulster and Connacht. Colder, clearer, showery weather will follow this afternoon and evening. Some of the showers will be heavy and possibly thundery and some will fall as sleet or snow later. It will be much colder than recent days, with top temperatures of just 4 to 8 degrees, and blustery southwest winds will veer westerly after the rain clears.

Tonight

There will be further wintry showers tonight, some heavy or prolonged leading to snowfall accumulations in places. A bitterly cold night is in store, with temperatures falling to between minus 3 and plus 2 degrees. Frost will form widely, despite blustery conditions, and there will also be icy stretches on untreated ground.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will bring a mixture of bright spells and heavy or prolonged showers, some wintry and thundery. Temperatures will reach 4 to 7 degrees and it will feel bitterly cold in the blustery west to northwest winds.

3 Day Outlook

Remaining bitterly cold through Wednesday night, Thursday and Thursday night. There will be some sunny or clear spells, but occasional heavy showers also, some prolonged and falling as hail, sleet and snow, with a risk of snow lying in places, especially in Connacht, Ulster and in west Munster. There is also a risk of thunder. Widespread frost at night, with a risk of icy patches. Breezy, with moderate to fresh west to northwest winds, veering northwest. On Friday, wet and windy weather will spread from the Atlantic, with rain and strong southerly winds, possibly preceded by sleet for a time. Clearer weather, with scattered showers, will follow later, with a risk of frost returning on Friday night. Early indications suggest that most of the coming weekend will be mild, but very unsettled with rain and times. Strong southwesterly winds also, veering westerly on Sunday, with a risk of stormy conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Current Forecast
    hr.gif

03 March 2009 16:20

Today
    Tonight

Tonight will be very cold with further wintry showers across the country, the showers most frequent in the west and southwest and some of the showers heavy and possibly thundery. Winds will decrease light to moderate westerly inland and temperatures fall to between +2 to -3 Celsius giving a sharp to severe ground frost with a risk of icy patches

the latest meteireann reckons the west and south west.. is this an error i.e. did they mean northwest? though per the radar seems a lot of showers in the south west.

no they are right and i'm wrong:D

i heard the same thing on the radio forecast. He also stated the snow would be mostly confined to high ground during the day tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

check out the scottishy cctv now especially altnafeadh east and west
    http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/list.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

redsunset wrote: »

Lucky buggers :o

Opr

redsunset wrote: »

Altnafeadh East

there will be similar scenes over here soon enough:pac:

aunt just rang me to say heavy snow north kilkenny.she's only bout 10 mile from me.not fair i seem to be dodging the showers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

no they are right and i'm wrong:D

i heard the same thing on the radio forecast. He also stated the snow would be mostly confined to high ground during the day tomorrow.
    So what are you saying nacho, It's not going to snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dars

do you have anymore info on mountain top weather?

Dars wrote: »
    do you have anymore info on mountain top weather?
    Where in particular?
    Every mountain top is going to have snow in the coming days.I'd stay away from them untill the showers die down or unless you are very experienced.

danni2 wrote: »
    So what are you saying nacho, It's not going to snow?

I think it will snow at night over the next couple of days- but by day the snow will be confined to high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dars

well. pretty much a summary of mountains around Ireland really.

this is scotland now.thats it im moving.:pac:

E_Al_4.jpg?ts=090303185614

Dars wrote: »
    well. pretty much a summary of mountains around Ireland really.
    Snow showers then.
    Pretty much in any mountain range but more frequent in Ulster Connaught and west munster.
    Theres plenty of new fresh snow in the wicklow mts now also-I understand the sally gap is impassable again.Is that road ever passable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

I think it will snow at night over the next couple of days- but by day the snow will be confined to high ground.
    Oh ok, well I just seen the rte forecast and he mentioned snow for tonight and he said 1 or 2 will make it to eastern areas by dawn, as for tomorrow he said widespread showers of rain, sleet with snow on high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

The Blue Stacks - Donegal - had a dusting of snow before darkfall.

vast amount of speckled showers out there.its hit or miss tonight.noaa-15-03031714-no.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Brief snow shower in Limerick city just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm going to call "bah humbug" on this one.

There will be some ice/frost, there will be some white mountain tops and the odd place may even get an ickle bit of snow on the ground for an hour or two.

Other than that, the odd white flurry here and there ...nothing extrodinary for early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

the cars are all frozen here since 5pm ,thick ice! and it snowed here a while ago and gave a light dusting ,the cars are all white!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Mountain top snow report:

Report sent around 6:30 pm.(sorry for delay)
    TRUSKMORE - Snow (Heavy)
    MAGHERA - Light snow(thawing)
    MULLAGHANISH – Light Snow
    MT LEINSTER - Snow + freezing fog
    KIPPURE – Snow + Freezing fog
    THREE ROCK - Light Snow
    CLERMONT CARN - Light Snow
    WOODCOCK HILL – No Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Snowing here :D:D

light snow shower here now, every bit of it has stuck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bah humbug indeed. Heavy Snow = Rain. More astrology :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

light snow shower here now, every bit of it has stuck:)

if its snowing in the fires of hell, it could be a good night! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Snowing in Limerick City now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Snowing moderately in Cork for the last 20 minutes.It's lovely and powdery and it's sticking:D

Advertisement